my silence and my situation; ramblings of a mad man

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: my silence and my situation; ramblings of a mad man

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:48 am

I have a proposition:

How about having a painty day up at your place? I could bring my paints, and maybe (?!?) my airbrush (unless you have one, which would make my life oodles easier) and we could work through some painting stuff. Nice and relaxed and (obviously) non competitive so you wouldnt have to worry about that side of things. I'm off from the 23rd to the 5th, but will be in Nagano over the (guessing here) 29th or 30th to about the 2nd. I'm also busy on the 24th and 25th.

(to clarify: 23, 26, 27, 28, 3, 4, 5 = OK)

How does that sound?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 am

job wrote:
Job: WoC are organized and assembled, but not painted by far. None of my fantasy is painted much. 40k stuff is more painted (DoC nearly completely painted) For FoW, should probably have added that you are right, fallschirmjager are early war now. So that gives me an infantry force for all three, but the treadhead in me wants tanks too. A liechte panzer company is to drool over or something else mobile. Wanted Italian infantry but already have an infantry so not so important now. As for painting, I am afraid that fallschirmjager use one of those fancy camo schemes that are just beyond my ability to paint right now. I tried, looked like total crap and got the nail polish remover treatment ASAP. I need practice on something easier before I try to tackle them.
Yeah camo on infantry can be time consuming. I recommend starting with the artillery. Depending if it is a regular Herr unit, the crew would be just German field grey and the guns pretty straight forward. Also the Stugs are bigger and the paint schemes near infinite.
No idea if they are going to be heer or SS. depends I guess on what the most common option is.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:52 am

me_in_japan wrote:I have a proposition:

How about having a painty day up at your place? I could bring my paints, and maybe (?!?) my airbrush (unless you have one, which would make my life oodles easier) and we could work through some painting stuff. Nice and relaxed and (obviously) non competitive so you wouldnt have to worry about that side of things. I'm off from the 23rd to the 5th, but will be in Nagano over the (guessing here) 29th or 30th to about the 2nd. I'm also busy on the 24th and 25th.

How does that sound?
I'm off starting the 23rd and go until the 3rd I think. Free anytime during then
-Alten Ashley

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:55 am

Colonel Voss wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:I have a proposition:

How about having a painty day up at your place?

How does that sound?
I'm off starting the 23rd and go until the 3rd I think. Free anytime during then
My schedule sounds similar to that as well. Let me know if you want more company. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 am

You mean for the painting or visiting?
-Alten Ashley

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Colonel Voss wrote:You mean for the painting or visiting?
I'm good with either. What suits you best?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Right now, I think one at a time visits are best. More people requires more energy and my energy is still pretty finite.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm

I've spent the past two days thinking pretty heavily about stuff. First I want to thank all of you who have rallied around me. It means a lot for me to have people being proactive and trying to help.

With regards to my armies, well I have made some interesting thoughts based on what people have been saying.

First, I think warmachine and FoW are both decided, keep all. For FoW, a second army is still up in the air. Actually talking about FoW has brought an interesting thought to mind on 40k.

Right now, I can say that the Skaven and Demons of Chaos are the only ones not on the chopping block. While my rats aren't the soundest built army, they are guaranteed to be fun so are worth keeping. My DoC are mostly painted so finishing up isn't going to be hard and maybe later I can improve on the painting once I learn some new tricks.

While I enjoy chaos, I have realized that the warriors of chaos just aren't going to make the cut without some really compelling reasons to keep them. i remember back in 4th and 5th how the demons, warriors and beastmen were all together. That was truly a chaotic army and one worth collecting. But just warriors feels empty. That leaves a bunch of smaller armies and the question to keep any or get rid of them all. HE, WE, gobbos and dwarfs are all on the chopping block. DE are most likely to go too. That leaves the Brettonians as the only other possible keeper. It'd be a slow paint high quality army, but the question then becomes am I keeping too many high qualities (DoC, fallschirmjager, retriburtion so far)?

With 40k, GK are another high quality army. They also need a lot more support to get them to the fun fielding level so the question for brets applies here as well as the cost. IG has become a bit of an interesting question. Talking with Job in this forum, I pointed out that I am an infantry treadhead. I enjoy the infantry and I enjoy the armor. On interesting thing FoW has opened up is the mass infantry and armor that I like with guard on a much smaller size but easier to get the larger numbers. I can truly do what I want with the guard in FoW easier than in 40k. And I get the bonus of being able to watch videos of the real tanks in action. Of course a a treadhead, I wouldn't be able to part with all my tanks. Just not sure what to do with the guard now.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 am

Update.......Well sort of. Nothing much has changed besides an increase in insomnia medicine and yesterday I actually glued some models together (GASP!!). Keep trying to sit down to paint but find the motivation lacking. Not so much not wanting to paint or game or what not, just a general lack of motivation over all. I hate to say it, but the longer this has gone on the more I've felt like all of this has happened before and all of it is happening again (had to get in a BSG, just had to). But this time I don't have the energy to rally and push ahead, so why bother.

Army front, got my retribution minis. They look good and they are what I have been gluing together. Not much has sold so money is still tight. Burning empires was a nice read. Kudos to Battlefront for putting this one together. While I would enjoy to put together a Greek army, I know that the hodgepodge nature and the trouble ordering FoW stuff is going to make that hard. Instead I'll focus for now on fallschirmjager and an early war german light tank company. If lots of people want to trade minis for FoW stuff, I may be able to pull off a Greek army and teach Job's Geibers the meaning of Ochi!
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 am

Update, more bad luck on Sat. This one just hit too much at once.

Otherwise, I'm packing and getting ready to move. Between the two, this'll be my last post here for a while. I'm completely drained and I would make a bad game opponent right now.

So until next time, may your dice always rolls sixes except during leadership checks.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Chubu”