English education in Japan lets discuss.

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: English education in Japan lets discuss.

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Primarch wrote:
Admiral-Badruck wrote:As a man that has learned 5 languages I tell you that if the learner is dedicated to learning the language there is nothing that can stop them but if the don't want or need the language there is nothing you can do to help them.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I am not sure that this is actually true in practice. Everyone's brain is wired differently and some things which are easy for one person are incredibly difficult for another. For some students languages are very tough to learn, no matter how much they may want to.

Well it is actually true in practice :mrgreen: The human brain is hard wired to learn language. Learning second and third languages to a degree of proficiency is not equally easy for all learners for a variety of reasons. Disabilities such as blindness, hearing disorders, dyslexia, and speech impediment are surely going to have some effect on the learners ability to process language skills; notwithstanding, there are many ways in which the learner can compensate for disabilities. In my case I suffer from light dyslexia. For me reading is a very difficult and sometimes frustrating task. Writing is not as bad but in any case it takes me a lot of time to do either skill. So, how do I learn languages? I do so by focusing on my strengths (listening and speaking). I listen to audio books and podcast. I participate in drama, speech, and debate; as well as,studying something that interests me in the target language. Most importantly I search for opportunities to use the Language I am studying and I push myself in to positions that require a greater understanding of the language than I currently posses in order to avoid "fossilisation". Fossilisation is a linguistic term that is used to describe the phenomenon in which a learner becomes apathetic or pessimistic about his or her level of understanding of the target language. In most cases the this occurs once the learner can communicate sufficiently well enough to compleat the tasks he or she is required to do. If the learner is willing to put his or herself in to a situation that requires additional study then the learner will improve their language skills. :mrgreen: In general the Japanese people have all the English they will ever need; as such, they are for the most part fossilised. However if practical need increased in theory the level of ability would increase as well. 8-)
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Most importantly I search for opportunities to use the Language I am studying and I push myself in to positions that require a greater understanding of the language than I currently posses in order to avoid "fossilisation". Fossilisation is a linguistic term that is used to describe the phenomenon in which a learner becomes apathetic or pessimistic about his or her level of understanding of the target language. In most cases the this occurs once the learner can communicate sufficiently well enough to complete the tasks he or she is required to do.
Wow thanks Admiral, this is very helpful and intriguing. I would say my best studies of the Japanese language were the 6 months before I moved here. Maybe 2004-2006 I made a conscious effort and had a genuine interest in the language which quickly hit fossilisation once I could survive day to day in my work and home environment. I had another go in 2009-2010 but quickly became fossilised again after I noticed that every time I tried to use Japanese with someone they would return in English using it as a chance to practice their English rather than welcome my Japanese. Same with bowing and all Japanese customs really, my co workers preferred me not to adopt these things and just be myself it seems. A foreigner that knew all the social courtesies was a bit strange for them perhaps. Anyway just be yourself I guess.
Above all though I need to either shape up language wise or ship out as it's only going to cause more stress if I don't improve. Perhaps it's time to start studying language proficiency tests just so I have an aim for study if nothing more. I find it very hard to progress with free obachan volunteer studies. As sweet as they are it's not really intensive enough.

@Ten Thanks for the support mate. Cheers.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote: Fossilisation is a linguistic term that is used to describe the phenomenon in which a learner becomes apathetic or pessimistic about his or her level of understanding of the target language.
Not sure if this is connected, but 'fossilized errors' is when an error becomes a habit of speech in a second language learner. This happens especially when the error does not interfere with communication, and hence, the speaker does not get corrective feedback.

This has happened to me quite a lot with my Japanese. I really have to pay attention to my own mistakes! :( Ganbarimasu! :D

Regarding learning a language and individual difficulties, absolutely! We all learn differently and this is why all the text books emphasise contextualised multi-skilled and multi-approach activities to try and maximise the chance that any given learner will respond well to the target language in some form or another and increase the chance the language will be internalised. It really is interesting, language learning. I know my wife has an extraordinarily good ear for languages in that she can hear, internalise and use a phrase quite quickly though perhaps with a small mistake in pronunciation. She can even do this long after she first encountered the phrase for the first time. I on the other hand can repeat with very good pronunciation but will forget quickly unless I use the phrase myself soon after I have encountered it, in a very meaningful context.

Anyway, language learning is tough, no doubt! :D

Return to “Kansai”