Unique restaurants in Nagoya

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
Eigen
Rookie

Unique restaurants in Nagoya

Post by Eigen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am

So, really funny question for my friends down South (from Gifu!). One of my friends is having a birthday and we're trying to find a really fun place to go for dinner before we hit up a favorite beer garden. We're trying to find something unusual, interesting or unique and are coming up dry!

In Tokyo it's so easy to hit up an Alice in Wonderland theme cafe or get locked in a "Jail Cell" for dinner. Is there anything like that in Nagoya at all? I've tried looking but don't see much!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Unique restaurants in Nagoya

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Kangoku is an izakaya in Nagoya. Um. Haunted prison themed izakaya. Not sure if that's why you're after. I've never been myself, but it was recommended to me a few years ago.

http://www.kangoku.com/

A few years out of date, but it's the first hit on google.

http://nihonshock.com/2010/04/kangoku-i ... in-prison/
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Well, there is the infamous Mountain Cafe - it doesn't have any special theme or anything, but it is known for bad food, mountains of it, at reasonable prices. It's most famous dish it it's sweet pasta (hot pasta with strawberry or other fruit sauce and whipped cream on top). Your friend might not thank you if you take him/her their, but it is unique! It is a little tricky to find, here are a couple of links:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%96%AB ... 6%E3%83%B3

http://hopefulinnagoya.blogspot.jp/2010 ... ntain.html

http://kikuko-nagoya.com/html/mountain.html

There are also a bunch of maid cafes in Osu, don't know if they are very unique compared to the ones in Tokyo though.

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:38 pm

I should know this stuff better than I do, really…

There are maid cafes of various kinds. The airport also has a restaurant with windows that are closer to the runway than any other in Japan (or the world?) so you can watch the jets taking off and landing.

There used to be a cool izakaya in Sakae done up Arabian Nights style, and you had to say "hirake goma!" while rubbing a magic lamp before the concealed door would open and let you in. (No, really.) But I think they've closed now.

The unique restaurants that usually get promoted in tourist guides are highlighted for their food — especially eel restaurants.

Eigen
Rookie

Post by Eigen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 am

That jail one looks pretty awesome! I'm sad the arabian nights place closed up. Just wondering though, that wasn't one of the Indian curry places by Nagoya Tower, was it? I remember going to an Indian pub that had a door that looked like the rest of the wall like 2 years back but it was just wedged open

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:16 am

Eigen wrote:That jail one looks pretty awesome! I'm sad the arabian nights place closed up. Just wondering though, that wasn't one of the Indian curry places by Nagoya Tower, was it? I remember going to an Indian pub that had a door that looked like the rest of the wall like 2 years back but it was just wedged open
No, it was called Arabian Rock and it was right on one of the main streets in Sakae. No Indian food, but a mix of Middle-Eastern and standard Japanese izakaya food.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 am

Daibutsu Korokoro is a fun place right near Nagoya Station with a twisty turny vaguely Showa-themed decor that's purposefully designed to make you get lost when you go to the bathroom.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Eigen
Rookie

Post by Eigen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 am

I ended up going to the jail izakaya with about 13 others and a good time was had. We were kind of shocked at the menu/courses because some dishes you order a la carte we found to be quite the rip off for the amount of food you get, while others were massive in portion. That part was pretty odd!

The place is just AWESOME looking. Highly recommend keeping the group to around 8 or less so you can fit in one of the individual cells but regardless, it was awesome to be there. The show was definitely cheesy but cute/an experience. :D For the price I doubt many will be back often, but it's cool for the odd birthday party!

As a side note: the waiters/waitresses were totally down with a bunch of gaijin.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:05 am

Good to know you had a good time. As I said, I've never been myself, but back when I was teaching for eikaiwa I used to work all over Mie, and quite a few of my students in various towns all independently recommended the place. Good to know it was sound advice (and not a little relieved, since I did just pass on the recommendation to you ;) )
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Chubu”