Survey Results and Feedback

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Survey Results and Feedback

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

That's a fair comment, and tbh pretty much what I thought myself. I could certainly be down with a primer, though. I'll give it a think and see what I can come up with. Probly need to redraft it down a tad. Knowing me, there's a risk of it getting a bit...wordy :lol:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am

Auxryn wrote:7. I used to post pictures of my painting projects pretty frequently. At some point I couldn't attach pictures to posts anymore, and also I wasn't painting much for a while. If I had an easy way to post pictures I would likely make a few more posts.

8. Too few hours in the day. Also, some of the sub-forums have too few people using them to really have a discussion. Combining the less-used ones under more general headings might work. I could also try marking everything as read and then actually looking when new posts show up.
Re: Posting pictures on the forum, sadly the space available for adding pictures directly is limited. It is possible to expand it, but that would quickly fill up too, so further expansion etc. In the long run it would add to the cost of the forum and I'd prefer to keep it free for everyone.
Image hosting sites such as Imgur are fairly easy to use and you can include links back to your albums. It's not as easy as uploading pictures directly, but it keeps the load off the forum and the cost down.

I'll have a look over the forum and see if some parts can be trimmed down. Marking stuff as read and using the View New Posts/View Active Topics filters on the main Board Index should help you keep up with current conversations if you aren't already using them.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Primarch wrote:I'll have a look over the forum and see if some parts can be trimmed down. Marking stuff as read and using the View New Posts/View Active Topics filters on the main Board Index should help you keep up with current conversations if you aren't already using them.
Yeah, "view active topics" is my go-to point of contact with the board contents as a reader.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 am

yup - +1 for me on the "view active topics" button as my first port of call.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Auxryn
Champion

Post by Auxryn » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:02 am

You guys are right - 'view active topics' works great.

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 am

Hi guys. In an effort to use the forum in its traditional sense as opposed to the modern social media trend of 'look at my ever increasing ego and list of prided things and feats', (see my fb and hobby logs for those), thought I'd drop by to say "Flash by name, Flash by nature Whooof". :lol:

First of all good wishes and good luck to Mikey who recently returned to NZ. Thank you for being awesome to all of us over the years and always kind in your correspondence.
Looking through the last few pages of this thread it was great to see a Viking sacrifice, Shadespeare models and Dust Tactics. All really good painting.
Please keep them coming. I love seeing everyone's individual style develop over the years.

Great responses on the survey which Prim put out. I think we are all guilty of doing the hit and run posting of how fabulous we are and what we have achieved. Thank you to those of you who always comment on my hobby log. I shall make more of an effort to do likewise.
In terms of the forum and social media in general seeming overly negative. I would put this down to less time due to work and family commitments also folk having less patience for the negative things, moving on with life.
It's no longer a negative forum here but it sure has been in the past. I myself have fallen out with a few dear friends due to reactive forum and fb posts. I would go so far as to say at one time I allowed it and it's members to control not only my gaming and painting activities but also my personal life choices. We live and learn and I'm grateful for going through this challenge albeit an unhealthy one. I remember many nights coming away from the screen so angry and beyond tears. I have experienced being cursed across the table, called names during gameplay, gas lighted when bringing up that there had been bullies within the community. It's a drag for everyone involved being picked up on your grammar and spelling daily, being told you're building your army incorrectly, being told GW are shite when you've just spent hard earned cash in a luxury purchase to give you a boost, being ignored or stonewalled by other members, being blocked. All this stuff can add up and seep over into our day to day happiness. Life isn't happiness all the time but at the same time we must guard against negativity and being put down by others negative thoughts and actions.
It's a heck of a job to maintain this forum for this amount of time Prim and you've done a mans job policing the forums all this time. How about having a holiday from it to gain perspective? I know Warlord gave up just to have an easier time. Oldhammer community on FB once a place of love and light for the hobby has even fallen to darkness with negativity towards GW etc. Folk that insist on living in a preserved past of 80s and 90s nostalgias, and why not after all its fun, even that will turn sour after a time.
Before this post becomes overly negative in itself though I propose we follow the 3 rules of social media children are now taught in Primary school before posting.

Before posting ask yourself;

1 Is it true
2 Is it kind
3 Is it helping anyone (yourself as well as others)

If the answer to these questions 1 -3 are yes then post post post.

Plus an added favourite of my own

4 Is it really just 'banter' or is it nasty. :)

Keep painting, have fun gaming and do it your way everyone, enjoy life, enjoy the heck out of the hobby.

Let's meet up more in meat space, hang out at cafes, talk of art, music and love and enjoy some fresh air and good times. Let's get away from the screens and back to the hobbies and the friends we love.

Happy Valentines mon amis.
Nearly finished the pile of miniatures from 2013.
Painting mainly historical with some fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”