What's good to eat in Nagoya?

For people living in the Chubu region of Japan
Jye Nicolson
Legend

What's good to eat in Nagoya?

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:50 am

I've been here a couple of months but haven't really made any foodie discoveries. I feel like I still know more about the dining scene in Osaka :oops:

Where do you go for a really good meal in Nagoya? Washoku for preference but every cuisine is good.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What's good to eat in Nagoya?

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:24 am

Sadly, "Nagoya cuisine" basically amounts to "deep fry it and put miso on it," but there is good food to be found!

For the real Nagoya experience, you have to go to Yamachan for chicken wings, although Furaibo (who Yamachan stole the recipe from) is a bit better in my book. Both are chains, and both are more noisy izakaya than nice meal with family, but still good stuff. For your fried pork with miso needs, the other Nagoya biggie is Yabaton.

Hitsumabushi is also big in Nagoya, and there are lots of restaurants that serve it (Maruya is a good reasonably-priced chain place), and in fact it's fairly hard to find a bad version, but I like Nishimoto near Morishita station. (I thought I hated eel until I had good hitsumabushi. Turns out the stuff you get from the supermarket is in fact pretty bad, and it's worth it to pay a little extra.)

Also misonikomi udon (or kishimen) - again, lots and lots of restaurants but Gyukoro near Shigahondori is real good. Right nearby is Okada Ramen for a really good bowl of Taiwan ramen (and also very very good fried chicken). (Both of these are in my neighborhood which is why they get a shoutout, heh.)

It's a chain restaurant across Japan, but I always like to recommend Ume no hana for a slightly fancy tofu-centric sit-down set meal.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:24 am
Sadly, "Nagoya cuisine" basically amounts to "deep fry it and put miso on it,"
I struggle to be sad about that. The miso was key to me agreeing to come here rather than try to talk my wife into Osaka :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely hit those up.

Any compulsory fine dining experiences? Our wedding anniversary is getting close 😅

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am

Depends on what you like and your budget. Ishiguro in Meieki is my favourite Sushi place - but the dinner course typically runs 10,000 - 12,000 per person + drinks (https://goo.gl/maps/QKXwPDQemTvkyeAx5)

The restaurant at the Nagoya Castle hotel is also good - although if you get teppanyaki you miss out on the view of the castle.

There are a couple of excellent steak places I've been to, but i'll have to go and check the names again.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Return to “Chubu”