Good Wargames for Play By Mail

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
The Underdweller
Legend

Good Wargames for Play By Mail

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:12 am

I have a penpal who I have been playing Warmahordes by Email with on Vassal for a while now. Unfortunately, the Vassal module for Warmahordes is no longer functional, so we're looking for something else to play. GW stuff seems to be out due to Copyright issues.

He suggested Infinity, but I think there would be a lot of back and forth in that due to the Automatic Reaction Order of the non-active player.

Can anyone recommend a good non-dynamic wargame, where one person takes their whole turn without much input from their opponent?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Good Wargames for Play By Mail

Post by Primarch » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:33 am

Kings of War has almost no interaction I believe. Does Vassal have any board games, they tend to be a bit less interactive?

Why did warmahordes stop working?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Good Wargames for Play By Mail

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:52 am

Thanks! Looks like Kings of War has a module on a similar platform to Vassal, so maybe we'll give that a go.

Vassal has lots of boardgames, and we play some of them with a small group, but we are looking for something a bit more in-depth to replace our Warmachine games.

The guy who made the Warmachine module has stopped updating it, so it has become incompatible with the current Vassal Engine, which we need to play the board games with the other group (and rolling it back still seems to have issues, even if we didn't).

I suppose he stopped updating it because few people use Vassal anymore for Warmachine since the Steam games is so popular. But, the Steam game is real time, and we are looking for PBM, since he lives in Belgium and the time difference is tough to work around.

Return to “Chubu”