Beppu Tournament Jun 2010 - RESULTS

Please post details of any events, tournaments or big games you are planning here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Beppu Tournament Jun 2010 - RESULTS

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Well, after 2 days and 4 games of frantic Warhammer Fantasy Battle action, I am exhausted, but also elated!
After all I WON the tournament ...from a strictly moral point of view. Actually, Nagoyahammer's own Moderator Extraordinaire "Mike the Pike" took first place overall. Your own dearly beloved Primarch managed to grab second place, meaning that the Gold and Silver both came back to Aichi-ken, the prefecture of champions.

I'll let The Pike explain his games, but here's how mine went down:

Game 1 was against David, an exceptionally nice guy fielding an all goblin (and a giant and a few snotlings and squigs) army. Brave guy. His composition score was through the roof. He also provided a lot of terrain for the event, so many thanks to him. For most of the game, my High Elves hung back and shot great ragged holes into the oncoming goblin horde. 1 squad of bowmen and 2 bolt throwers staved off 4 units of night goblins and their crazy fanatic payloads for most of the game. If the game had ended on turn 5 I would have been sitting pretty with 16 of the 20 victory points available. Sadly, turn 6 happened. In my own turn, 20 spearmen and a mage charged 12 goblins with spears. I botched nearly all my attacks and only took down one puny gobbo. They attacked back and slaughtered 7 of my guys. I then failed my morale check and turned tail. My spearmen didnt reach the board edge, but still gave up their points for being on the run at the end of the game. In Davids final turn of the game, his rocklobber (which hadn't hit once all game) dropped a rock onto the head of my noble getting him some more VPs. Final score 11-9 in my favour.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Beppu Tournament Jun 2010 - RESULTS

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Game 2 saw me coming up against an unexpected opponent. There were supposed to be 7 players going to the tourney. Myself, 2 Dark Elf players, 2 Orc/Goblin players, 1 Dwarf player and 1 Brettonian player. I had planned and prepped for facing all of them. I was ready. I was set! The dwarf and the brettoninan players dropped out. Instead Vlad, the tourney organiser stepped up to fill the gap. Vlad brought his Vampire Counts out to play. When planning my army, I hadnt included much offensive magic and concentrated on defence. Against ANY other army I would have been fine. Instead I ended up playing against 1, and later 2 ethereal units. I had 1 thing in my army which could hurt them and he died very quickly. I managed to kill some small units, but all the damage I caused was reversed by Vlad's magic heavy army casting raise dead all over the place. I scraped 450 points out of the game and Vlad took well over 2000. Final score 20-0 to Vlad.

What is it with me and Tournament Organisers giving me a hard time.... I dunno. Next time Vlad, next time!
:twisted:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Round 3 paired me off with the one Japanese player, and guy who had come up from Okinawa called Kane-san. His Orcs were a bit more serious than David's gobbos. Once again, the game kicked off with repeater bolt throwers and archers whittling down his units, which, unlike Vlad's didnt immeadiately stand back up again. Some fanatics smashed my Lion Chariot to pieces before entangling themselves around each other, I lost a few Dragon Princes to magic, but the real turning point of the game came around turn 5. Kane-san had put his general, both shamans and his battle standard into one MASSIVE unit of boyz, which I had been peppering with shots for a while. They had advanced slowly across the board and were in a position to reach my lines in Kane's turn 5. At this point, my Dragon Princes and Lord burst from some nearby woods where they had been lurking. A magic banner allowed them to ignore the terrain penalties and they had a perfect shot at Kane's flank. Now, Dragon Princes hit hard, WS5, 2 attacks with S5 on the charge, an extra attack from the champion and 4 more from the Lord is scary, but Kane's unit was pretty big and he had 4 characters in it. He chose to flee rather than hold. He then rolled 4, putting him 14 inches away. My princes moved their full 16 inches and ran down the entire squad. On the same turn, my Swordmasters finished mincing his Black Orcs and that was the game. 20-0 to me. Kane-san took it well, and was a fun opponent to play against, if a little hesitant to commit his forces.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:25 pm

The fourth and final game was against a guy called Adam who lives in Okayama. He had brought along a magic heavy/shooty Dark Elf army. I am kind of used to playing The Pike's dark elves so there was nothing new here. The table had a big tower in the middle of it and I deployed all my fast units on one side and my slow stuff on the other. Adam put his army down in a line on his side of the table. Turn 1 I rushed all my fast units up behind the tower, denying Adam a lot of his shooting. As usual, my shooting phase was my best phase for the first few turns and I took out lots of Adam's fast units. My Princes were charged in the flank by a group of shades, but luckily the combat was won by a horse caving in a shade's skull with one well placed hoof. The princes then reformed to face the shades and proceeded to wipe them out. The reform left them with their flank facing one of Adam's 4 bolt throwers. 1 lucky shot could have killed the entire unit. Adam rolled a 1. In the magic phase, Adam dominated and caused a lot of damage, whilst my shooting evened things up for me. The game was running close as my Sword Masters charged his Black Guard. The guard had a banner which allowed them to strike first and they caused quite a few wounds. My Sword Masters won the combat, but the stubborn guard refused to budge. In the second round, the Guard killed 7 of my Elves and broke my unit. The game ended with a draw, 10-10.

5 Minutes after the game ended, Adam asked me which magic banner I had given to my Sword Masters. I then almost smashed something as I remembered I had given them the banner which negates Hatred. The rule which had allowed the Black Guard to wipe out my most expensive unit, capture 2 banners and prevent me from smashing his artillery to bits.

And the worst part. I ALWAYS give them that banner. In EVERY game I play. Because it is ALWAYS useful. D'oh! :cry:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 pm

And thats how my side of the tournament went down. Mike scored the most victory points overall, though Vlad scored the same, he was the organiser and only playing to make up the numbers. Plus Vlad's paint score and composition score were lower than Mike's.

Mike's starting Comp score was very very low, 14 of a max possible 40 points. His hard as nails army won him enough games to negate that penalty and take 1st place. Well done!

My own score was a good deal lower than The Pike's but my comp score was 28 out of 40, hence despite my placing second, I feel I won the tourney from a moral point of view by coming 2nd with a balanced, fair army.

My thanks to Vlad and co. for organising the event. Hopefully they will do it again next year. I for one would definitely like to go down to Kyushu again for a rematch. Lets see The Pike win with a perfect 40 for composition next time eh?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 pm

After all I WON the tournament ...from a strictly moral point of view. Actually, Nagoyahammer's own Moderator Extraordinaire "Mike the Pike" took first place overall. Your own dearly beloved Primarch managed to grab second place, meaning that the Gold and Silver both came back to Aichi-ken, the prefecture of champions.
huzzah for the prim! And huzzah for the pike too, for bringing home the bacon to the naghammer krew. Well done, chaps, thou shalt have a pat on the head from me next time I seez yer :P
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 am

Dave the thing is they are are not looking at it as a victory for Chub Area they are looking at it like Aichi is better than the rest of us in Chubu Area... All I can say is next time it wont be that easy... sounds like they are bragging about beating an 0&G and a G&G army... if I would have been able to get out of work... Gifu would have taken the 1st and one of them second and one of them third. Trash talk aside...

Good work mates... I am happy that you have won something for the NAGOYAHAMMER GROUP... As Mike the pike says it is his game.. he knows it and plays it well... I played half a game on Prime's team I figure it would not be as boring as it was but as I recall the PIke beat us... enjoy the win... but watch your back as the Admiral is looking forward to showing you how it feels to watch your buds win and talk trash....
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:06 am

Extra, Extra, Read all about it!
Newsflash = Badruck has no sense of humour!

:lol:

By the way, Mie gamers are welcome to bask in the glory of our victory. In fact, we welcome gamers from any prefecture with a coast line. It's only those wierd folks up in the mountains that we want to exclude (although we'll make an exception for Colonel Voss.
:) :) :) :) :)
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:11 am

Come to think of it, what sort of an Admiral lives in a landlocked prefecture!

I think the Admiral is a fraud!

He's almost as big a fraud as Captain Von Trapp of the world renowned Austrian Navy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote: Good work mates... I am happy that you have won something for TEAM AICHI... As Mike the pike says it is his game.. he knows it and plays it well... I played half a game on Prime's team I figure it would not be as boring as it was but as I recall the PIke beat us... enjoy the win... but watch your back as the Admiral is looking forward to showing you how it feels to watch your buds win and talk trash....
If a certain team mate had known HOW to use his own army, full of dinosaurs and other big ferocious monsters and hadn't lost interest halfway through and gone to play magic, maybe we could have won that one.

One day, I will play you with an Orc and Goblin army Badruck. You can bring your daemon army (wouldnt want you crying that you could have won if you had a better force), and maybe you will win, but you will know you've been in a fight. :D

Return to “Events in Japan”