Sitrep, FUBAR

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
Colonel Voss

Sitrep, FUBAR

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 am

Well as the title suggestions, my situation isn't good to say the least. It's been deteriorating for a while but now it's hit a really unstable and dangerous low.

In August, unsure why my city tax information had not yet come, I took a little trip to city hall. There I found out that my company had for the fourth year in a row, sent it to the wrong city. For the first three years, the city forwarded it to my current city, but as I moved last year they couldn't and so they sent it back to the company and the company sat on it. I made a desperate call and the company finally moved their behinds and then I went to work with city hall on how to pay the taxes. The company said all the right apologies, but that was it. I had insisted that I speak with the accountant to 1) find out why this happened and 2) find out if there were any more surprises. My boss denied it.

Now paying the taxes is pretty taxing (no pun intended) on my budget but doable. To open up some money and generate some enthusiasm for myself (hey new army coming or some money to play with), I put several lots of things up for sale on this site. It sorta worked with the menoth coming. I also began to slash my budget and tighten my belt.

Now in September, my national health insurance suddenly surged to an extremely high level. Not knowing why, this last Friday I went to investigate. Because my income information was late, the health insurance couldn't properly take out the right amount of money. So now they are making up for the earlier months. Between that and the taxes, that is 5 man a month, or more or less, the last of my remaining budget even after tightening my belt.

Now all of this is bad enough, however the company response (and me losing my temper as the full implications of the total sank in) have caused a huge problem. On my side, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our highly paid head teacher is a worthless sack of potatoes, so in my anger, I flat out said give me his job and his pay and I'll show you what a head teacher can do (given that I am already doing half the job anyway, why not).

First, my boss cannot see beyond the fact that this is mearly a budget problem, not a huge gutting of funds, and thus not super important. He's apologized so I should move on. Second, he considers this to be a personal problem between me and the accountant, and me and the head teacher with him stuck in the middle. He doesn't like it and has gone as far as to say that all the hours he spends dealing with personal problems is wasting his time and he's ready to evaluate people on how much he has to mediate personal time. So basically, this is my fault and I take up too much of his time while the head teacher doesn't (because he does nothing at all) instead of a business problem.

I did apologize that night (Fri.) on my temper and lashing out. I have also offered to help. So far he has not replied at all and I'm still in a huge budget problem. One way or another, I figure my days here are nearly over. Either I'm going to quit or he is going to let me go.

So it is time to look for a new job. If anyone can help in that area I would greatly appreciate it. I know Japan runs very heavily on word of mouth. I've got 12 years in Japan and can speak reletively well, have worked English conversation, have worked kindy through Junior high including designing cirriculums for elementary and junior high schools. I've overseen other teachers and what not.

With money tight, you'll also probably see more things up for sale. Now it is becoming an imperative that I get some money so I can move if/when the ballooon goes up.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Sitrep, FUBAR

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 am

If you need a place to stay at any point I can help you out bro. As for a job I do not have anything at the moment. PM me if you need anything.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

I will give you a shout if I hear of anything that might suit you mate. Your best bet is to spam application forms to every vacancy that looks worthwhile. Your boss sounds like a self-interested loser, so get out of there before he finds a worse way to screw you over. Even better, approach the heads of the schools you work at to see if they would be willing to take you on. The prefectural schoolboard (??? If they have such a thing) may be another option.

I'll do what I can to help.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 am

I second Prim. While I hear it is hard in the city because of some of the agencies, you might get accepted by a local school district especially if you have established a relationship with them.

If I hear of something, I'll give a shout out, but otherwise start spreading those resumes.

FUBAR for sure. Now head up and go at them!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Ive heard from some other teachers that if you go and explain your problem to the insurance people, they will sometime allow you to pay over a longer period of time, or even reduce how much you have to pay, if you are polite and bow a lot. Of course, also depends on whoever is at the desk at that time and what mood they are in, but it might be worth a shot. I'll let you know if I hear about any job openings.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Colonel, as someone who has had an equally awful year I sympathise.
Japan is not easy at the best of times and its easy to lose our temper as things pile up so don't feel bad. It's a shame that losing it isn't as commonplace as it is back home. It's perceived differently here and can cause no end of troubles as I've found.
I have been job hunting throughout the year and can tell you there is still plenty of work out there if you are not too fussy. If you have time it's worth hanging on for something you want to do. Sure there's gaijin pot but don't be afraid to contact individual Japanese companies and look on other sites like jobs in Japan. Not as easy to navigate but sometimes there's some gems on there. Don't be afraid to branch out from the eikaiwa alt racket either. There are many jobs in companies that require an English instructer or have an English speaking post if your Japanese is survivable.
Don't give up yet.
As to the taxes, we all owe em mate. Get up to date on exactly what is outstanding and then put a monthly repayment plan together. Don't bankrupt yourself by paying big lump sums.

Also it may look bad but don't waste time by feeling down or bad. Get out there and apply.
Ill give the thread I used a bump so if anyone finds anything they can add to it.
Some of the guys on here really helped me out earlier in the year.
Best of luck mate, don't panic.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:29 pm

I had a plan in place until the insurance situation blew up. Had I been able to talk to the accountant I am sure he could have warned me about that, but that was not the case. I have to keep an eye to the future so while I can let things go a bit if needed, I am aiming to clear this debt by March if at all possible. Makes it harder to move, but if it comes down to it, I am sure I can work things out with the city. They seem to understand that I am up the creek without a paddle.

Tried to talk to the boss on Monday, left a message and was very polite, apologized again and offered to help with some things. Also went to the JHS and asked for a letter of recomendation explaining that things aren't going well and I may be let go or may leave on my own accord. They really like me there and I wish they could take me on full time and even said if they had an opening in the future I would be interested. The principal said he'd ask the office if it was ok to write a letter and the head teacher even went as far to say that the school really wants to keep me around.

Also sent a small message to my boss since he hasn't said anything since Friday's chewing out. Basically saying that I was going to assume the worst and act accordingly since he hadn't bothered to reply. Also pointed out that my issues I have brought up are not personal but business. Boy did I get it hard. He could easily have taken 5 seconds to send a message on Monday, but instead he spent a good chunk of time today writing a rather nasty message to me saying how he is too busy (laying on all his personal problems and business at once) and he can't be bothered to deal with all my personal problems. Given his double standard and hypocrisy of the past, this smacks of that just too much. So when the JHS contacts them, this should be interesting to see what happens. Too bad he never listened to me or his business problems would be a lot less. As they say, some people have eyes but cannot see and ears but cannot hear.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 am

Well the Rubicon has been crossed. I'm still looking for a job but my replacement has been selected. It's funny how all the interviews didn't bother me in the least. And knowing that things are changing isn't worrying me. The hardest part is going to be finding out where I am going and getting there.

1) Need to get a job. I've done lots of interviews. Something should crop up.
2) Packing and getting ready to move. Don't know where I'm going, but with my replacement coming in early March, I want as much packed up and ready to go on the drop of a hat before he gets here. So if anyone has time to come help pack and organize in February I would greatly appreciate it. I may also be asking for help moving to wherever I am going depending on if it is nearby.
3)Gotta get money sorted out so I can make the move/get the apartment.

Due to the unknown variables, I'm putting my painting on hold (to pack away) and probably any game besides battletech (not too many minis). In the meantime, it is wait and see.
-Alten Ashley

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:54 am

Best of luck mate. Remember that no job is forever and whatever comes up, so long as it pays the bills, is better than nothing. Also, if you can get everything else packed up, painting doesn't take up much space and can be easily packed up just before a move if you keep all your paint in cardboard boxes (like the ones shipping companies send em in). Be careful not to deprive yourself of things to do in the evening cos everything is packed away :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 am

Good point. I'll put some thought into keeping something out to paint, though certain things need to be packed specially and the proper space allocated while others are a bit more free in packing due to various reasons.

My main concern is that in early March, I'll have another bloke staying in this house with me (on my dime :evil: ). So if at possible, I want things packed up so he can't get his grubby mitts into anything. Also if I know whereabouts I am going to live, I will do my utmost to move ASAP so that maybe I don't have to pay rent for March or at least as little a possible. As I fully plan on downsizing my living area, that will hopefully save me some money somehow.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Chubu”