Hello!

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
Colonel Voss

Re: Hello!

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Baddy is in Ogaki. I'm by far your closest opponent. Lots of ordinance coming your way. Need to get the range right on my deathstrike missile. :lol:
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 am

Hi, nice to see another Tau player-to-be in this part of the world! I can give you some advice if you want, but as others have said, it's better if you ask Badruck, since he's been playing a lot longer, and he is the one who introduced me to Tau! Anyway hope to see you at Joshin sometime.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:51 am

It should probly be mentioned that badruck is, in his heart of hearts, an ork. He just can't help playing like an ork, regardless of the actual minis in front of him. So, when you ask him "what should I do with my fire warriors?' and he says "mount em up in transpors and charge em at the enemy" you should take it with a grain of salt... :mrgreen:

On the down side, it makes it a right bugger when he is actually playing orks. I think ive beaten him once, ever... :(
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Eigen good to have you on board. I live in Tsu the same as MIJ. I'm the organiser for Tsu rpg festival. If you like rpgs check our thread on here and come along on March 3rd and 4th. Or Nagoyhammer in May for full on 40k mayhem.
Shameless name checking aside, good to meet you. I have been famous for my strops on here with anything I don't agree with and usually not game related, nuclear power saftey, riots, racism, the role of Shylock in the Merchant of Venice etc; but recently have decided to take a step back and just enjoy the games as that is all they are after all.
I play Ultramarines in 40k, Orcs and Goblins and Wood Elves, Empire, for fantasy, Red Devils for Flames of War, Prussia for Black Powder and lots of Warhammer fantasy roleplay (all editions) and my favourite Call of Cthulhu. Recently got a Blood Bowl team ready but haven't had more than one game with them.
Hopefully we can have a game someday soon. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Eigen
Rookie

Post by Eigen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am

Dark Eldar funded by Tau?! Nooooo....!

Although mean tacos, mmm. The best kind. Most spicy food in Japan hasn't been mean at all and I die a little inside. Luckily I can get the habenaro sauce from Meidi-ya in Nagoya. :D

Thanks for all the info! I'm checking the sites out! I received a couple PM's but can't seem to reply. Is there a minimum post count needed to upgrade my account? Or I might just be a complete nub for the moment and be missing something. Though "Contact XXXXX" isn't hyperlinked for me at all.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Eigen wrote:Thanks for all the info! I'm checking the sites out! I received a couple PM's but can't seem to reply. Is there a minimum post count needed to upgrade my account? Or I might just be a complete nub for the moment and be missing something. Though "Contact XXXXX" isn't hyperlinked for me at all.
There should be a reply option in the PM you receive. Or you can click the PM button to the right of any post. No upgraded accounts here.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Eigen
Rookie

Post by Eigen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the help, I think I had a problem with the comp I was on running scripts. Found it.

Finally got around to ordering a battleforce of Tau and a Pirhanna...sadly couldn't find any affordable Suits (which i need!) to combine shipping with yet...but at least for now I'll have some fun modelling and painting it up!

Does anyone know Tau lore fairly well? I'm trying to figure out the proper color schemes for all the vehicles (or just the ochre fire sept for everything?) if I wanted to go for the greater good

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a few pages about tau colour schemes in the codex, but tbh you can just make em up. Mine were a rather natty combo of grey suits with a kinda terracotta trim, with coppery gold shiny bits. Basically, if you choose a neutral-ish main colour, a contrasting secondary colour, and another contrasting colour for things like pouches or shiny bits on guns, you should be fine.

tatoeba

in retrospect, the grey coulda done with being a good few shades lighter and the terracotta a warmer brown, but hey ho, we live and learn. Anyway, Badruck owns these tau now, so if you paint em like that, itll get all confusing on the tabletop and whatnot :?

Eigen
Rookie

Post by Eigen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 am

Cool, that's a beautiful paint job, too.

I was looking through my model paints and I'm going to do the firewarriors and kroot in the traditional colors, if not a few shades off because of my available choices and my preferences (i always see that tau ochre base color as being so 'pukey'). The skimmers and tanks I'm doing in colors similar to RL USAF and Euro colors...greys and grey-blue tons in Camo patterns. The ground suits will be Nato Black and two dark green camo colors as well, but done in the traditional tau painting schemes. I want to keep the look the same but I want to use more realistic colors maybe. I'd love advice!

One thing, for your gradients, is that the lighting or did you actually paint gradient blends on your models? Did you airbrush or drybrush? Soon as the models come in and they're based I'll post in the painting forum my progress. :)

I just need to find a decent base coat spray paint. GW spray is SO pricey!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:01 am

On that model the gradients are just the light, sadly. However, since I did that mini I've gotten an airbrush, which is something I'd definitely recommend. Take your time buying one, tho, and don't expect to be able to use it well at first. They're finicky buggers, and not like paintbrushes at all.

With regards to spray cans, tamiya is your friend. Cheap (400yen a can) and a large range of military-esque colors. Make sure to get matt paint. Also, just my opinion, but spray cans should not be used for undercoats. They lay te paint on far too thick, and result in a semi glossy layer that repels further layers of paint. Use spray cans as primers. I.e. a light coat, almost a dusting, which probably won't get into all the nooks and crannies (might manage a tau tank, mind you) and then lay down a proper base coat with an airbrush or a big flat paintbrush.

Any further painty questions, feel free to ask. Also, coolminiornot.com is the business when it comes to painting advice. If you don't already, id strongly advise checking it out from time to time.

Finally, are you sure you want your units in different colours? I mean, it's fine if you do, but a lot of folks prefer a unified color scheme to create visual impact across the army. You're absolutely free to do as you see fit, tho :)

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”