Facebook Whaaaaaaaa?!?!

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Facebook Whaaaaaaaa?!?!

Post by job » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am

seriously. My students are 12 - 18 yr old girls. i work in a catholic girls school. Having them as facebook friends would be very, very bad. I don't want to be arrested as a paedophile. I appreciate your efforts to improve my relationships, but I'd like to choose my own friends, not any random person who facebooks me.
Well, of course, don't 'friend' them. That would be creepy. It would of course be different if you were a woman, but, yeah, as male teachers you can't 'friend' anyone who is a minor and of the opposite sex.

Also as a point of professionalism we probably shouldn't have any contact outside of the classroom then the accidental meeting in the supermarket that is still politely distant.

But that is all common sense. I shouldn't have to write that, right? ;)

Anyway, as Ash wrote, too. Enjoy sharing those pictures with people you want to share them with!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 pm

Example: for married guys, YOU WOULD NEVER EVER EVER use it alongside your wife's name!
I wouldn't use it alongside MY wife's name. YOU wouldn't use it alongside YOUR wife's name. It is ridiculously presumptuous to make a comment about what ALL MARRIED GUYS would or would not do. ( see, I can use lots of uppercase letters too).
So, in that same instance calling your students "fucking students" is not defendable. :idea:
Well seeing as you have met lots of his students, taught them, and worked in his school you are qualified to make this comment, right? NO? Didn't think so. How could you possibly comment on how defensible (defendable isn't the correct word) his statement is when you have never, ever met his students? And like the man himself said;

Fucking British people swear all the fucking time. It doesn't fucking mean we're fucking pissed off. Fuck :lol: :roll:
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am

@speve

Man you know I love you. Especially on Thursdays :mrgreen: and Mij knows I love him too but I have to agree with Job on this. Though it pains me to say it. Job is right you can say f-ing student and not sound daft. Just can't regardless of how they are or what they do if one feels that way they should not be a teacher.

@ job

I am sure MIJ is just blowing off steam from dealing with the worthlessness of Facebook. In his defence I have no idea why young girls friend me... It is rather freeky. why face book does not allow one to use it with out being searched out by people they do not want to be in touch with . I will never understand.

@ everyone

Good rule of thumb for the F word on the Internet is just do not use it. People get really up set. Cursing in general gets people mad at you. I would hope that in the future we can act more like gentlemen. This starts with me!
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 am

@speve

Man you know I love you. Especially on Thursdays :mrgreen: and Mij knows I love him too but I have to agree with Job on this. Though it pains me to say it. Job is right you can say f-ing student and not sound daft. Just can't regardless of how they are or what they do if one feels that way they should not be a teacher.
So you are telling me that you have never come home from work after a shitty day and said/typed/thought to yourself "that fucking student........" ?

Don't get me wrong, I've being what I do for 12 years and I love it. But there are certain students that will, sometimes, bring out the worst in me. So are you seriously saying that a person should not be a teacher if they even once get pissed off enough by a student to use the word fuck (not to their face of course)?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 am

@ Spev: Saying there are less then good husbands out there is not a defense. Moreover, it doesn't dispute my point because you are in agreement with what I wrote. I know the MiJ is a good man and he wouldn't say that about his wife, and I think he wouldn't say that about his students with intention.

And, yeah, I think we all have moments of less then our best. We all may get frustrated and think the worst, but if we said/wrote/typed it we wouldn't want to stand by those words, right? (As you wrote, it isn't your best side.)

@ Badruck: Oh, I'm sure you know why they 'friend' you. You're the handsome bloke that teaches them. It is a classroom crush... :lol:
Otherwise, it is weird, right?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 am

Spevna wrote:
@speve

So you are telling me that you have never come home from work after a shitty day and said/typed/thought to yourself "that fucking student........" ?

Don't get me wrong, I've being what I do for 12 years and I love it. But there are certain students that will, sometimes, bring out the worst in me. So are you seriously saying that a person should not be a teacher if they even once get pissed off enough by a student to use the word fuck (not to their face of course)?
To be honest I have never really felt that way about the students. The reason is because I work with elementary aged kids. I have thought. Fraking parents, fracking teachers, and fracking school administration. I have yet to work with high school of Jr. High so that might be the reason f-ing students sound so bad too me because I work with very young children who can hardly be held accountable for their actions. If my students do something daft I have to look at as a chance to help them improve their character.
MIJ
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 am

To be honest I have never really felt that way about the students. The reason is because I work with elementary aged kids. I have thought. Fraking parents, fracking teachers, and fracking school administration. I have yet to work with high school of Jr. High so that might be the reason f-ing students sound so bad too me because I work with very young children who can hardly be held accountable for their actions. If my students do something daft I have to look at as a chance to help them improve their character.
I think the age of the students is a key factor. You teach elementary. MiJ teaches high school kids. At that age they are more than accountable for their actions.

So students are somehow more deserving of respect than parents, your coworkers, and school staff? It's OK for you to think that about them, but not OK for me to think that about my students? How do you figure that one out?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

jus

Post by jus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 am

Heck yeah, those no hopers with real lame ass mullets and piercings all over, who sets fire to toilet paper and throw furniture out the window.

And the crowds would cry "Cruxify them, cruxify them!"

But in this case, we aren't talking about them.

Let us direct our attentions to the subject of Mijs wrathful displeasure :mrgreen: . Polite litte catholic girls whose only transgression was to be so bold as to "request to be a friend" by clicking on a button.
The bloody thing is dangerous. Do you have any idea how many girls are enticed into meeting with strangers on sites like facebook, mixi, and so on and so forth? I know several students this has happened to. Fortunately the school lectures them ad nauseum about the dangers of social network sites, so the girls closed their accounts once they were approaced by the wierdos, but it's still fucking scary.
Thats very true, but mij, as we all know, is neither stranger, weirdo, or pedo.

I've never taught at a catholic girls school, but I'd say that there was probably no malicious intent in the act. Its not like they ditch your class to smoke in the corridor or cling to the ceiling with fingers and toes, staring at you with red eyes while vomiting green stuff from a head that doesn't stop turning. That would probably warrant a "... fucking student..."

But, what was it again, almost half a dozen friend requests? :lol:

My friend, thats at most five. "Five of my students tried to friend me on facebook, I'M FEYUuuuUURIUSasasasa."
Were it five hundred friend requests flooding your facebook page, or fifty, or maybe even fifteen, then maybe you could be justified. But five, come now, thats harmless nay?

EDIT: apologies, "about half a dozen," so 5, 6 or 7 wateva :lol:

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:02 am

Spevna wrote:
I think the age of the students is a key factor. You teach elementary. MiJ teaches high school kids. At that age they are more than accountable for their actions.

So students are somehow more deserving of respect than parents, your coworkers, and school staff? It's OK for you to think that about them, but not OK for me to think that about my students? How do you figure that one out?
Not saying it is any better it is however more accurate in my case. It does help me to empathise with Mij but again I have thought that and even said things like that but writing them is too permanent. At the end of the day I think anger should be avoided curses should be avoided simply because rants are generally misunderstood.
MIJ
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 am

As I mentioned before, and as spev reiterated, the use of swear words does not imply anger. I don't hate my students. A couple of folks misunderstood my post due to regional variation in word usage. Fair enough, but don't expect me to change how I speak to suit your regional variation. Neither will I expect you to change yours to mine.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Chubu”