Gentlemens code (and ladies)

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
ashmie
Wargod

Gentlemens code (and ladies)

Post by ashmie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 am

The Black Powder is my favourite game at the moment, I'm getting something from it a lot more than I ever got from other systems to be honest. I like the historical edge. One of the things that Black Powder stresses in it's outlook and philosophy of play is that it's a game of gentlemen. In the classical sense of course not in the modern sense. :)

I've had a bit of a think about the general atmosphere of gaming here in Aichi and Mie again and I must say I'm not overly keen on the backbiting. One of you remembered to thank me on the forums for putting the event on last Sunday and everyone else either kept shtum or used the timing as a chance to start a debacle. I was put off again by this as I had really enjoyed the day and believed others had too. I thought if it really was a gentlemanly game played by gents that kind of feedback or backbiting shouldn't be happening, at all or indeed on any level.

So once again, back to square one, a number of you have refused to play each other in future games recently. This is not a new thing and something that effects all gaming groups as everyone has their preferred style of play for sure. With this in mind though and the limited numbers here in Japan I'm thinking can't we just all get along for the sake of enjoying ourselves and the game?
I have no actual problem with any of the players in our group on a personal level and think we all have our own quirks, this adds to the game if anything. If only we could realise life is too short for squabble. Especially with the amount of time and money we put into the hobby.

Are we in favour of getting along and gentlemanly play?

All those in favour say Aye. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Gentlemens code (and ladies)

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:53 am

Aye :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:28 am

Aye. And thanks for all your hard work putting together last week's event. :lol: I should also thank Egor for teaching us Battlestar Galactica and Grim for showing me Magic: The Gathering.

I've personally encountered nothing but good sportsmanship in the handful of Fantasy and 40K games I've played over the past few months.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:37 am

Nay.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I am very much in favour of gentlemanly play, giving the other player a fun, fair, friendly game and being a good sport win or lose.

However, from time to time we will always find people whose style of play doesn't gel well with our own. In those cases it is probably better to agree to disagree and look elsewhere for games.

Yes, I am aware that in some ways this makes me sound like a jerk. But far better to avoid conflict at an event than provoke it I say. (The gentlemanly solution would be to slap the offender with a glove and challenge him to a duel, which raises a lot more problems). Essentially if my opponents, whomever they may be, can play the game with a smile on their face, a joke on their lips and a friendly attitude then there really isn't an issue.

Sorry if people disagree with my views, please feel free not to send me a lengthy rant about why I should change them for your benefit.

And Ash, you are right, I should have thanked you for organising the event and I'm sorry about that. Thank you very much for all your hard work and thank you for bringing the Mordheim board, that thing ways a tonne.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:57 am

Apologies for my rather short response earlier. I wanted to raise my voice to say aye but didn't have time to write a proper response. Basically, to expand a little *edit* (sorry - I mean a lot), I do agree completely with what Ash wrote. Also, my apologies for not saying thank you on the forums after the Tsu event. That was bad form, and I'm sorry for that. I should also thank kbear and dlord for being very sporting chaps in their warmachine game, and thanks for putting up with my sometimes inept understanding of the rules. (especially kbear - I'm pretty sure there's a rule in the warmachine book that says "cryx always win" but I just can't seem to find it. :cry: )

I would also echo ten's comment that by and large folks here are pretty gentlemanly, in person, at least. Online it's really easy to misinterpret someone's comment, and this is often compounded by the fact that we (I assume) mostly check the forums in the evening, after a (potentially) stressful day at work, followed by the sometimes equally stressful dealing-with-babies/kids time at home. Most days, of course, are fine, but logically some days, some of us are feeling a bit snarky, and it's on the forums that we tend to vent. In real life, however, we're all pretty gentlemanly, I think (and I include underdweller here, as she is the epitome of the well mannered gamer.)

So, I would say, as well as echoing Ash's comment about continuing to try to play in a gentlemanly fashion, we should also remember that we are actually a pretty good gaming group. We all have to travel pretty far to get a game in, and we are all pretty short of time, and yet we all make the effort to get together, play a few games of whatever, shoot the shit, and then go down the Izakaya afterwards. I reckon we're doing alright :)

*minor edit in light of Prim's post*
You have a point - there is no fun in playing against a twat. Occasionally, though, it can be a worthwhile exercise to play someone you used to disagree with, just to see if their attitude has changed. It happens, occasionally. Generally, though, I agree with what you're saying about there being no point making life difficult for yourself (and your opponent) by deliberately playing people you know you're likely to come into conflict with. Said games should be avoided in a polite and gentlemanly fashion, though (eg not "I refuse to play you cos you're a nob end", rather "sorry mate, I'm busy that day" or "I'm already lined up to play against MiJ" or whatever. Meh, y'all are big boys - you don't need me to tell you how to be polite. :)

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 am

Primarch wrote:Nay.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I am very much in favour of gentlemanly play, giving the other player a fun, fair, friendly game and being a good sport win or lose.

However, forcing myself to play against people who aggravate me through their own conduct at the table, just seems like a stressful way to approach things. Despite our limited numbers, finding a game isn't that difficult really, especially if you are willing to travel. Time is a far more limiting factor for ho often I play. I intend to enjoy my hobby time to it's fullest and ensure that my opponents can enjoy playing with me too. If that means I am a little more selective in my choice of opponent then so be it.

Yes, I am aware that in some ways this makes me sound like a jerk. But far better to avoid conflict at an event than provoke it I say. (The gentlemanly solution would be to slap the offender with a glove and challenge him to a duel, which raises a lot more problems). Essentially if my opponents, whomever they may be, can play the game with a smile on their face, a joke on their lips and a friendly attitude then there really isn't an issue.

Sorry if people disagree with my views, please feel free not to send me a lengthy rant about why I should change them for your benefit.

And Ash, you are right, I should have thanked you for organising the event and I'm sorry about that. Thank you very much for all your hard work and thank you for bringing the Mordheim board, that thing ways a tonne.
My thoughts exactly.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 am

@M_i_J - Yeah, it isn't very polite, but it avoids any ambiguity. If people prefer to keep coming up with excuses then that is really up to them. I for one prefer to make things very clear and the reasons why. If you keep making excuses the other person will never know what the reason is.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 am

Tbh, there are days when I agree completely with the Spev/Prim stance on gaming opponents, and days when I'm sufficiently optimistic to try a potentially troublesome game. Meh, I guess we all vary from day to day to a certain extent.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:24 am

Not sure what I am doin wrong I must be the biggest duche bag in the group. I can't ever get a game. I have my own apartment with all my game stuff in it I have heaps terrain and I buy lunch for folks that come and play.....What am I doing that folks don't want to play me. Prime is about the only one who plays me.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Not sure what I am doin wrong I must be the biggest duche bag in the group. I can't ever get a game. I have my own apartment with all my game stuff in it I have heaps terrain and I buy lunch for folks that come and play.....What am I doing that folks don't want to play me. Prime is about the only one who plays me.
I think it is the fact that many people work on Saturday and that you can't play on Sundays very often.

Return to “Kansai”