NagoyaHammer - A discussion (or not...)

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: NagoyaHammer - A discussion (or not...)

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 am

Mike the Pike wrote:P.S. a lot of us are on Line. Why not use that?
That's a thought! Do you have the Japanese guys' line info?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 am

I haven't used it personally, but my wife does. It seems like the more inclusive you make it, the more intrusive it would become. Facebook, Mixi and NagoyaHammer all have the benefit of not making your phone ring every time someone responds to a post. Is there a way to temporarily opt out of conversations when you won't be attending that month and don't want 50 messages, but automatically adds you back in so you don't miss the next month's discussion?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 am

Primarch wrote:
I haven't used it personally, but my wife does. It seems like the more inclusive you make it, the more intrusive it would become. Facebook, Mixi and NagoyaHammer all have the benefit of not making your phone ring every time someone responds to a post. Is there a way to temporarily opt out of conversations when you won't be attending that month and don't want 50 messages, but automatically adds you back in so you don't miss the next month's discussion?
You can silence notifications by conversation, yeah, which can lead you to miss whole conversations if they move fast. But it really could be a nice bridge between "us" and "the Japanese guys," at least in terms of communication about events and what games we're bringing and such.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Personally I don't use any social media other than this site and Line. Line is very effective in my opinion for creating ease of communication. It is what most Japanese folk use, and when one is in Rome...
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 am

So long as people can opt in/out of conversations as they see fit, Line might be the best way for the groups to stay in contact and plan games together.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:09 am

Can Line be used without a Smart Phone? Just in case anyone around here still has a garakei, or anything...

As for the whole conversation, I would be quite happy to stick with a few popular games for the "main event" each month. It would be nice to play the same game a couple of months in a row even, so I don't have to reread the rules as much. I have drawn the line as to what games I will buy arbitrarily at historicals (nothing against them, just have enough models already), but wouldn't mind playing them occasionally, if it was all that was going on, and someone was kind enough to lend me an army.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Just my two cents - I've never used Line, but it does seem to be what all the cool kids are using these days (Japanese ones, anyway), so it does make sense to use it for organising stuff. Can't hurt to try. Has anybody asked the J-players what they think?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 am

@underdweller: Line is smartphones only, although there's an app for the computer too.

I'd start a group, but I'm pretty sure the only person I know from here on line is jus. :lol: Also, as mij suggests, we ought to check with the Japanese guys first. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a group, frankly. I'll ask Stooge on Facebook.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 am

Update: The Japanese guys do not, in fact, have a Line group, and it seems like they mostly communicate with Twitter these days, especially the Ichinomiya, Mie, and Nagoya miniature game groups. Personally I'm not enthused about Twitter, but if any of us do use it, it may at least be worthwhile to keep an eye on things. Stooge did say he'd let me know when the Ichinomiya and Mie groups plan some 40K or Warmachine, and I'll let people know here and on Facebook.

If anyone wants to start up a Line group, it may be worth a shot. I'd do it, but I think the only person from here I know there is jus.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 am

Well, I currently use neither Line nor Twitter, and have no real working knowledge of either.

As Pikey said, it may just be a case of making a greater effort to cross the room and ask each month.

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”