Where to go now that maelstrom is dead

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Where to go now that maelstrom is dead

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm

A chap on CMoN linked here (Freakinacage, he of the bajillion posts and impeccable rep). Says it's his mate's shop, and that the folks are all decent. I had a quick look - good range, decent prices, free intl shipping orders over 30 quid. Ticks all my boxes, certainly. Might be worth checking out? (Come to that, has anybody tried em already?) I'm not looking to buy right now, but I'll prolly try here when I do.

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Re: Where to go now that maelstrom is dead

Post by Dungeon Lord » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks for the link MIJ.

Shame about Maelstrom, isn't it. Looks like Wayland Games cut their thoat by buying out Maelstrom's loan and demanding payment in full. Could be wrong though. I only briefly read what was on the site.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 am

Dungeon Lord wrote:Thanks for the link MIJ.

Shame about Maelstrom, isn't it. Looks like Wayland Games cut their thoat by buying out Maelstrom's loan and demanding payment in full. Could be wrong though. I only briefly read what was on the site.
Wow, is that what they did? Nasty.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 am

The Maelstrom Incident is a bit more complex than that. I won't go into details here (there are too frickin many of em is why) but essentially Wayland were not actually being nasty or cutthroat. Probably. There's a certain amount of ambiguity about the whole affair...

Btw, I ordered a couple of Malifaux books, a deck, and a mini from Firestorm minis. I just did it a few days ago, but so far so good. Frequent email updates as to order status, with the last one (the shipping one) being from an actual person, identified by name so's you can track em down if something goes wrong (e.g. a mis-pack or somesuch). Quite impressed, so far.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri May 26, 2017 1:20 am

So to resurrect a dead-ish thread, what are our best options for getting GW stuff in Japan now that UK discount retailers like Firestorm aren't allowed to ship here? eBay or Japanese prices?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 am

The Other Dave wrote:So to resurrect a dead-ish thread, what are our best options for getting GW stuff in Japan now that UK discount retailers like Firestorm aren't allowed to ship here? eBay or Japanese prices?
Ring-tail usually offers points on GW minis, so you can get a discount on later orders.
Ebay is a possibility, and if you don't mind second hand stuff, ask here on the forum or on facebook.
Family back home can help out, or if you/a friend is going on a trip you can get stuff that way.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri May 26, 2017 2:26 am

I'm going back to the uk on July 21st until early/mid August, and would be happy to courier stuff (assuming it'll fit in my suitcase. A RuleBook and a box of minis would be fine; three boxes of the new 40k starter set, not so much.) There are also eBay retailers who will ship GW stuff (new) overseas. I'll see if I can dig some up.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri May 26, 2017 2:43 am

Also he place in Midori-ku offers 10% off the sticker price as I recall.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri May 26, 2017 3:53 am

me_in_japan wrote:I'm going back to the uk on July 21st until early/mid August, and would be happy to courier stuff (assuming it'll fit in my suitcase. A RuleBook and a box of minis would be fine; three boxes of the new 40k starter set, not so much.) There are also eBay retailers who will ship GW stuff (new) overseas. I'll see if I can dig some up.
I'll probably ask one of you international travelers to set me up with at least one of the mini-codex index books. And yeah, I've got a good list of eBay shops, and UK-based ones tend to have extremely reasonable shipping - that's how I got the bulk of my current 40K stuff, and prolly what I'll go with in future. Was just checking if there wasn't a "real" store that could set me up.
job wrote:Also he place in Midori-ku offers 10% off the sticker price as I recall.
I do like supporting local shops, and buy from Ringtail when I can, but the roughly 100% markup between UK and Japanese prices on GW stuff is ouchy.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Return to “Links - リンク”