'ello from bonnie Scotland

All new members can introduce themselves here. If you can speak/write Japanese and English, please feel free to use both languages. 新メンバーはここで自己紹介をしてください。もし、英語と日本語を話し、書けるならどちらの言葉も自由に使って下さい。
AndrewGPaul
Champion

'ello from bonnie Scotland

Post by AndrewGPaul » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Yes, I'm in Scotland, and yes, this is a forum for gamers in Japan.

However, I'm a friend of me_in_Japan*, and when he was being me_not_in_Japan over Christmas, he introduced me to this forum - to show off his miniatures, it must be said. :) Hopefully it'll be OK if I lurk quietly in a corner and join in every so often? I might even show off some pictures of my miniatures.

I started out as a 40K player (well, technically I started with Advanced heroquest then 1st edition Space Marine, then 40K) - I think one of my first games was Space Marines vs Eldar on a caravan table on the west coast of Scotland one rainy summer holiday, with M_I_J and myself poring over the Rogue Trader rulebook. Since then, I've become a bit of a shameless buyer of miniatures. I once posted a list of all the games I play on a forum, and it was two screens long. Current favourites are Infinity, MERCS and Heavy Gear. I tried to tempt M_I_J with Infinity, but he wasn't biting, sadly.

So, if y'all don't mind, I'll see you around from time to time.

* What's the etiquette on using forum members' real names, by the way? Is it frowned upon? I know some people like their privacy.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: 'ello from bonnie Scotland

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:28 am

Hey,
Welcome to the forums.
Your intro to the game sounds strangely reminiscient of my own (Heroquest, Space Marine, 40k).
Feel free to lurk, or even post regularly if you want. The forum is intended for players in Japan primarily, but so long as you aren't spamming junk messages everywhere I'm sure you'll get a warm reception.

As for real names, the regular posters on this forum all know each other pretty well and so we dont enforce the use of online handles. We generally use them, but it is by no means a requirement.

Cheers
Primarch (aka Stuart)
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 am

wotcher, mate :)

welcome on board chief - good to have you with us.

Yes indeedy - Andrew is the man who got me started on gaming. so it is all, in fact, his fault :twisted:
As he has implied, he has a very impressive collection of minis, notable both for quantity (numberless) and quality (resin Rackham Dragon. Yes - the one you cant buy anymore, even on ebay. And an actual metal Ambull model. Im sure he can come up with a more comprehensive list, but those are most "ooooh" inspiring ones I can think of right now...)

So aye - a veteran gamer now walks amongst us. Tremble, ye mighty... :lol:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 am

You mean somebody has a bigger collection than Stu? :shock:
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't know; do I?

I think that's not quite everything. I've got a Heavy Gear army awaiting collection at a friend's house, for a start. :)

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:23 am

Alright Andy, it's Mustafa here.

The bottom shelf of your bookcase is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:29 am

its the second bottom shelf that gets me - thats a complete run of Imperial Armour! Madness!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 am

Spevna wrote:Alright Andy, it's Mustafa here.

The bottom shelf of your bookcase is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen.
I ... don't know how to take that. :) It does hold a complete set of 1st edition 40K sourcebooks, true.

Couldn't have done it without you, Dave; see the blue case poking out from behind the Menoth scenery piece in the first photo? That's your old Epic Eldar army.:)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:18 am

Colonel Voss wrote:You mean somebody has a bigger collection than Stu? :shock:
AndrewGPaul wrote:I don't know; do I?
I think that's not quite everything. I've got a Heavy Gear army awaiting collection at a friend's house, for a start. :)
In terms of variety, yes certainly. In terms of organised collections, obviously. In terms of totally unnecessary volumes of miniatures for the same armies, maybe, maybe not.
Still, as one obsessive compulsive collector/hoarder to another, that is a bleeding impressive collection of plastic/metal/resin crack you have amassed there. My own collection currently has my games room bursting at the seams, but it is mainly 40k and Warhammer Fantasy more than anything else. Looking at the age of your collection, you must have been at it for quite a while. Sadly I "got out" of the hobby ages ago and sold a lot of my older bits and pieces. Obviously I regret it now. :cry:

For those of you who have seen my hobby room first hand, 6 years ago I had 1500 points of Deathwing and 1000 points of Guard. Yes, thats right, EVERYthing else has been bought in the past 6 years. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:36 pm

the 8 tables and 14 game mats make more stuff that most people I know.. I have 7 tables or so... and I can tell you that that takes more space than anything... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “Introductions - イントロ”