New Year's Resolutions - Ongoing Thread

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
Primarch
Evil Overlord

New Year's Resolutions - Ongoing Thread

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:40 pm

It's the start of the year and that means that it is time to make unrealistic resolutions, impossible promises and infeasible decisions!

Honestly speaking I'm probably a bit set in my ways to make any big changes in my habits now, but it doesn't hurt to try. Last year I missed all of my targets, so this year can't be any worse. I think I could have reached my painting goals if I had focused on them, but a lot of the time I just didn't feel like picking up a brush after work. That seems to have changed a bit since I joined an online painting challenge, as I have found that having clear targets (and a sense of friendly competition) helps to keep me on target.
Sadly I didn't get in as much gaming as I would have liked last year, but with another year of being involved in my town's Kumiai group looming, I don't think I can do much about that.

So my goals are as follows:
1. Paint an average of 30 models a month.
I missed this last time, but I know it's possible if I can motivate myself. I managed 11 models in 6 hours just before Xmas (Ok, they were fairly easy to paint, but still), so I'm sure I can do it if I try.

2. Paint my American Airborne army.
I've had this for a few years now and I bought some extra reinforcements last summer, so I want to get them done and dusted. Ideally I want to run a Market Garden event this September, so I'll shoot for having the army done by then.

3. Paint a force for the American Revolution.
I agreed with Job to play a scenario for Black Powder based on the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. Things haven't kicked off yet, but my goal is to get my side of things done as a priority.

4. Continue working on my British in Burma project.
I have a lot of minis in boxes and some assembled and in need of paint, so I want to keep working on them and not get distracted by the next new thing.

5. Figure out the best way forward for this site.
Honestly, I've thought about pulling the plug a couple of times. There is usually a little footfall in the monthly gaming threads and a tiny bit in the ongoing painting thread, but that's pretty much it. A lot of time people visit the site, but don't post comments let alone any content. On top of that we have a few people who have either migrated entirely to social media or have done a vanishing act on the hobby front. This is due to a variety of reasons, be it family/work/convenience etc. I would like to say that NagoyaHammer will never sell your data, willfully spread fake news or welcome hackers trying to influence an election. :D

So there you have it, a few concrete targets and 1 which is fairly vague and wishy-washy.

がんばって! 8-)

P.s.
6. Be less curmudgeonly.
I'm an old grump and I know I can be particularly negative about a certain company and their products. I'm not going to fall back in love with them anytime soon, but I'll try to be more positive.
Maybe.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Re: New Year's Resolutions - 2019 edition.

Post by kojibear » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Another year has flown by and here we go again with another!

Honestly I forgot what a lot of my goals were last year, but I think I remember painting up my fantasy elves being one of them, and I actually did that!! :D Pretty sure I failed everything else.... :?

As unpainted minis go, I have my Infinity Nomads, some Space Marines, my vehicles for my Bolt Action British, and a huge number of Reaper Bones minis coming soon from the Kickstarter. Oh, and thanks to Prim's new relive the 80s action movies miniatures game, I have yet another target to add to that list. Let's see if I can tick off more than one of these by the end of 2019.

This year my DnD game seemed to conflict with the monthly gaming day. I really would like to get to more of the game days. 頑張ります!!! :)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Hmm! Actually I've been thinking about this, and I kind of feel like I'm in a comfortable place this year, hobby-wise. I have two mature 40K armies and one nascent AoS one (two if you count my goblins, and why shouldn't I?), a venue (Nagoya games days) where I can play 40K and Kill Team as bunch and another (Ichinomiya) where I can play Shadespire and AoS, and I've settled into a good pace with painting and collecting over the past couple years. At the moment I have a Blackstone Fortress-created painting backlog, but I should be able to work through it by spring, and not really all that much I want to branch out into (last year's resolution to limit my picking-up-new-games instinct really worked out and I'm sticking to it). I imagine I'll pick up a few more Shadespire warbands this year, and might buy and paint a couple kill teams, but aside from that who knows? I guess I'm in a very zen-like space right now in the hobby department. :D

Oh! Yeah, there is that, which connects to the survey thread - I made a resolution a couple months ago actually to try and be more proactively positive about how I interface with the hobby and the people in it, and I'm definitely sticking to that. So I guess that's my one concrete resolution for 2019 gaming!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:48 am

Prim, maybe it’s time you monetize the site and have an IPO? Hey, if you can’t beat them, join ‘em, right? Couldn’t make things that much better or worse at this point.

1. American Independence! (historics project)
I mean to use 2019 for this.

2. Don’t buy any more models for the hobby this year.
This I get the feeling is a foolish to say, but I’m going to stick with it as long as I can.... (thinking right this moment of checking eBay for renegade Imperial Guard.)

3. (Reserve space for something - gotta get in the bath with my daughter)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Hmmn. resolutions...

1. Maintain my 2018 promise to myself of maintaining a neutral hobby budget. This will be much harder this year as I have already sold most of my valuable stuff, and I don't foresee myself having much time for commission painting. So, it looks like it'll be a case of tightening the ol' hobby belt. Still, I shall ganbaru.

2. Finish painting my Shadespire stuff, including any future purchases. This is a small target, but may grow, as it's the one game I find myself eyeing models for.

3. Try really, really hard not to buy too many more MtG cards. Like, really.

4. Build boxes for SHM and GRN, and any further possible sets.

5. Actually play more games. I hardly did any gaming this year, and I missed it a lot. (actually, I played a fair bit of MtG, but I want to get in more miniature games. I should probably host more down here. Surely somebody will come down once in a while?)

6. Paint something big and "ooooh" inspiring. Mortarion or that Titan, hopefully.

7. Not directly hobby related, but I need to get a job*. Once that's acquired, my hobby needs will shift massively from not-enough-money-too-much-time to not-enough-time-not-enough-money-either. :roll:

So, yeah. I'm keeping my goals small and achievable this year. Hopefully they'll all pan out for a change :)

*on which note - if anybody has any job related leads for a hard-workin' English teacher/proofreader, a PM on the subject :D would be met with great gratitude...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:43 pm

me_in_japan wrote:5. Actually play more games. I hardly did any gaming this year, and I missed it a lot. (actually, I played a fair bit of MtG, but I want to get in more miniature games. I should probably host more down here. Surely somebody will come down once in a while?)
Absolutely! Shaking my fist at the inevitable Yokkaichi / Suzuka traffic jam all the way. :lol:
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 am

Well, we are over the halfway mark for the year, let's see how we're doing?
Primarch wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:40 pm
So my goals are as follows:
1. Paint an average of 30 models a month.

2. Paint my American Airborne army.

3. Paint a force for the American Revolution.

4. Continue working on my British in Burma project.

5. Figure out the best way forward for this site.

6. Be less curmudgeonly.
1. I have painted 317 models so far this year out of my target of 360. However, 250 of those were painted in Jan-Mar, 51 in April, 17 in May and 0 from June onwards. (Coincidentally the same time I started playing Magic: Arena, I wonder if there is any connection?).

2. I have most of the figures for this army assembled, but no paint on any of them yet, not even an undercoat.

3. I think this isn't happening for the time being and can be safely ignored.

4. There has been a squad of Gurkhas sat on my painting desk since June. I have also assembled some Indian National Army and I'm building some 5th Indian Division troops as and when I feel like it.

5. Things seem to be rolling slowly on as they are. We're never going to be a big community and Facebook etc. provides an all in one place for hobbies, family and friends, which NH doesn't and can't compete with. Job did suggest making the monthly game threads more prominent, but there is no easy way to do that automatically. (I'm too lazy to change it manually every month).

6. That's not really for me to judge if I am successful or not. :D

So in summary, 1. is well within reach, 2. and 4. are at least moving slowly forward, 3. and 5. are on indefinite hiatus and 6. is still up in the air. Roll on Dec 31st!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Hmmn. 6 month review time. Righty:
me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm
1. Maintain my 2018 promise to myself of maintaining a neutral hobby budget. This will be much harder this year as I have already sold most of my valuable stuff, and I don't foresee myself having much time for commission painting. So, it looks like it'll be a case of tightening the ol' hobby belt. Still, I shall ganbaru.

2. Finish painting my Shadespire stuff, including any future purchases. This is a small target, but may grow, as it's the one game I find myself eyeing models for.

3. Try really, really hard not to buy too many more MtG cards. Like, really.

4. Build boxes for SHM and GRN, and any further possible sets.

5. Actually play more games. I hardly did any gaming this year, and I missed it a lot. (actually, I played a fair bit of MtG, but I want to get in more miniature games. I should probably host more down here. Surely somebody will come down once in a while?)

6. Paint something big and "ooooh" inspiring. Mortarion or that Titan, hopefully.

7. Not directly hobby related, but I need to get a job*. Once that's acquired, my hobby needs will shift massively from not-enough-money-too-much-time to not-enough-time-not-enough-money-either. :roll:

So, yeah. I'm keeping my goals small and achievable this year. Hopefully they'll all pan out for a change :)

*on which note - if anybody has any job related leads for a hard-workin' English teacher/proofreader, a PM on the subject :D would be met with great gratitude...
1. No, but fixing it is within reach. I'm about 2man over budget at the moment, so a quick sale of my Chaos Dwarf BB team and possibly Kaladrax the Unshippable should see that right.

2. Gah, no. The ghosties are still half painted. I did paint a nurgle daemon warband for AoS skirmish, though. That's like, 14 models.

3. errrrrr. kinda? I mean, I haven't bought any from the new set, like (and don't plan to, either. My days of buying complete sets are behind me. Single card purchases from now on, for specific decks.)

4. No, but I did tidy the crap out of my hobby room, put up some shelves, and generally make it workable. So, in terms of making my MtG cards accessible and usable, I'll call this a win.

5. Not really :( I'll get on it...

6. Not yet, but since Apocalypse is out soon, maybe that Titan?

7. Yes! Only part time, but that's all I can really do just now, since I'm still very much dealing with the kids.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am

job wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:48 am
Prim, maybe it’s time you monetize the site and have an IPO? Hey, if you can’t beat them, join ‘em, right? Couldn’t make things that much better or worse at this point.

1. American Independence! (historics project)
I mean to use 2019 for this.

2. Don’t buy any more models for the hobby this year.
This I get the feeling is a foolish to say, but I’m going to stick with it as long as I can.... (thinking right this moment of checking eBay for renegade Imperial Guard.)

3. (Reserve space for something - gotta get in the bath with my daughter)
BAh hahahahha.

I did get out of the bath after awhile. :lol:

1. This was literally a credit card hold away from going to. My card’s security stopped and cancelled the purchase as a purchase from a Mr. Perry in the UK looked all funny. By the time I could clear the hold, all the steam was out of my sales. In all honesty it may have been for the best as I may have been about to bite off more than I could handle. I’m still jazzed by the idea of putting on Camden Courthouse (I’d like to do this someday) but my painting productivity has diminished to near nothing with my current job and my daughter.

If Primarch wants to kick start this (not a fund raiser) I’ll be ready to the muster, but I also give him a carte blanche of support for his next historics project.

2. Bahahahaha :lol:

3. Not to make any more resolutions - I don’t intend to keep this one either.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 am

Zen is continuing to work for me! I’m not doing so great with games played, but have gotten a bunch of Shadespire in, a bit of kill team, and even some progress on the blackstone campaign, plus of course NagoyaHammer and its lead-up for 40K. In terms of adopting new games, I’ve recently formed a low-grade Titanicus obsession fueled by some extra pocket cash after picking up some part time classes this spring, but what’re you going to do? Titans are very much my first gaming love and deep weak spot.

So, things are pretty good overall. I could stand to play a bit more, but that’s just being in one’s mid-40’s I think.
-----

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”