What an age we live in, to have such a thing...

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

What an age we live in, to have such a thing...

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:14 pm

well slap my ass and call me sally...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ry-cavill/
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: What an age we live in, to have such a thing...

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 pm

On the one hand, this is truly awesome news.

On the other:
[In your best trailer voice-over voice]
From the company that brought you Ultramarines: The Movie, and the film studio that brought you the Rings of Power, comes the actor who portrayed Supermans CGI'd upper lip, in an all new washed-out and soulless version of a story written by a committee of executives trying to appeal to every demographic except wargamers.
Warhammer: Hope Is The First Step.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fingers crossed GW keeps a tight grip on the setting and tone and gives Amazon some of their better stories to work with. Preferably Dan Abnett, Chris Wraight or ADB and definitely not Nick Kyme.

The GWCU has some amazing potential, lets all just keep our fingers crossed.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:29 am

Oh, for sure - the potential for messing this up is unlimited. But if they get it right? Even mostly right? I think it could be great. Don't get me wrong - I'm not

Honestly, when I take a step back and consider things, I'm just amazed at the stuff we get these days. I mean, if you'd told 15yr old me that one day we'd have Warhammer on telly, DND movies, and a run of over 30 interlinked Marvel movies including superheroes, time travel and aliens, I'd've called you a liar on all counts. And that's not even starting on the computer games we have.

This is what it looks like when the nerds win.

(*Nudges Elon and his ridiculous antics out of sight behind a box*)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:50 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:29 am
Oh, for sure - the potential for messing this up is unlimited. But if they get it right? Even mostly right? I think it could be great. Don't get me wrong - I'm not

Honestly, when I take a step back and consider things, I'm just amazed at the stuff we get these days. I mean, if you'd told 15yr old me that one day we'd have Warhammer on telly, DND movies, and a run of over 30 interlinked Marvel movies including superheroes, time travel and aliens, I'd've called you a liar on all counts. And that's not even starting on the computer games we have.

This is what it looks like when the nerds win.

(*Nudges Elon and his ridiculous antics out of sight behind a box*)
Elon is not a nerd. He is a spoilt little rich kid who has used his family's money to play pretend. He bought his way into PayPal and Tesla and had them name him as a founder even though he wasn't. Since then he has just thrown money at high profile projects run by nerds.

#ahem# Rant over...

Yes, nerds taking over the entertainment industry is certainly a plus. The GW announcement mentions movies and TV shows, so there are lots of possibilities. Watching Titans duke it out in epic battles, seeing drop pods rain from the sky as an embattled Imperial Guard regiment struggles to hold back a wave of Tyranids, laughing at the antics of your favourite family of Skaven in the newest sitcom to take the world by storm.

Cavill has certainly been in the news a lot recently. In the past few weeks he has quit the Witcher, (Say what you will, but he delivered his six lines in that series with eloquence :lol: ), been touted as returning to play Superman, been let go/fired from the DCU, been touted as a favourite for 007, and now this comes up. His PR guy must be run ragged.

If the deal has just been signed, it will be ages until we see anything come from it. Probably 2024 at the earliest. They'll need to script, cast and shoot everything then add a load of cgi. GW will need plenty of time to prepare the FOMO tie-in boxes too. ;)
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:30 am

Calling it now, there will be a model (probably space marine) with his face on it. If he allows it anyways.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:18 am

Primarch wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 pm
On the one hand, this is truly awesome news.

On the other:
[In your best trailer voice-over voice]
From the company that brought you Ultramarines: The Movie, and the film studio that brought you the Rings of Power, comes the actor who portrayed Supermans CGI'd upper lip, in an all new washed-out and soulless version of a story written by a committee of executives trying to appeal to every demographic except wargamers.
Warhammer: Hope Is The First Step.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fingers crossed GW keeps a tight grip on the setting and tone and gives Amazon some of their better stories to work with. Preferably Dan Abnett, Chris Wraight or ADB and definitely not Nick Kyme.

The GWCU has some amazing potential, lets all just keep our fingers crossed.
Aye - this is why I am both elated and filled with dread at the same time. 😂

Amazon only got the rights to 40000K, right? 🤔

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:37 am

I'm guardedly optimistic - it seems like Cavill puts his heart into things he's personally excited about (like the Witcher), but OTOH there've been rumors circulating recently about him getting a big head so who knows.

Personally I think the smart opening property would be Eisenhorn since it's relatively "grounded," fairly serialized by nature, and could introduce the audience to quite a lot of the universe in human-level bite-size chunks.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:39 am

I say make him Valerian, cast an Aleya who can carry the silent sarcasm, and you're (literally) golden!

Return to “Chubu”