torrents

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

torrents

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 pm

yeah! you read that right. I'm gonna talk about torrents. grrrrrrrr :lol:

not that I condone illegal downloading or owt like that, I just have a question to ask. In general, like.

My question is: has there been some kind of shift in the law recently, because google, which used to deliver a bajillion hits for certain well known TV shows starring certain well know travellers through the timey wimey continuuuminum, is currently delivering a great big "nah." when I try to...get information about the Christmas special. Verra odd indeed, and indeed sufficiently so to put the heebie jeebies up me for even looking. I can, btw, categorically state that I don't have said TV show in my possession. I would quite like to, but I don't.

Anybody else had the same problem? This is a genuine question regarding changes in law, particularly US law, as that seems to be the problem according to google. I'm not fishing for links or owt, so put the big stick away, Prim :D

ps part of the reason I ask is because I know there has been a change in Japanese law regarding downloads. Maximum sentence for illegally downloading (not uploading, downloading) is now 2 years in the clink. Seems way mucho overkill to me, but then it may just be to scare people off even trying.

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-downloadin ... ay-121001/

*edit* does anybody use a VPN? They seem intriguing...(and legal! Put the stick down and walk away slowly, Primski!)
http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-s ... your-needs
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: torrents

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm

I can't speak for US or other laws, but the changes to the law in Japan are what concern me. Previously downloading was punishable with a stern talking to. Now it's 2 years in prison (harshest punishment for it in the world. Even in the US it is usually a case for civil court).
The biggest worry is how many other crimes you will confess to when the police are investigating you for downloading stuff. Technically your ISP should be monitoring how much you are downloading at any given time. If they think it is a lot, they should check the hash tags on the file to see if they match any known illegal files. If they do they pass the info on to the police. Now, the odds of the ISPs caring that much and actually bothering with it are probably really low, but at the same time, giving the police any excuse to bring you in for questioning is probably best avoided.

So best of luck searching for hypothetical files, but please keep any progress you make off the site.

Cheers,
P.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:43 pm

me_in_japan wrote: Christmas special.
Check your PM.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Will it be illegal to download pirated music or video files from a website?

This criminal penalty will not apply to downloading content that was shown for free on the Internet or other media, such as a television program that is not pay-per-view, but illegally downloading such content can still be grounds for a civil lawsuit.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120711f1.html
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Spevna wrote:Will it be illegal to download pirated music or video files from a website?

This criminal penalty will not apply to downloading content that was shown for free on the Internet or other media, such as a television program that is not pay-per-view, but illegally downloading such content can still be grounds for a civil lawsuit.

From the same link:

If I download a British TV program that has not aired in Japan and is not even released on DVD in the U.K.,purely for personal viewing, will that be illegal?

That can be illegal if the user knows the content has been uploaded without permission from the copyright holder.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Primarch wrote:
Spevna wrote:Will it be illegal to download pirated music or video files from a website?

From the same link:

If I download a British TV program that has not aired in Japan and is not even released on DVD in the U.K.,purely for personal viewing, will that be illegal?

That can be illegal if the user knows the content has been uploaded without permission from the copyright holder.
I am a very trusting chap who is more than willing to believe whatever claims certain websites choose to make as to the legality of the content they make available.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Tsutaya still has their big rack of burn able CDs and DVDs conveniently located next to the movie rental counter. :D

Anyway, there are better and more anonymous avenues than bit-torrent for acquiring digital entertainment.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm

FYI: A bloke I know got a letter from his service provider saying cease and desist. Please stop this or we will cut your connection and contract.
First time in 7 years.
I prefer to pay for stuff on itunes. And to be honest it feels better and the quality is always good. HD.
Working my way through the last 7 years of missed Dr Who this winter. Just watched The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit. Much recommended if you haven't seen it. :)
Last edited by ashmie on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Mate there has been a ballsup with the Christmas special. I downloaded on it on itunes thinking it would be there on the 25th and me and a billion others are still waiting and are feeling shortchanged. It will probably be out of the UK when it comes off i player.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Chubu”