Remember when GW used to do stuff like this?

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
Konrad
Wargod

Re: Remember when GW used to do stuff like this?

Post by Konrad » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 am

Spevna wrote:
Primarch wrote:Actually, over on the GW home page there is a big article about them revamping WD from the ground up. Word on the street is that they are considerinh putting 'content' into it. :o :o

Im not going to hold my breath.

If they really want to impress me, they should bring back The Black Gobbo. That was a GREAT website.
That and Citadel Journal. Once the 'Doof became a sales catalouge the content got printed there. Compared to designing, machining and producing plastic models, writing the rules is (comparatively) something you do on your lunch break.
And these days lots of guys do just that.
I remember reading somewhere that Gary Gygax was quoted as saying, "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."
I personally don't care about the 'doof one way or another. Never bought one, even if they actual start putting rules back in it, I wouldn't. I'm not going to buy a whole magazine for 3 pages of printed matter. Don't need that much content. I'll be working on my current mini project for at least another month. I can't keep up with content as it is.
And it's expensive.
I believe the Spevna once said something about the price of an international subscription to WD is more than a subscription to Playboy. I mean, a guy has to have his priorities straight.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:17 am

Primarch wrote:Actually, over on the GW home page there is a big article about them revamping WD from the ground up. Word on the street is that they are considerinh putting 'content' into it. :o :o
Technically, of course, "pictures of miniatures" is content, so that's a measure of success they'll find pretty easy to meet.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 am

Taken from an analysis of the Ultra Marines (including background, structure AND actual stats for using Ultra Marine characters in your games).

This is not quite in keeping with current fluff :?
Attachments
Astro.jpg
Astro.jpg (122.47 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:23 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Technically, of course, "pictures of miniatures" is content, so that's a measure of success they'll find pretty easy to meet.
I have no shame in stating I buy it for the pictures.

White Dwarf, that is.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 am

I have no shame in stating I buy it for the pictures.

White Dwarf, that is.
Whereas Playboy is more for the articles? ;)

They do have nice pics in White Dwarf, but there lots of great pics on CMON.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 am

Indeed. And while I'll happily pay a sub for a CMoN membership, I seriously think the asking price of WD these days is mental. If nothing else, at least Chern Ann and co listen to their punters. (eg a while back they said they were going to change to a members sub that costs waaaaaay more than the current one, but gives you 10%off and free domestic shipping on anything from the C'MON store. Everybody on the forums said that was fine for Americans that shopped a lot, but what's bout everyone else? We just wanted to keep the cheap ($11 a year) sub that gave us our own space to store out favourites and other such online perks. Chern Ann duly responded by saying aye, ok, the masses have spoken. We'll keep the old style sub system and just add the new one on top for rich Americans. I'm sure it wasn't complicated, but at least he listened.WD, on the other hand, seems to almost disregard the existence of its readers, other than as sources of cash.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 am

me_in_japan wrote:Indeed. And while I'll happily pay a sub for a CMoN membership, I seriously think the asking price of WD these days is mental. If nothing else, at least Chern Ann and co listen to their punters. (eg a while back they said they were going to change to a members sub that costs waaaaaay more than the current one, but gives you 10%off and free domestic shipping on anything from the C'MON store. Everybody on the forums said that was fine for Americans that shopped a lot, but what's bout everyone else? We just wanted to keep the cheap ($11 a year) sub that gave us our own space to store out favourites and other such online perks. Chern Ann duly responded by saying aye, ok, the masses have spoken. We'll keep the old style sub system and just add the new one on top for rich Americans. I'm sure it wasn't complicated, but at least he listened.WD, on the other hand, seems to almost disregard the existence of its readers, other than as sources of cash.
Your comment about WD readers would imply that there is something in WD to actually read.*
I think the current editor is the same guy who writes lists for BoLS. He takes the latest models and copy/pastes them onto every page.

*Jervis occasionally writes an interesting article, but it's not worth the cover price by a long way.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Phoenix
Rookie

Post by Phoenix » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:12 am

I like to think GW is still this kind of company deep down, they are just going through an Imperial Darth Vader phase.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Waiting for leaks and sneaky info about new releases?

No need back in that day. Concept art was forthcoming.

Memories....like the corners of my mind.......
Attachments
Eldar.jpg
Eldar.jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Apparently theres a reason they dont show off concept art any more. That reason is scibor, Chapterhouse, and all their friends. Somebody posted a link a few days ago to a GD Australia blog. While Jes Goodwin was apparently a nice guy in all regards, he did specifically ask the blogger not to post photos of the concept sketches hed brought with him. Reason given: lots of little companies in poland. Likewise the FW team were quoted as saying they wanted to make all the weapon options for all their vehicles from now on, for the same reason. Much as I would like GW to post concept art, and even produce books of it (gothic and the Eldritch), I can sympathise with them not wanting to provide what amounts to a free design brief for their rivals.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Kansai”