Thinking about playing…

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
Tenorikuma
Champion

Thinking about playing…

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 am

Hello guys, I'm a Japanese-English translator in Japan who used to collect and play some Mordheim and Lord of the Rings back in Canada. Having just discovered there is a Nagoya Warhammer scene, I'm thinking about getting into it. Leaning toward Fantasy at the moment, maybe building an army of dwarves or wood elves. Maybe I'll check out a games night somewhere to see what it's like.

Edit: By the way, what are the best places in Nagoya or Aichi to buy GW stuff?

はじめまして。僕は、カナダにいるときはモードハイムやロード・オブ・ザ・リングを収集したりしたものでした。最近は名古屋にウォーハンマー界が存在することを知って、やりたいなと思うようになったのです。ファンタジーが興味深くて、ウッドエルフやドワーフのアーミーを作ろうと思っています。どこかのイベントを見に行ってみようと思います。よろしくね。

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Thinking about playing…

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 am

Howdy and welcome to Naghammer :) there is indeed a games scene here, and it's surprisingly healthy, too. Not as many players as in the US or the UK, but sufficient to be able to find games when you want em :) I'm not actually in Nagoya myself (about an hour south of it) but I'm sure the local chaps will be along soon with some words of wisdom regarding where to buy. It used to be the best place to buy GW stuff was online, as the prices were less than half what GWJ charge. Obviously now the outside-europe sales embargo has nixed that (leading to some anti-GW sentiment around here of late. Don't worry - nobody has stopped playing, we've just been grumblIng about prices and looking into proxy models). That said, it is still a good deal cheaper to buy from GW UK or US and get minis shipped over than to buy locally. There are arguments for buying locally and supporting the local hobby community, but that's a personal choice :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and please feel free to chip in and join any of the conversations. Most of us have met and know each other pretty well, so if folks seem a bit casual at times, that'll be why :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 am

Hi Tenorikuma, welcome to NagoyaHammer.

As M_i_J says, there are a fair few gamers here in Japan, so getting some games in shouldn't be a problem. Sadly there isn't any Lord of the Rings going on in Nagoya, though some of the local players are just starting up a game of Mordheim.

There are a few places to buy stuff from if you want to get into the hobby.
First of all, there is the obvious:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home. ... id=1009660 - The Japanese GW homepage.
To be honest, with the current exchange rate, the UK website works out cheaper by a large margin. You can change the country location through an option at the bottom right of the screen.

In Nagoya you have two choices.

The first is run by one of our forum members. The shop name is Town Crier and the owner is called Ikeda san. It is a very new shop and is quite small and hard to find. However, he offers a good discount (on Japanese prices) and can order in anything you may want. To get there, go to Kamimaezu/Osu Kannon/Yaba-cho and walk to the Akamon entrance near Kamimaezu. From there, walk towards kanayama/away from Sakae on the right side of the road for a minute or two, paying very close attention to the shops you walk past. When you see a sign for a shop called Bubble Market, (if you reach the mini-stop convenience store, you've gone too far) duck inside the building and go straight down the stairs to the B1 Floor. The shop is at the far end of the hall. The shop is only open on Saturdays and Sundays (and the occasional fridays). Ikeda san speaks no English, but that shouldnt be a problem for a translator.

Alternatively there is Yellow Submarine which is near to the TV tower in Hisayaodori. Go to Hisayaodori Station on the Meijo/Sakuradori lines. Leave from exit 4B and go straight ahead. You will walk past a McDonalds and come to a small junction. Go across the junction and you will see a door on your left next to a cafe and a show shop (ABC Mart). Go in through the small door and go down the corridor to the elevator. Take the elevator up to the 4th floor. Yellow Submarine dont have a lot of stock and usually only have the newest stuff, but its one more place to check.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM using the button on the right.

Regards,
P.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out those two shops. (I like buying stuff in person when I can.)

I saw on your gaming schedule you have regular events at Joshin. What kind of turnouts do you get there? Mostly gaijin, or Japanese players too?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am

Tenorikuma wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out those two shops. (I like buying stuff in person when I can.)

I saw on your gaming schedule you have regular events at Joshin. What kind of turnouts do you get there? Mostly gaijin, or Japanese players too?
Recently, it is mostly foreign players, though there are usually a few Japanese players as well. We usually have between 6 and 12 people depending on folk's schedules.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”