The Duellists. 1977. Review.

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
ashmie
Wargod

The Duellists. 1977. Review.

Post by ashmie » Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 am

Worth a watch. Only just been introduced to this film by Lovejoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUUNrM_O ... re=related

Excellent stuff, costume, acting and music. They don't make them like a '77 film anymore. First class.
A must for anyone into historical.
I would put this in my top 5 of all time favourite films. I'm thinking of having it as a screening at the next Tsu Games Day. Each time they duel we have to pause what we are doing and study. :lol:

Review (a few spoilers):

I keep having further thoughts and impressions about the film.
I really liked the way the main character keeps trying to get shot of the duel and the ludicrousness of it all. Alas he keeps being pulled back to 'the game' time and time again. I felt a real affinity with this concept. Particularly when he marries in the country, becomes a royalist and settles down after the war. And then meets the footmen on his land, demanding further satisfaction for their master!
Unbelievable.
He then has to lie to his wife, tuck her in to bed and go out at dawn to duel in the woods! All so he can to be shot of the matter. It just really reminded me of the pains and efforts gamers go to get the day off from their respective better halves and families to partake in some ridiculous laddish rakishness. In this case, the duel, in our case 'the miniature battle'. I've felt a lot better since I've stopped wargaming so avidly back in February. But like the main character, or indeed Feraud I have that relentless urge to get satisfaction one more time.
The main character could have called it off at any point and admitted defeat but even then I don't think Feraud would have let him. Was the main character as addicted to the game as his nemesis?
Did Feraud have a death wish I wonder? It's never explained why he was so put out. Other than he was nearly arrested by the protagonist at the start of the film. And it's curious how Feraud turns the tables on the protagonist accusing him of treason against Napoleon.

This indeed one was film that finished quickly for me but I could have kept watching and watching. Never a dull moment.
Thanks so much mate.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Kansai”