baby nationality

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
ashmie
Wargod

baby nationality

Post by ashmie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Me Spev and MIJ were talking earlier about baby status of nationality when born in Japan from British and Japanese parents.
I was advised by the embassy in Osaka that no matter what my children would be British and have foreign passports and gaijincards due to 'new rules' that have been changed.
Only if they have two sets of Japanese parents will the babies be Japanese. I've checked the website for the British embassy and it doesn't say that anywhere so feeling like I have been lied to or misled somewhat on this one.
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... ster-birth

It all could be a load of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmXQU5BY4c
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: baby nationality

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:33 pm

I think the first line in your sig probably applies here :D

Thanks for a great afternoon's RPGing, and also thanks very much for booze n fish n chips afterwards. Yer a toff, guv'na, as they say darn sarf :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:32 am

ashmie wrote:Me Spev and MIJ were talking earlier about baby status of nationality when born in Japan from British and Japanese parents.
I was advised by the embassy in Osaka that no matter what my children would be British and have foreign passports and gaijincards due to 'new rules' that have been changed.
Only if they have two sets of Japanese parents will the babies be Japanese. I've checked the website for the British embassy and it doesn't say that anywhere so feeling like I have been lied to or misled somewhat on this one.
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... ster-birth

It all could be a load of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcmXQU5BY4c
If one parent if Japanese, the baby is Japanese. That's the Japanese law, no ifs ands or buts. I don't know British law, but if British law allows a baby with one British parent to be British, baby is both. Japanese law allows children to possess dual citizenship until they are (18,19,20? I forget). Dual citizenship is not allowed in other circumstances. Once baby becomes an adult they either A. renonouce their Japanese citizenship or B. sign a paper stating their "intention" to renounce thier foriegn citizenship and retain their Japanese. In practice, no one follows up if the foriegn citizenship is actually renounced. No foriegn government is going to say, Ah-ha you "intended" to renounce your citizenship. The Japanese government cannot seize a foriegn passport you might be carrying.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:55 am

If one parent if Japanese, the baby is Japanese. That's the Japanese law, no ifs ands or buts. I don't know British law, but if British law allows a baby with one British parent to be British, baby is both. Japanese law allows children to possess dual citizenship until they are (18,19,20? I forget). Dual citizenship is not allowed in other circumstances. Once baby becomes an adult they either A. renonouce their Japanese citizenship or B. sign a paper stating their "intention" to renounce thier foriegn citizenship and retain their Japanese. In practice, no one follows up if the foriegn citizenship is actually renounced. No foriegn government is going to say, Ah-ha you "intended" to renounce your citizenship. The Japanese government cannot seize a foriegn passport you might be carrying.
wot he said.

Which is also wot I said, when we were talking about it :)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Konrad wrote:If one parent if Japanese, the baby is Japanese. That's the Japanese law, no ifs ands or buts. I don't know British law, but if British law allows a baby with one British parent to be British, baby is both. Japanese law allows children to possess dual citizenship until they are (18,19,20? I forget). Dual citizenship is not allowed in other circumstances. Once baby becomes an adult they either A. renonouce their Japanese citizenship or B. sign a paper stating their "intention" to renounce thier foriegn citizenship and retain their Japanese. In practice, no one follows up if the foriegn citizenship is actually renounced. No foriegn government is going to say, Ah-ha you "intended" to renounce your citizenship. The Japanese government cannot seize a foriegn passport you might be carrying.
But they can (should they so choose) revoke your Japanese citizenship if they feel you are abusing the system. (Not sure about this in the case of children though, only non-nationals who make the switch but dont really).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I'd be bloody surprised if they could revoke citizenship for a born national. That'd be like the UK telling you you weren't british anymore. They could maybe take away your passport, but not your nationality.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Primarch wrote:
Konrad wrote:If one parent if Japanese, the baby is Japanese. That's the Japanese law, no ifs ands or buts. I don't know British law, but if British law allows a baby with one British parent to be British, baby is both. Japanese law allows children to possess dual citizenship until they are (18,19,20? I forget). Dual citizenship is not allowed in other circumstances. Once baby becomes an adult they either A. renonouce their Japanese citizenship or B. sign a paper stating their "intention" to renounce thier foriegn citizenship and retain their Japanese. In practice, no one follows up if the foriegn citizenship is actually renounced. No foriegn government is going to say, Ah-ha you "intended" to renounce your citizenship. The Japanese government cannot seize a foriegn passport you might be carrying.
But they can (should they so choose) revoke your Japanese citizenship if they feel you are abusing the system. (Not sure about this in the case of children though, only non-nationals who make the switch but dont really).
Who is the "you" in this sentence? If you are a a non national who became Japanese, possibly. If you were born Japanese, no they can't.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I'd be bloody surprised if they could revoke citizenship for a born national. That'd be like the UK telling you you weren't british anymore. They could maybe take away your passport, but not your nationality.
Spevna wrote:Who is the "you" in this sentence? If you are a a non national who became Japanese, possibly. If you were born Japanese, no they can't.
Primarch wrote:But they can (should they so choose) revoke your Japanese citizenship if they feel you are abusing the system. (Not sure about this in the case of children though, only non-nationals who make the switch but dont really).
Sorry, I thought this was clearer.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 am

Ashmie, I hope you ensure your child has citizenship in each country. As a person with dual citizenships, I am a very, very satisfied person, and I never feel it impinge on my ability to uphold my duties to each country.

I recently revived my Japanese citizenship and I've been living here happily contributing what I can.

What Konrad wrote is correct. At 22, all citizens are supposed to declare their intention, but most people never go forward and the government just presumes you keep your Japanese citizenship. In my case, when I was asked about "国籍を離脱”, the official at the Legal ministry actually advised me to not give up my Japanese nationality nor my US citizenship and just continue.
If the issue of holding two passports comes up with a Japanese official, then there is a chance the person's Japanese citizenship could be stripped from them, but there are no other penalties associated.

Otherwise, most Japanese dual citizens do just fine. I think your child will be blessed to be in that position. :)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Grim Ironjaw
Warrior

Post by Grim Ironjaw » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm

job wrote:Ashmie, I hope you ensure your child has citizenship in each country. As a person with dual citizenships, I am a very, very satisfied person, and I never feel it impinge on my ability to uphold my duties to each country.

I recently revived my Japanese citizenship and I've been living here happily contributing what I can.

What Konrad wrote is correct. At 22, all citizens are supposed to declare their intention, but most people never go forward and the government just presumes you keep your Japanese citizenship. In my case, when I was asked about "国籍を離脱”, the official at the Legal ministry actually advised me to not give up my Japanese nationality nor my US citizenship and just continue.
If the issue of holding two passports comes up with a Japanese official, then there is a chance the person's Japanese citizenship could be stripped from them, but there are no other penalties associated.

Otherwise, most Japanese dual citizens do just fine. I think your child will be blessed to be in that position. :)

I'm thrilled to hear this as I was not looking forward (well, about 20 years forward) to my kids having to choose one or the other.

On a different note, does this thread mean that Ashmie Jr. is currently on the way, or were you just asking?
Minis painted 2015: 0ish
Bloodbowl teams owned: 6
Gutter Runners squelched: 35

Return to “Chubu”