The 2nd Annual Japan Open of Warmachine & Hordes!

Please post details of any events, tournaments or big games you are planning here.
Danguinius
Veteran

Re: The 2nd Annual Japan Open of Warmachine & Hordes!

Post by Danguinius » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:59 am

The Japan Open 2 is shaping up to be a crazy, sexy, cool event. Gannon and I have been stocking up on new terrain and we will have some themed boards for you to enjoy. Good luck to all who are planning on entering and good luck with your final list preps and practices!

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:55 am

Looking forward to it!

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 pm

The 2014 Japan Open is over and done! Everything went pretty well despite the coming of a Super Typhoon. I want to say thank you to all attendees and especially to Nagoya representatives, Underdweller and Dungeon Lord. I hope you guys had fun and we hope to see you again.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but we are leaning towards three lists, 42 points (for shorter games), and "divide and conquer" (3 lists - each list must be used at least once) for next year. We are also considering moving the event to Osaka (more centrally located)...but we have a good 6-8 months to decide these things. Once again, thanks to everyone who made The 2nd Annual Japan Open of WarmaHordes a success.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks to Danquinius and Gannon for setting this up - I had a good time playing games against lots of different opponents and armies. I did alright, about as well as last year, and I am happy that the only game I got totally slaughtered in was against last year's champion!

As last year, all of my opponents played fair and were fun to play against. There were a lot of Colossals this time, - they are pretty useful, I may have to think about getting one of those..;

I wish we could have stayed for the second day of gaming, but getting home before the typhoon seemed like a good idea.

I think having next year's tourney in Osaka would be great, it makes it much more accessible to us Nagoyans, and I'm sure that Tokyo players would be happy as well

Anyway, thanks again, and hope to see you next year!

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

Oh, and I don't remember if I ever thanked Danguinius for giving me those Menoth markers - they came in handy during the games, for sure, so thank-you!

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 am

I`m glad you had a good time. And, I`m happy you got some good mileage out of those tokens.

The only problem we had was the typhoon. About half of the tourney participants decided to head back early and avoid the typhoon. The other half decided to wait it out in Fukuyama and play more WarmaHordes on Monday! :lol: I got one more game in against Gannon on Monday and then I played the 4th place player (a guy from Osaka) who also finished 3-1. He really wanted to play me since we had the same record and I got a trophy (based on control points and strength of schedule)...but I utterly crushed him! It was my easiest battle all weekend.

Since our aim is to make the Japan Open a national level tourney, we want it to be as accessible as possible. If this means we need to hold it in Osaka, then we can oblige that. There is now a very active, growing meta of WarmaHordes players in Osaka. The problem seems to be: they are still relatively new. They don`t have tons of (nice) terrain like we do and a lot of them are still painting their armies. I told them that they have a year to get their shit together if they really want to host it...but, we`ll see.

You certainly don`t need a colossal...I did alright without one in either list. But, they do go good with some casters/warlocks. If you really like Feora2, you may consider getting a Judicator. But before that...I`d recommend Zealots and Menofix Bearer so you can jam!

Danguinius

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:00 am

Would have liked to wait it out, but DL had work the next day, so it would have been tough for him if wed have to stay over another night, or drive back in a typhoon in the dark.

Yeah, I have had my eye on the Zealots and Monolith bearer for a long time. I just got a bit jealous of all of the giant robots everyone had - I am not overly fond of Feora, or Harby. I like PKreoss, Reznik, and Amon (who I dont actually have) the best.

Anyway, I have more motivation to increase my army than before, and lots of time to think about it!

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:53 am

@ Dan and Gannon - Thanks for running the tourney. I learnt a lot and enjoyed my games. As Underdweller mentioned, I wish we could have stayed for the next day's gaming but alas, the it was a little risky.

As for next year, Osaka sounds much more central. But if they don't have enough terrain...

I am getting more familiar with the rules and I am looking forward to playing again soon.

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:55 am

One of the tournament participants (and 2nd place finisher), Yamda-san posted a very nice write-up of the tourney with lots of photos. Take a look.

http://page.freett.com/realmofrman/Stea ... on2014.htm

Danguinius

P.S. The Hiroshima Wargamers` slogan is "Paint, or Die!" - that`s why it pops up here and there.

Return to “Events in Japan”