End of the year/world gaming day

Please post details of any events, tournaments or big games you are planning here.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: End of the year/world gaming day

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I'll avoid commenting on the fantasy game in favour of those who played it giving a full rundown of events.

In other news...

I played a very educational game of Warmachine against underdweller, and although I ultimately lost (resoundingly - got a bit too cocky with my warcaster, amongst other things) I learned a lot about the game including some pretty fundamental stuff. Here's hoping i can put it to good use on the 8th.

I also played a training game of warmachine against Dinkel (spelling ok?), who despite it being his first miniatures wargame proved to be an able student and picked up the rules nicely. By the end of the game I can honestly say I think he'd pretty much got the hang of it. Good fun, and a good opponent.

Finally me, ennui, tenorikuma and jus played a game of Super Dungeon Explore, which is actually just about as super as people make it out to be. Lots of fun, and a very well designed game underneath all that chibi-anime style. We brave adventurers almost managed it, but jus fell early on (call yourself a healer?!?), my god-fairy did really well to start with but eventually got et facing up to the dragon. tenorikuma's dwarf fought bravely on, but eventually fell to the evil mustache-twirling monocle-wearing dragon o doom :D

So, big thanks to underdweller, dinkel, ennui, ten, jus, koji (for the painting opportunity), everyone who was there for a fun day and great atmosphere, and especially to rob for organising the whole shebang and some dang, dang tasty mexican grub (and trolls. Muchas gracias, chief)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Today was a blast! A huge thank you to Admiral for hosting today and providing a delicious lunch and some free bits! And of course, thank you to everyone who participated in my games.

In the first part of the day, Konrad and I got his Strange Aeons threshold list started... we set our series of games on the fungus infested planet of Yuggoth and we watched a band of Amazon women eke out their living amongst tentacled creatures and their human masters, slaves all to their Yithian overlords. Of course, the Amazon women completely stomped their enemies and sent the tentacles home crying.

I ended up playing Super Dungeon Explore 4 (!!) times today, and I was the consul for three of those times... I have a feeling I'll be the consul every time I play the game, but I think I was made to be the mustachioed, double-monocled dungeon master, so I'm looking forward to playing it again (and again) in the future.

See you at Winter Blitz!

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 am

Got there late with an unexpected guest. Got to teach her and with the help of Tanya, another Japanese (sorry can't remember his name, just that he eats more than all of us) try Warmachine. It was my Retribution vs. my Khador and Sorscha racks up another win (this time with only one hit point left though :lol: )

It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:20 am

this was a killer event Big thanks to all that came out... especially to the Bears Ten and Koji in the end Jus and the Admirals... desperate alliance won the day. But OH what a Battle

Uz orcsez wuz gona get a Kristmaz Tree for Kristmaz when Da trees kem a live n Started Killing uz. first some guys came up and got stuck in wif da boyz da boyz did got choped up gud but weez not gona run from da peeunee tree elves. dem some uver shiny elves started elpen us chop up da tree elves. our goboz got bashed up and ran down but demz spinny goboz bashed um up good... da Black Orks bashed up sum uv da peeunee tree fings den da big tree fings came up and crushed da shiny elves...but da shiny elves kut um up gud...

we wuz all guna die but den da boss chopped up da tree boss and all hiz peeunee tree Gitz... WWWWAAAAAAGGGG
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 am

I had a good time, it was worth getting up early!

Started off with a game of Dungeon Explorer, in which Konrad's Dwarf and my Mage fought off Ennui's Kobolds and big Troll-thing. A fun game and easy to learn.

Then the forces of Menoth defeated MIJ's evil Cryx, despite their tricksy attempt to push my warcaster off a cliff and eat him with a large worm. It's only my second time to play versus Cryx, but I find that Menoth's denial abilities seem to work to my advantage especially well against them.

After that I helped one of the church members use Voss's Scyrah army to fight against Voss's Khador army. I always think of Khador as slow, strong, easy to hit but hard to wound - this time I found the strong, fast, hard to hit and hard to wound! Our elves had a couple of good assassination attempts, but in the end fell to the red menace.

Anyway, thanks a lot for hosting, Badruck, and for the lunch, your vegetarian chili was delicious! And thanks to MIJ, Ennui, Konrad, Voss, and our Japanese partners for the fun games!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 am

Thank you to our host and organiser, The Admiral Badruck :) Thank you also to your team of chefs. Lunch was great and I was only too happy to do the dishes.

Thank you to my partner and my opponents for the big game of Fantasy. Wow, Orcs teamed up with High Elves are a tough nut to crack. At least the Treekin had a good time eating the High Elf mage :D We look forward to a rematch!!!! That dice roll in the first round was really exciting even though it went your way and not ours. Lots of laughs.

Thank you to all who went and hope to see you all soon. Have a wonderful New Year! :D

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:44 am

The Madmiral is the host with the most. I had a great time and pillaged enough bits from his treasure chest (aaarrhhh) to build 3 of the 100,000 projects I have in mind.
That big Ork/H.E vs W.E\W.E battle needs a sequel. I want to hear about the Orks and Elves turning on each other. More dead elves.
And Super Dungeon Explore is so chibi, it was almost painful when I first saw it on CoolMiniorNot, but it is a rockin fun beer and pretzels game.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Events in Japan”