I guess we're normal, then...

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

I guess we're normal, then...

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 am

saw this on CMON

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/sho ... Age-Survey...

I had always assumed our little demographic was wierd due to us all being expats and generally living in a non-average situation, but I guess I was wrong...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Miggy Smallz

Re: I guess we're normal, then...

Post by Miggy Smallz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 am

I don't see the connection between ages and being expats. If you're talking about age demographics, it makes sense-- young people who are out of college and are unlikely to be married, or are newly married, have the most disposable income... and war gaming and miniatures are nothing if not black holes of money. :lol:
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: I guess we're normal, then...

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm

You're both missing the point. The age demographic of people who use CMON is mainly the 26-45 age bracket. Over that and they probably grew up playing historical games at 6/15mm which dont have much in the way of presentation models. Below that and they probably dont spend the time painting that is required to be a regular member/viewer on CMON. If you did the same research on the average GW store you'd find that the results were heavily at the younger end of the scale. Likewise, if you went to a website that featured mainly historical wargaming (except for FOW cos thats only for cool youngsters) I imagine the age demographic would be older.

Kids have a lot of disposable income, pocket money, birthday and christmas presents, gifts from relatives etc and no bills to pay. GW mainly target kids since that is where the money is. Long time veterans often expand into other games, or just buy the odd mini here and there to round out a unit. (I am an exception). Kids get into the hobby, blow all their parent's money buying a full army. Splatter it with paint then get bored and sell it on ebay where veterans buy it.

In Nagoya there are no real gaming stores to attract the kids, and Expats are usually in their 20s at least since its hard to get a visa without attending university first. Our demographic just happens to match CMON rather than being the norm.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”