The Golden Age of Podcastery

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Konrad
Wargod

The Golden Age of Podcastery

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 am

I started to post about a podcast I recently started listening/watching and thought, "Hey, do we have a thread for those?"
Couldn't find one, so here you go. You're welcome.

I got together with my elementary-high school buddies (at least I think it was them, looked like a bunch of old men though) via Skype last weekend. We were geeking out and seriously talking about trying to do some good-ole DnD. Buddy mentioned there are actual podcasts, thousands of hours of people recording their gaming sessions.
I should not have been surprised.
I started playing "Critical Roles"https://critrole.com/podcast/ in the background while sculpting and was just about reduced to tears, half laughter, half nostalgia. Watching grown men (and a couple of women! Times change!) making magic sword noises,shouting "Natural 20!" and cooking up ridiculously complicated doomed-to- failure plans to outwit town guards, is just delightful. There is a vibe with a TRPG that you don't quite get playing with our toy soldiers.
Any other good game-geek podcasts anyone care to recommend?
I quite enjoy "Miniac" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTkWZ ... knoQeVkH1g Fun and inspiring. Puts you in the mood to "PAINT MORE MINIS!!!!"
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: The Golden Age of Podcastery

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 am

I can't really suggest gaming ones, but podcasts are the only thing getting me through painting. I think the ones I've been consuming are fairly well known but I'll give them a plug anyway:

History of Japan podcast ranges wherever it wills around the timeline but is an incredibly comprehensive body of work. I'm a fan and I really like the various Sengoku era episodes since we live right on top of a lot of the points of interest.

The History of Rome takes us through the history of the Western empire sequentially; mostly focusing on the doings of the folks in charge (as I imagine the source materials do) but still making for an epic narrative of a civilisation.

Revolutions is what Mike Duncan went on to after History of Rome and I'm a huge fan, it covers a ton of fascinating history that either I had a very low res picture of the outline of (English, American, French, Russian revolutions) or was completely ignorant of (Haitan and Mexican revolutions, the wars of South American independence, the revolutions of 1848). You may end up radicalised against Tsar Nicholas though.

History of Byzantium is Robin Pierson's continuation of the History of Rome in the *Eastern* empire, and is super fascinating. This is the one I'm working through now and will carry me through painting a Stormcast army.

99 Percent Invisible is a canonical podcast. It has a design focus but picks up an eclectic range of subjects. It has much higher production values and actual money backing it, giving it a very different feel to your typical "obsessed person with a microphone" podcast.
Last edited by Jye Nicolson on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:19 am

I have only ever listened to one podcast, a 40K themed one that I listened too at someone else's house, so I can't really recommend anything. I've heard of Critical Role, it seems pretty famous.

I'll have to give some of these a try at some point.

@Jye - You know historical wargaming is a thing, right? You can combine podcasting, painting and gaming into one, glorious hobby. :D

#edit# - Just tried the Revolutions link. Why is there no option to start from the first podcast on the front page? Or am I just blind? :roll:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:37 am

A second vote for 99% invisible - it's really good if you're into that This American Life / Radiolab mode of extremely informative nonfiction podcasts.

If you're looking for an actual play podcast and Critical Role's large backlog is daunting, Rude Tales of Magic is also really good, although, as you might guess from the name, the humor tends towards the sophomoric. I dig it, though, it's often laugh-out-loud funny and has some fun characters with surprising development. Mission to Zyxx, an improv comedy science fiction show, is likewise extremely hilarious. The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast is awfully funny as well, and (unlike those two) doesn't have any kind of continuity, so you can hop in any time (well, maybe not the latest one, episode 72, as it's the culmination of a very long ongoing riff on one of their real-life sponsors).

In the crowded field of serialized horror, the very well-regarded Magnus Archives just ended if you feel like working through a 200-episode backlog, and for something with a more American twist, Old Gods of Appalachia is ongoing and relatively new. I Am In Eskew was a short-run series that's quite good as well, and the creators have recently started a show called the Silt Verses, which people say is really good but is apparently recorded in just such a set of frequencies that it's always completely drowned out by the sound of my car no matter how loud I turn it up, so I haven't gotten into it.

I... listen to a lot of podcasts, apparently. A 30-minute driving commute will do that do one, I guess.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:09 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:19 am
@Jye - You know historical wargaming is a thing, right? You can combine podcasting, painting and gaming into one, glorious hobby. :D
Yeah I have trouble sticking to one faction from the limited pool in GW games, I'd be in real danger if I was selecting from "every army in history".

Or alt history, because obviously Toussaint Louverture's American Empire vs Napoleon would be pretty cool.
#edit# - Just tried the Revolutions link. Why is there no option to start from the first podcast on the front page? Or am I just blind? :roll:
Right, you'd think that'd be an obvious bit of UX. I imagine most of these podcasting folks have fraught relationships with their Wordpress pages.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:56 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:09 am
Primarch wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:19 am
Yeah I have trouble sticking to one faction from the limited pool in GW games, I'd be in real danger if I was selecting from "every army in history".
Probably explains why I've got everything from Afghans to Zulus then. :lol:

I'm going to try the Revolutions podcast tomorrow.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:56 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 am
I can't really suggest gaming ones, but podcasts are the only thing getting me through painting. I think the ones I've been consuming are fairly well known but I'll give them a plug anyway:

History of Japan podcast ranges wherever it wills around the timeline but is an incredibly comprehensive body of work. I'm a fan and I really like the various Sengoku era episodes since we live right on top of a lot of the points of interest.

The History of Rome takes us through the history of the Western empire sequentially; mostly focusing on the doings of the folks in charge (as I imagine the source materials do) but still making for an epic narrative of a civilisation.

Revolutions is what Mike Duncan went on to after History of Rome and I'm a huge fan, it covers a ton of fascinating history that either I had a very low res picture of the outline of (English, American, French, Russian revolutions) or was completely ignorant of (Haitan and Mexican revolutions, the wars of South American independence, the revolutions of 1848). You may end up radicalised against Tsar Nicholas though.

History of Byzantium is Robin Pierson's continuation of the History of Rome in the *Eastern* empire, and is super fascinating. This is the one I'm working through now and will carry me through painting a Stormcast army.

99 Percent Invisible is a canonical podcast. It has a design focus but picks up an eclectic range of subjects. It has much higher production values and actual money backing it, giving it a very different feel to your typical "obsessed person with a microphone" podcast.
History! Wha? No Gnolls? No Eldar?

I'm sure I don't need to mention "Hardcore HIstory". Dan Carlin just finished up the "Supernova in the East" epic the other day. I listened to that quite a bit while working on an American Revolution project for a buddy.

Great suggestions guys! I'll give some of those a listen this weekend!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”