Kanto Gamers Network!

For people living in the Kanto region of Japan
samuraiwargaming
Rookie

Kanto Gamers Network!

Post by samuraiwargaming » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 am

Hello,

In this post I will be introducing some of the places that I think anyone coming to live in the Tokyo area, visiting, or who is already here, should check out.

First, my group:
WEST TOKYO WARGAMERS
games:
"Black Powder" Napoleonics in 28mm
"Blitzkrieg Commander" World War II in 1/72 (20mm).
"DBA, DBR" Assorted Historical battles by Wargamers Research Group in 15mm and 1/72
"Dungeons and Dragons" First edition ~
any games workshop
Various board games

http://westtokyowargamers.blogspot.com/

We are a rapidly growing gamers group who play in 聖蹟桜ヶ丘 seisekisakuragaoka on the west side of Tokyo. While we were originally forming the group, we had envisioned getting together to play a small game of historical miniatures every now and then, but soon people were coming to us from all over Kanto. Therefore, mainly we focus on Napoleonics, World War II (1/72 plastics), and DBA/DBR (from: wargames research group). However, lately we have had a whole variety of GW players, even including Gorkamorka, Space hulk, and Blood Bowl. Many times people will come to us and then meet other players who live closer to their home and subsequently they make there own arrangements to play gamers together later. Either way, if you are in the kanto region please contact us at westokyowargamers at hotmail.co.jp

NERIMA MINIATURES GAMING CLUB
games
any games workshop
-Fantasy,40k, Battle Fleet Gothic
Warmachine/Hordes
http://sentui.com/NerimaMini/index.php?Front%20Page

This is a great group of gamers who play in Nerima, which is also in west Tokyo but on a very different train line (hard to get to from Kanagawa, but pretty easy from within Tokyo). Their main language is Japanese, but there are foreigner gamers there and many of the people there speak english so there is not much to worry about. They have excellent terrain, and as soon as I get my 40k miniatures over here to Japan I will definitely make sure to play there. They have really great terrain. They also do many other GW games as well as some of the Privateer press games, so if you find that Nerima is near to you, please email me at musischen at gmail.com and I can give you their contact information.

TOKYO FIGURE SOCIETY
http://silver.ap.teacup.com/tokyofigsociety/
This group was started in Tokyo by a German, Canadian, and Japanese gentleman who wanted to talk about their painting hobby. Since then the Canadian has went whom, but the group as a who have grown. These guys are WORLD class. Literally. one of the gentlemen there had won international painting completions, and the group takes a trip every other year to Germany to see a figurine convention there. They are not gamers, but they are excellent modelers, sculptors, collectors, etc. One of the members own a figurine store in Akihabara, so we start the night there, and then move on to a coffee shop, and finally an izakaya for libations. Also, every year they take a trip down to Shizuoka City to participate as a group table in the Shizuoka Hobby Show.

SOME RESOURCES FROM boardgamegeek.com
this next link is to the boardgame geek forum and is mostly about groups of Japanese who play board games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/541 ... tokyo-area

i really don't know anything about those groups but I thought it was a good find.

JAPAN INTERNATIONAL GAMERS GUILD
Saving the best for last: if you would like to get onto a mailing list where you can ask about finding a game, the jigg list is a good resource,

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/JIGG/

and this is the forum, (not to much activity, but it is how I found everyone here, so it is worth a shot)

http://jigg.forums-free.com/

_ _ _

Some groups (especially Games Workshop games centered groups) have recently dissolved, so if it seems like not that many people are into Games Workshop, that is not really the case. As I get more information on where people are playing games I will come back to this post and update it.

So long!

Brian
Last edited by samuraiwargaming on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Kanto Gamers Network!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:44 pm

thanks for the info brian :) hopefully this will come in handy for folks in the tokyo area. (which Im not, sadly - Im out in the boonies in Mie-ken, the prefecture most likely to be forgotten by japanese people when theyre asked to list all the prefectures in japan...)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

samuraiwargaming
Rookie

Post by samuraiwargaming » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 am

Actually a friend of mine from college who recently moved into my neighborhood (specifically: Yokohama) had been living down in Tsu! . . . :idea: . . . did you know a tall skinny guy named George?

Anyway, I would love to come down for a visit some day if I could. To be honest, my dream would be for a whole group of people from the Tokyo area to come down and join in a really big games day. And vice versa, for Nagoya people to be able to visit Tokyo and participate in a big convention. I'm actually going on a road trip after golden week with the Tokyo Figure Society, to go see the Shizuoka Hobby Show. We'll just go for a weekend, eat drink and look at figurines. Anyway, that is what a lot of people up here are starting to talk about.

But to keep on topic: I should add the Tokyo Figure Society to my top post!

(this is the Shizuoka Hobby Show link: http://www.hobby-shizuoka.com/ I'm going fri. night, staying till sun. morning)

me_in_japan wrote:thanks for the info brian :) hopefully this will come in handy for folks in the tokyo area. (which Im not, sadly - Im out in the boonies in Mie-ken, the prefecture most likely to be forgotten by japanese people when theyre asked to list all the prefectures in japan...)

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

samuraiwargaming wrote:Actually a friend of mine from college who recently moved into my neighborhood (specifically: Yokohama) had been living down in Tsu! . . . :idea: . . . did you know a tall skinny guy named George?
Would that be George Valko? If so, I don't know the guy personally but we have a few mutual friends.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

samuraiwargaming
Rookie

Post by samuraiwargaming » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 am

Indeed. I knew somebody would know who I was talking about :D . haha, everybody is connected somehow...

Spevna wrote:
samuraiwargaming wrote:Actually a friend of mine from college who recently moved into my neighborhood (specifically: Yokohama) had been living down in Tsu! . . . :idea: . . . did you know a tall skinny guy named George?
Would that be George Valko? If so, I don't know the guy personally but we have a few mutual friends.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:18 am

I met George once. I think he's moved now though.
We will hold another big rpg event in Tsu next year so be sure to come.
In the meantime I would love to come to Kanto to play some Napleonics (I use Age of Eagles) or Ancient Rome (Field of Glory). I may need to borrow some models though as my armies are currently decamped in England.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

samuraiwargaming
Rookie

Post by samuraiwargaming » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 am

ashmie wrote:I met George once. I think he's moved now though.
We will hold another big rpg event in Tsu next year so be sure to come.
In the meantime I would love to come to Kanto to play some Napleonics (I use Age of Eagles) or Ancient Rome (Field of Glory). I may need to borrow some models though as my armies are currently decamped in England.
What rpg(s) do you play at your event?

As for Napoleonics we use a system called "Black Powder" in 28mm. (you can check our blog for pictures and battle reports)

Actually we just found out that one of our players will be staying for another 3 years! (yeah for PhD programs :geek: ). So, we will have a lot of interest in our club for Napoleonics for years to come :D

I would really love to get into the era, but I know nothing about it really... Napoleon was French and short, but besides that I'm lost. It looks really cool though; I absolutely love the flags and the cannons. What is nice about having a lot of poeple into a game like that is you can buy just a small amount of troops, and then add them to someone elses army and fight as a team.

Hmm, I will go ahead and add games played by each group in my original post!

*I have a technical question* Is it a problem to keep adding to the original post?? I don't know if there is a length limit on one post or anything.....

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 am

samuraiwargaming wrote:*I have a technical question* Is it a problem to keep adding to the original post?? I don't know if there is a length limit on one post or anything.....
Post as much or as little as you want. We're pretty easygoing about that kind of thing around here. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Kanto”