GW Annual Reprt and Analysis

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

GW Annual Reprt and Analysis

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 pm

GW's annual report is out (in case you didn't know).

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 5-July.pdf

Analysis by someone who seems to know what he is talking about.

http://dukesinferno.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... .html#more

Seems that they aren't actually in terrible straits after all. Mind you these figures are only until May this year so don't really cover the 'sales embargo' and the 'finecast fiasco'. It will be interesting to see their numbers for later in the year which will include the above and really show the result of all the ill feeling generated. Was it all just a storm in an internetz teacup or will it cripple the company? How will the seeming popularity of Storm of Magic affect things? Rumours of 40K 6th edition?
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: GW Annual Reprt and Analysis

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:GW's annual report is out (in case you didn't know).

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 5-July.pdf

Analysis by someone who seems to know what he is talking about.

http://dukesinferno.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... .html#more

Seems that they aren't actually in terrible straits after all. Mind you these figures are only until May this year so don't really cover the 'sales embargo' and the 'finecast fiasco'. It will be interesting to see their numbers for later in the year which will include the above and really show the result of all the ill feeling generated. Was it all just a storm in an internetz teacup or will it cripple the company? How will the seeming popularity of Storm of Magic affect things? Rumours of 40K 6th edition?
Well, we'll have to wait until the end of the year for the preliminary figures to be released and the middle of next year for the full report. The fact that sales fell in some of their biggest sales areas isn't a great sign for future growth, especially because I cant see anything that they have done so far this year making up for it. Oh well, at least according to that report Finecast was an overwhelming success with a 97% quality rate. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 pm

at least according to that report Finecast was an overwhelming success with a 97% quality rate. :lol:
That was a good one, wasn't it? This Duke guy seems to think that Kirby is a bit of a muppet and he is particularly responsible for all the recent c*ck-ups. Maybe he'll retire soon. Here's hoping :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:
at least according to that report Finecast was an overwhelming success with a 97% quality rate. :lol:
That was a good one, wasn't it? This Duke guy seems to think that Kirby is a bit of a muppet and he is particularly responsible for all the recent c*ck-ups. Maybe he'll retire soon. Here's hoping :D
Why would he retire, he just got a 20% pay increase? :o :o :o :o :o
Sweet monkey on a bicycle, thats a lot of cash!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:12 am

Seeing that the douche bag head of GW gave himself a 20% pay increase after everything that has happened in the last several months disgusts me.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 am

Yeah I think something bad is on the horizon :?
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:57 am

I hate to agree with Voss... :?

FOW anyone? :D
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am

how to surprise and delight our customers over and over again. (Go
take a quick look at Citadel Finecast - awesome!)
ahahahahaaaaaahahahahahaahHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

och dearie me. I'm going to have to call a doctor, because I think I just laughed my ass off...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:14 am

seriously though, Duke's commentary seems pretty sound to me. I dont have the savvy to pull that kind of info from the report itself (altho I did read the first dozen or so pages, then got bored...) but he seems to be reasonable, informed, and not completely unbiased. A comment just at the end was interesting:
Tom Kirby's significant pay rise should be taken as a sign that he plans to retire, and soon.

It is not uncommon in UK businesses (can't speak for the ROW) to give directors one last large pay rise, to bump up their final salary based pension.
This is promising, I reckon. I think most of us agree that Kirby's arrival/buy out back in the late 80s was when GW started to slide into its current evil corporate state, and if Kirby buggers off, it could be that corporate attitudes may change, over time. I'd be willing to pay him to leave, if it meant the company reassessed its attitude to its customers, focused more on increasing sales by encouraging existing customers to stick around and buy more (and, of course, pull in new blood. Its a necessary part of any business plan for growth), and generally stop the whole "line em up, take their cash, tell em to feck off, NEXT!" approach currently employed.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Chubu”