What are you hyped for?

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
Primarch
Evil Overlord

What are you hyped for?

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:36 pm

After a couple of years of covid, a poor worldwide economy, shipping issues and now an ongoing conflict started by one of the world's nuclear armed powers, I think we could all use a spot of positivity in our lives.

Feel free to share your excitement about a cool mini you got, any upcoming releases that appeal to you, innovative painting techniques or new games you want to try, that kind of thing. Basically anything you like so long as it is somewhat hobby related.

A few rules though:
No cr4pping on other people's posts. If something doesn't float your boat, just ignore it and move on.
No talk of prices. Yes, we would all like our minis to be cheaper, but cost discussions really suck the fun out of things.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: What are you hyped for?

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:49 pm

And to get the ball rolling.

Horus Heresy 2.0
This has been hinted at by GW for a looong time and there are a bunch of rumours doing the rounds now. The game looks to be based off the old 7th ed rules, though updated and without the issues that made 7th a train wreck. (Fingers crossed). So blast templates, vehicle facings and the like are still in the system, but move rates have been added like 8th. No stratagems have been mentioned, but the rumours are pointing to units being able to react during the opponent's turn. (Like Overwatch, but with more options). As I love interaction between players, that sounds awesome to me.
On top of that is the release of a wider range of Heresy plastics, Mk.VI beaky marines, a better Contempor and a Land Raider Spartan, the regular Raider's big brother.
The currently rumoured release date is June, so I'm looking forward to summer.

Reaper Bones 6.
My favourite (and only) kickstarter is coming back at the end of March. Every Reaper kickstarter has offered a ton of minis for very reasonable prices. Their quality has improved by leaps and bounds since the first Bones release.
For those of you who don't know, Reaper make RPG minis of every size and shape. Bones are cast in soft, bendable plastic, and the kickstarter is a great way to get a huge collection for all your RPG needs. As well as a bunch of hero and villain minis, you can get some massive things like dragons for about $10-$15.
As I'm still sitting on an immense stockpile of Bones, I probably won't get the core set, but there are bound to be some themed sets or giant monsters I want!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:44 am

Good picks, Prim!

On the GW side I'm hyped to get Eldar on the table. They're pretty much the last thing from when I was into Warhammer in high school that I thought was really cool but didn't get a chance to play. They look like they're in a good place where they're really strong at their various schticks (especially Aspect Warriors) but aren't oppressive, so they should be more user friendly to bring out than Drukhari or Custodes. The 40K meta is a bit of a mess at the moment but given nearly all the Codexes are out and they're releasing balance dataslates *reasonably* often, I'm looking forward to having close games with everyone firing on all cylinders, especially since there's mountains of Crusade missions to try out.

Also just generally looking forward to sneaking in more games around the edges of AoS, Kill Team, Titanicus, Aeronautica Imperialis, Necromunda etc etc. I'm not *committed* to being locked into the GW ecosystem but there's really quite a lot of great games in that bubble at the moment so it's not too bad, especially since I somehow ended up with minis for all of them :lol:

And probably a while off but big hype for Cursed City expansions. I liked the Cursed City core, I think it's a better chassis than Blackstone Fortress, but the BSF expansions were really good so I'm hopeful it brings some of the same quality for setpiece levels.

Outside GW, I kicstarted Frosthaven and while I'm happy to wait, it looks like an absolutely mountain of awesome play; I loved Jaws of the Lion and this is just going to be so much more. Likewise I've got hold of the Avatar: Legends RPG and I like a bit of Powered By The Apocalypse so it'd be good to have a crack at that (my Australia group has a couple of Avatar superfans). I need to actually read Lancer and Icon which do seem very much my speed but I'd definitely have to run them to get a game so higher effort bar :lol:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:48 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:44 am
... since I somehow ended up with minis for all of them :lol:
Somehow. :D

Frosthaven looks massive, I haven't really looked at board games in recent years, but it looks like they are getting bigger and bigger. I assume Frosthaven is some kind of co-op RPG style game?

jus

Post by jus » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:54 am

@Prim: Having never really checked out the reaper bones kickstarter ranges before, I went and did so after reading your post and I must say, they are pretty cool. Theres a huge variety and my favorite point is they include NPCminis.

@Jye: Necromunda sounds like fun! let's give that a try sometime. I think I have every gang except the redemptionists, but my Goliaths are the only ones painted, but kind of what to try palatine enforcers. It would be my first toe dip back into the GW eco system since I discovered...

3D printing!

Frantically laying down the tracks of this hype train as it rockets on, break-neck and unceasing towards miniature world revolution. 2022 promises more stuff every month. We are too progressive and open minded to speak of such antiquated concepts as "my back log" which will hence forth be known as "my growing collection" instead.

Apart from that board game design proceeds at a pace and developing a world (that doesn't suck) for it to exist in remains challenging.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:32 am

For me, 'my back log' means dreams that haven't come true yet. :lol:

@Jus - For those of us without 3D printers, Reaper is a great source of minis. You must be drowning in figures by now, I know I would be.
Maybe you can update your boardgame thread and let us see how it is progressing?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 am

GW previewed a bunch of stuff today and the new Necromunda: Ash Wastes looks pretty awesome.
However, I shall be saving my pennies for...

The Horus Heresy.
In fact, now is the perfect time to get started with The Horus Heresy. While many general kits in the range will be moving to plastic, there aren’t currently any such plans for the Legion-specific units or Primarchs.
The previewed models look gorgeous, and the mention of some of the resin kits maving to plastic has me very excited. I honestly don't expect a huge cost saving over the FW resin minis, but plastic is just soooo much easier to work with. Assuming that the releases are all available here in Japan too, I can see a lot of my hobby money going towards expanding my legion forces. :D :D
As for the legion specific minis, kit-bashing and some 3D printed parts have seen me through so far.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:18 am

I don't feel much pull to Horus Heresy yet, but plastic rather than resin helps set them up for success in luring me later!

Loved the bug riders for Ash Wastes, I'd rather stick with Escher to the extent I'm playing Necromunda at all, but if the core box is a sufficiently good deal could be tempted into a bit of bug riding.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:33 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:18 am
I don't feel much pull to Horus Heresy yet, but plastic rather than resin helps set them up for success in luring me later!

Loved the bug riders for Ash Wastes, I'd rather stick with Escher to the extent I'm playing Necromunda at all, but if the core box is a sufficiently good deal could be tempted into a bit of bug riding.
I'm pretty sure all the existing gangs will get an Ash Wastes option. There will be some bikes or something for the Escher.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:38 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:33 am
I'm pretty sure all the existing gangs will get an Ash Wastes option. There will be some bikes or something for the Escher.
Oh yeah 100%. But the marketing will get in my brain for the corebox :lol:

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”