Hobby Shop Town Crier - Now open in Nagoya

kojibear
Legend

Re: Hobby Shop Town Crier - Now open in Nagoya

Post by kojibear » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 pm

I didn't realise he had only been a stockist. I thought he had been a partner all this time? (http://gamesworkshopjpn.weblogs.jp/shop/23_04.html)

I have been in to see Ikeda san and he did return my money, so no problems in that department. However, give him a call first and tell him when you want to come in and he will try to be there to open the shop for you. The shop's opening hours are sporadic, so best to call.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 pm

:|
Last edited by job on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Indeed, great intentions that just got hindered by a lack of business experience and know-how. I am sure he felt out of his depth when the reality set in and didn't know how to communicate with us. Still, one must take responsibility for these kind of things.

Perhaps, with a mentor to guide him he can get back on track.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 pm

The Other Dave wrote:Hm. I suppose this might explain why I still haven't got my single box of Tyranid Warriors I ordered and paid for in March. :?

Edit to add, in response to MiJ's second point: Perhaps not a very nice thing to say, but I think it's entirely reasonable that shops like Ikeda-san's are the reason GW is withdrawing support from shops like Ikeda-san's...
No, I doubt that is the reason at all. GW wants to control of all aspects of distribution of their product. Always have. When I worked for the FLGS, GW was always saying, "Oh, if you want this and this, you have to buy that and those too and put them on a big display in front of your store in front of the other companies miniatures." They couldn't shove it too us as well as they do now because these were the old days when internet shopping was in it's infancy and the nearest GW store was 2 hours away in another country and they needed little guys who love these silly toys to help them sell them. But ultimately, they have always viewed the people working to sell their products as competitors. As their own distribution organization has strengthened, it is easier to step on the "competition", these small outfits who do the actual "welcome-to-FLGS-how-can-I-help-you-ing" and build the customer base. It may be smart business. I don't know. I'm not a businessman. But it sure feels like bad business.
It's too bad Ikeda san is not a businessman either. The writing has been on the wall for years. I may actually come out of my Spevna stance and go and buy something from him now out of sympathy.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:36 am

You don't need to break your Spevna Stance to buy from Ikeda. He does stock non GW stuff.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:06 am

I couldn't agree more with Konrad and Spevna. Ikeda-san is offering apologies, refunds and friendly service. I wouldn't expect GW to offer anything similar. I myself turned my orders into a Bolt Action starter set and Ikeda told me of a service which includes the entire rule book translated into a Japanese language set.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 am

I'm glad to hear that everyone is getting their money back from ikeda San. While it is too bad what has come down, I would have appreciated some more honesty from him but yes, what should I expect in japan. Thus, once my money is refunded, no harm done but I definitely won't be using town crier again. Sorry but this problem with GW should not have taken 6 months to work out and to finally get around to refining people's money after dodging the problem again again.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Thus, once my money is refunded, no harm done but I definitely won't be using town crier again.
That is pretty much my take on the whole thing. While it has taken him time, he is refunding money to people. In light of that though, I understand why people would reluctant to buy from him. It isn't a reflection on him as a person as I have found him to be a pretty good bloke, but it is a reflection on him as a business man and perhaps he bit off more than he could chew.
While it is too bad what has come down, I would have appreciated some more honesty from him but yes, what should I expect in japan.
It may be a bit off topic but I am curious about what has made you think this way.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 pm

You don't need to break your Spevna Stance to buy from Ikeda. He does stock non GW stuff.
:) Thumbs up
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Spevna wrote:
Thus, once my money is refunded, no harm done but I definitely won't be using town crier again.
That is pretty much my take on the whole thing. While it has taken him time, he is refunding money to people. In light of that though, I understand why people would reluctant to buy from him. It isn't a reflection on him as a person as I have found him to be a pretty good bloke, but it is a reflection on him as a business man and perhaps he bit off more than he could chew.
While it is too bad what has come down, I would have appreciated some more honesty from him but yes, what should I expect in japan.
It may be a bit off topic but I am curious about what has made you think this way.
My thoughts exactly. Ikeda is a friendly guy but business wise, our relationship is over. I won't get into my thoughts on japan because this is not a forum for it and I simply don't have the hours to spend on said rant.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

Return to “Links - リンク”