edit: Painting vs game balance ratio

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
ashmie
Wargod

edit: Painting vs game balance ratio

Post by ashmie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 am

I worked out that I've had 5 games of Black Powder this year. 1 fantasy battle against Ten. 1 Mordheim and 1 Flames of War. And that's it!
No 40k as yet. Compared to previous years I'm pretty much semi retired.
Got in a game of Talisman at Spevnas and completed 2 rpg campaigns though which is something.
Lichemaster and Spawn of Azathoth.

Money where your mouth is. How many games have you had this year? Does it balance out with the amount you've bought and are working on.
Are there any games you collect and build for that you want to try but can't get near? Is there a game other than 40k that everyone plays?
Last edited by ashmie on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Hobby vs game balance ratio

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 am

But the game IS the hobby, at least for me. All the rest of it is just stuff I do to enable me to play the games. If there wasn't a game to play, I wouldn't have any interest in the rest of it aside from the occasional novel. Why does there need to be a differentiation of the two? :?

I honestly couldnt count how many games this year, but I have definitely spent more time/money on collecting, making and painting than I have on playing. Maybe one day that will change, but for now, gaming time is limited due to opportunity whereas the rest of it can be done anytime I can grab an hour or two.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 am

I haven't played nearly as much as I wanted to since NagoyaHammer, so I'm psyched about the next few weeks. A day of 40k in Ogaki, a game or two of Fantasy at Joshin, two more days of Fantasy and Mordheim at Orctoberfest, and then hopefully the Tsu event.

If I make a Mordheim warband for Orctoberfest, I'd like to play it regularly.

Regardless, I spend far more time painting stuff in my hobby room.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 am

I dunno, I've sort of come to realize that my hobby is really "preparing to play wargames" at least as much as it is "playing wargames".

(One of the problems with this kind of discussion is that, as Prim points out, "what the hobby is" is different for each of us. As it should be.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 am

But the game IS the hobby, at least for me. All the rest of it is just stuff I do to enable me to play the games. If there wasn't a game to play, I wouldn't haveBut the game IS the hobby, at least for me. All the rest of it is just stuff I do to enable me to play the games. If there wasn't a game to play, I wouldn't have any interest in the rest of it aside from the occasional novel. Why does there need to be a differentiation of the two? any interest in the rest of it aside from the occasional novel. Why does there need to be a differentiation of the two?
Oh I wasn't criticising or trying to split the two. I was just curious to see if people were similar to me in spending more time prepping and painting than playing. In fact it might be that I've done more playing games this year than prepping as I built the 4 armies I have in previous years. Too bad now I have them all ready to go and looking the mutts I have less chance to game. Such is life.
I definitely remember a time of playing so many systems and having an unpainted army for each. Couldn't see the wood for the trees. Luckily I'm over half done now I reckon. I haven't bought any armies since May with Pike and Shotte.
There are still a few Prussians left, command and casualty markets that kind of thing. Perhaps I'll go back to them after I finish my marines. Only a unit of scouts and Dev squad to go! Stay on target!
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Lovejoy
Legend

Re: edit: Painting vs game balance ratio

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:12 am

These days I can't even seem to find much time for painting, let alone gaming. I can see why some people give it up in favour of the convenience of console or computer based fun. Not the same though.

I'm great at ordering models and storing them in boxes in the cupboard though. :(
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 am

I have a similar conversation every time I get home and chat with my old gaming buddy Ian. We'll talk about RPGs (now "T" as in "traditional" RPGs) and the new ones that are out and speculate on how cool it would be to run such and such a campaign with such and such a system. None of these games will ever happen because we are all grown up and it's nigh impossible to get 4 or 5 folks together for an on going campaign. (Not to mention I live on the other side of the world.) But we can speculate. Speculative Roleplaying is about all we can do in that branch of the hobby. Board, card and miniatures are a lot easier to pick up an play with whoever managed to get free and down to the game room on any particular Sunday afternoon.
And yeah, I spend a lot more time painting than playing. I probably spend more time on the internet looking at and talking about game stuff than painting.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:07 am

Konrad, fear not. Feel free to join our game in January.
A full on fantasy roleplay campaign in 12 parts.
http://www.nagoyahammer.com/forum/viewt ... 931#p29931

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:46 am

I enjoy games above the hobby, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the hobby. I like the painting and conversions. It is fun to dress up and really build that affinity between yourself and the units you've built.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 am

ashmie wrote:Konrad, fear not. Feel free to join our game in January.
A full on fantasy roleplay campaign in 12 parts.
http://www.nagoyahammer.com/forum/viewt ... 931#p29931
Ah, I will happily speculate on what sort of character I would play if I had the time to get town to Tsu on a regular basis. Halfling Ratcatcher? Grim and dour one legged witch hunter? Delusional Ogre who thinks he's a Bretonian knight? Goblin pirate? hmmmmmm
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Kansai”