Vidya Games Chat Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Vidya Games Chat Thread

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:40 am

I'm excited for Armoured Core 6, as I loooooved the original, but 8000en+ is a bit much for me to stomach for a game, so I'm going to wait for the inevitable steam sale down the line. I'm also a bit worried about the spec stretching on Phantom Liberty, as my pc, while decent, isn't great, and everything I've read about it suggests the developers are going all out to make top end gpus overheat and die 😕 We shall see...

Weirdly, I've never played a Baldur's Gate game, so I was blissfully unaware it hadn't launched here. I hope those interested get their hands on it sooner rather than later.

As for me, I've been doing my usual time killing with MtG:Arena, as I have accumulated a comfortable enough stash of cards/packs/game currency that I can just kinda cruise along maintaining resource parity while building the odd deck that takes my fancy. I recently updated my Grixis Death's Shadow deck to include Orcish Bowmasters and Snapcaster Mage, and dang I can see why better gamers than I got their knickers in a twist about their power levels when they were released (which was many years apart irl, but they landed on Arena pretty close together). I've also been puttering along with Fortnite. This season's final level skin is Ahsoka, a character who I'm rather fond of, so I'll probably see it through to at least level 100. They also reintroduced a silenced sniper rifle, which is exactly the kind of play style I like, so I'm enjoying taking folks out from hundreds of metres away, safely ensconced in a bush.

Honestly, though, I've actually been trying hard this past few weeks or so to play less games. I've been catching up on TV, and watched The Witcher and its Blood Origin spin off (less bad than expected, actually, and weirdly full of Scottish people. Why do all elves/dwarves have to be celtic, eh?) I've also currently got a VPN installed and am enjoyed The Legend of Korra (on UK netflix) immensely.

*Edit* oh yeah, I also installed Valorant, because my son was pestering me to do so. Dear. God. You think you're at least a reasonably competent at FPS games and then one comes along and makes it abundantly clear that you Suck. Big time. Without any exaggeration, my life expectancy in the game is 10-15 seconds. Every damn time. I dunno how people do it :shock:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 pm

Came across Boltgun https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005 ... 0_Boltgun/ recently - anyone tried it? Looks like old school Doom or Duke Nuke'em but 40K?
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:55 pm

I haven't tried it (I think Jye has?) but have heard good things - I'm not very good at boomer shooters so I didn't pick it up myself.

I have been playing a lot of Cyperpunk 2077 now that the big expansion DLC is out, and it continues to be real good - better, in fact, than when I played it a year or so ago thanks to a big patch with lots of reworking of game mechanics. It's a preem game, my choombas!

The news also came out recently that Horizon Forbidden West will be getting a Steam release in early 2024, so everyone who's been waiting on that can look forward to it. It, too, is a very good game, even though it has a bit of Open World Disease.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:01 am

Loved Boltgun, not least because the eponymous weapon is good and stays good through the game.

I'm not a connoisseur of "boomer shooters*" so can't compare it to recent entries in the genre but I had a grand time.

*seriously kids you can't call the games of my childhood that, even my parents aren't really boomers

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:03 am

I have been playing a bunch of things (and Cyberpunk is on the list to revisit) but the RE4 remake and the Separate Ways DLC really grabbed me. I wasn't actually a Biohazard/RE player the first time around but the remakes are great and 4 is the best of them.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:42 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:01 am
Loved Boltgun, not least because the eponymous weapon is good and stays good through the game.

I'm not a connoisseur of "boomer shooters*" so can't compare it to recent entries in the genre but I had a grand time.

*seriously kids you can't call the games of my childhood that, even my parents aren't really boomers
Sounds like its worth a try. Never heard the term "boomer shooter" :lol: - considering boomers generation ends in the mid 60s and Pong didnt come out until '72 it sounds like someone is trying too hard to make up fancy labels :roll:

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:01 am

YellowStreak wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:42 am
Sounds like its worth a try. Never heard the term "boomer shooter" :lol: - considering boomers generation ends in the mid 60s and Pong didnt come out until '72 it sounds like someone is trying too hard to make up fancy labels :roll:
If you said "Doom clone" kids these days would think you meant Doom 2016.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:18 am

I think at least part of it is the fact that boomer shooters focus more than some other genres on, y'know, explosions. Plus if you follow the usual pattern of "forgetting Gen X exists", the yoots lumping us in with boomers is on brand.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:01 am
YellowStreak wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:42 am
If you said "Doom clone" kids these days would think you meant Doom 2016.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I will say I bought 'Boltgun' and (possibly showing my age), am enjoying it immensely!

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”