Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Rick Priestly interview

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:12 am

Very interesting. Just goes to show what happens when your hobby becomes your job.
You have to separate the games I was playing socially from the work – and because I was so heavily involved with Warhammer and 40K as a job it meant I rarely played those games just ‘for fun’ from the 90’s onwards.
Honestly, I do prefer the newer versions of WFB and 40k, the old rules were sooo complex. That said, the attitude of the older versions is still a good way to view wargaming. Having read Rick's Black Powder and Hail Caesar rules from cover to cover, his approach comes through very clearly. Gaming is for fun and it is something to do with your mates over a few beers.
Despite GW's constant attempts to put people off the hobby, I think we are living in a great age for gaming. 40K and WFB continue to become better written and more streamlined. New companies like PP, Battlefront and Wyrd are becoming bigger and more mainstream. The old school designers are still producing cool games: Rick's aforementioned Black Powder and Hail Caesar; Andy Chambers is doing Dust Warfare; Gav Thorpe did Cutlass recently. And finally, more and more minis companies (some good, some bad) are springing up giving everyone a choice of everything from Amazons to Zoanthropes and beyond. Being able to hear about how it all started gives a nice perspective to it all.

Viva la Wargaming. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:26 am

Primarch wrote: Having read Rick's Black Powder and Hail Caesar rules from cover to cover, his approach comes through very clearly. Gaming is for fun and it is something to do with your mates over a few beers.
Despite GW's constant attempts to put people off the hobby, I think we are living in a great age for gaming. 40K and WFB continue to become better written and more streamlined. New companies like PP, Battlefront and Wyrd are becoming bigger and more mainstream. The old school designers are still producing cool games: Rick's aforementioned Black Powder and Hail Caesar; Andy Chambers is doing Dust Warfare; Gav Thorpe did Cutlass recently. And finally, more and more minis companies (some good, some bad) are springing up giving everyone a choice of everything from Amazons to Zoanthropes and beyond. Being able to hear about how it all started gives a nice perspective to it all.

Hear Hear! Nicely said Prim :D

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:11 am

kojibear wrote:
Primarch wrote: Having read Rick's Black Powder and Hail Caesar rules from cover to cover, his approach comes through very clearly. Gaming is for fun and it is something to do with your mates over a few beers.

Hear Hear! Nicely said Prim :D
Indeed! We are living in a veritable golden age of gaming resources. I think there is one thing missing however. A lot of us got into the hobby when the attitude put forth by Rick was the norm in gaming. A lot of newer gamers will not be so lucky as to have that kind of intro to the hobby. I guess it is down to us old farts to make sure they do :-)

PS. I found this interview in a thread on Frothers UK. Someone posted a comment saying that they wondered what games R.P was playing at the moment. Lo and behold the man himself responded. He is a legend in the community. May he long continue to write rules.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:54 am

Spevna wrote:Indeed! We are living in a veritable golden age of gaming resources. I think there is one thing missing however. A lot of us got into the hobby when the attitude put forth by Rick was the norm in gaming. A lot of newer gamers will not be so lucky as to have that kind of intro to the hobby. I guess it is down to us old farts to make sure they do :-)
If only I could get more folks to read the BP/HC books it would help a lot. Plus BP and HC look like awesome games to boot. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Chubu”