The units I like v the units that work??

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The units I like v the units that work??

Post by Primarch » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Ok that is true and it is relevant thanks to the what was currently pulling this thread off topic... I think we have had enough we can lock this down if no one else has any thing to say about taking units because one likes them as apposed to taking units that one does not like...
Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you get to decide the content. Discussions often go in ways we dont expect and thats part of the fun of it all. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Spevna wrote:
job wrote:
Spevna wrote:
Nope, not rubbish. It is fact. It is a fact that GW has said the game is not balanced. It is a fact that they have said they have not written it for tournament play.

Of course they could write a more balanced game, but they don't want to.
GW and you can say what you like, skippy, but it is still 'rubbish'. You say anything, but if it's silly and worthless, it's also "rubbish". ;)

If some essence of balance and wasn't thought why would there be tournaments, constant attention to play testing before releases and, as TOD cleverly pointed out, points values.

The gaming communities if been part of have almost always demanded balance, most particularly from GW fans who tend to be the most competitive bunch in my experience.

GW really looks like their just making an excuse for not living up to fan demands.

Of course you need, as you put it, an essence of balance to add a basic framework and structure to choosing forces. A game with an essence of balance, and a balanced game are not one and the same. The PP games are balanced (from what I have heard). WH40K can be balanced IF the people playing sit down together and and make their lists with that intention.

40K in it's original incarnation was basically a tabletop skirmish/rpg game. Balance was not even an afterthought. The GM would sort out the forces involved and run the players through the scenario. That mentality still influences the game to a certain extent I think.

Most of the tournaments are not official GW events I believe ( I could be wrong here). GW has said that they never wrote the rules to be for tournaments. If players try to play a 40K tourny and then complain about a lack of balance, they should call for a waaawaaawaaaaambulance.

If there was the constant attention to playtesting that you talk of, surely the issues of balance would be obvious. And if they are obvious, GW must be choosing not to act on them. And the reason for that lack of action is that balance is not, has never been, and probably never will be something that GW bothers themselves with.

WH40K is a casual game designed to be played with beer, pretzels, friends and for fun. This is the reason I don't attend tournaments.

If players are getting into a game that was never designed to be balanced, and is well know for not being balanced,they shouldn't proceed to then complain about said lack of balance.

It would be like buying a pair of white sneakers with velcro straps and then complaining that they should be black, and have laces, and be more formal, and made of shiny leather. If you want shoes, buy shoes. If you want sneakers, buy sneakers.

And don't call me 'skippy'.
I don't see your point on 'skippy'. After all it was you who first used it do address me.

I would agree that in it's original form, GW created a fairly informal skirmish game that was meant to be low-key and chill.

But, it has come along way since then. Saying that players have no say in the direction of a game is silly, particularly for a corporation. If you think complaining about pricing, rules, theme or models is okay, then why would complaining about rules or points balancing be any different?

Anyway, I think most gamers, particularly WHFB or 40k players, would tell you that the hobby is more then just buying miniatures and playing it. So many guys have invested a good portion of their time and energy into more then just the game. These people have a good stake in the game. It is far more to them then 'picking and buying a pair of sneakers'. Right?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 pm

^I think we have just found Spevs new nickname :D :D :D
He soooooo reminds me of the beloved Bush Kangaroo/A box of cornflakes. :twisted:
Skippy has a point :D
You two are more than welcome to call me Skippy.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Spevna wrote:
^I think we have just found Spevs new nickname :D :D :D
He soooooo reminds me of the beloved Bush Kangaroo/A box of cornflakes. :twisted:
You two are more than welcome to call me Skippy.
@skipperoo - hey! how about me?

incidentally, is it just me or is corn starting to get on your thrup'ny bits a bit? tis for me. seems to have gone a bit dental...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Konrad you have a great point here Codex orks came out 3 or 4 years ago and he is finally putting the once uber unit in his list (Great show old man) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: hooray for the mean green...

It is up to the players to make it balanced be cause the RAW is not balanced I think we all agree on this point.... :geek:

GW has never nor they will ever back tournaments in the way the competitive fan base wants them to. I worked for the company about 2 years ago... and they never encouraged tournaments in any way shape or form. I ran 2 tournaments for them and they sent a bit of prize support but they did nothing to help with the rules pack and they did not even help us advertise it on the website. :ugeek: :ugeek:

Back to my OP :mrgreen:

I guess my ploy is that players balance there games take less competitive armies and play for a laugh... no list tailoring take what is fun not what will crush your "friends" amy. Example

Job plays Dwarves, if I take an amy that is built to kill dwarves up against him, when he is bringing an all comers list then the game might be less fun and is therefore a wast of time. :cry:

Skippy is a really good nick name much better than my earlier attempt Spevina :P :P :P
Sorry, things are getting off topic for you, but I think balance has something to do with effectiveness.

I do think that tailoring your list is fine as long as it is understood openly between them. Personally, I prefer all comers lists, where players don't design things to perform one task really well. Nor do I like "hidden" list play where people try to use 'surprise' to create advantages.

Maybe as Spevena and M_i_J said, "Beer n' Pretzels" is the atmosphere that is preferable, but I think it would be hard to find in the open GW game community where it seems pretty competitive. Maybe in small groups and between friends it is easy to find.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Chubu”