Mental Health and Support

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Mental Health and Support

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm

No, this isn't a joke or me just waffling on. Something has happened recently which has prompted me to start thinking about these things a bit more seriously.

Life can be tough at times, more so for us expats who are far away from our support networks of family and old friends. I had always assumed that everyone has someone that they can talk to when things get a bit rough, non-gaming friends, co-workers etc. However, that may not always be the case, so I would like to get this out there.

If you are having a hard time and want someone to talk to, I am always just a PM away. I'm obviously not a trained mental health professional, but if you want to grab a coffee or a beer and vent about something, or get some problem off your chest, let me know.

If something is bothering you, you don't have to deal with it by yourself. I realise it can be hard to open up to other people, but if you feel you don't have anyone locally to lean on, I am always around. And if not me, I think most of our membership can offer a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. We are nearly all in similar situations facing similar issues. I'd like to think that we are more than just people who roll dice together, but a community that supports one another.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: Mental Health and Support

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Great post Prim, and one I fully support. Although I'm not living in Japan these days, I'd like to extend the same offer (although meeting for a coffee or beer might be a hard stretch!).

There are also a number of mental health services available over the internet these days with trained professionals, so if you are having a hard time and availability of services or language barriers stop you from seeing someone locally, there are other options. e.g.: www.talkspace.com
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am

I second Yellowstreak. This is a very important thing that we tend to overlook. I've been there at times (nothing serious just the WTH I'm doing in this country level) and I know sharing certain things helps a lot.

M.

Pd: To add a bit of humour, where do I cry about buying figures and rules for game people barely know, less play?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 am

[quote="Miguelsan]Pd: To add a bit of humour, where do I cry about buying figures and rules for game people barely know, less play?[/quote]
If I knew the answer to that I'd have a lot fewer models and a lot more money.

@YS & Miguelsan - Thanks for the positive responses.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:26 am

Likewise - Thank you to Prim for posting this, and if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here to listen (as I suspect we pretty much all would be.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:39 am

This is a great post, Prim. I would think that some of us spend quite a bit of time on this forum just to find an outlet from solitude. I certainly have used the forum at times for a way to enjoy some conversation with others.

I’d extend the same offer as above. Not sure if I’d be the first stop for most people, but I’m always happy to have a coffee, tea or beer and talk. (Or water if that’s your thing, too.) And if nothing else, I hope anybody looking for help finds the forum a welcoming, friendly place to speak openly (or indirectly if not comfortable) to their difficulties.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:32 am

Miguelsan wrote:To add a bit of humour, where do I cry about buying figures and rules for game people barely know, less play?
That's a whole different support group! Subgroups include "Why am I buying my fifth army for a game i hardly ever play?" and "Terrain addicts anonymous". :D
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Auxryn
Champion

Post by Auxryn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 pm

I'd like to chime in to say that I see a psychiatrist monthly (a nice place in Komaki, though they don't speak English that I know of) and have been much happier in my life since starting a daily antidepressant last year.
My spouse (also an ex-pat) sees a different doctor here in Nishio and takes a different medication.
So there are options for mental health care here in Japan, particularly if your language skills are good. So if you've been thinking about it, do it.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm not sure how to put this (and I mean that sincerely - I realise it's hard to get tone across on the internet, but genuinely, I'm sitting here wondering how to express this without coming across as rejecting ideas - I just think it's potentially important info.)

While it's certainly true that there are good psychiatrists out there, please do be careful if you go to one for the first time, as there are some pitfalls to be aware of. I'm not speaking personally, but someone I know pretty well (who shall for the moment remain nameless as they're not here to give/withold permission) went to see a psychiatrist here and was immediately (on their first visit) prescribed anti depressants which (it turns out) are a) Illegal in the UK because they're b) really quite addictive. When this information came to light said person immediately stopped using the drugs and spent the next several months suffering from limb numbness, tremors and general nervous (physical nerves, I mean) issues due to withdrawal symptoms.

Point being, if you do go see a psychiatrist, and if they do prescribe drugs (which they almost certainly will), do a bit of research before you take them. FWIW, I believe the doctor in question was an older guy, which may have been a factor, as the medicine was an older type which has been superceded by better, more modern stuff.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating not seeing a psychiatrist if you feel it could be helpful - I believe the advice and actual sit-down chat type treatment he gave was a big help, and well worth looking into. Just be wary of the medicine, is all.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 pm

@ Auxryn: Thanks for sharing that. It takes guts to come out and say that. Often those suffering from depression (or other difficulties) don’t know how many of the rest of us suffer from something similar- whether chronically or at one phase in our life or another. So, thank you.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”