English education in Japan lets discuss.

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Let's go job hunting

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 am

me_in_japan wrote:As did this. http://www.ef.co.uk/__/~/media/efcom/ep ... eet_en.pdf

I guess we may actually be doing something right after all :) That's somewhat heartening :) I still think the Center Test is the biggest barrier to improving Japanese education, though. As do most teachers I've spoken to (Japanese and non Japanese.)
As my job is essentially teaching English to working age students who left school with a limited range of speaking skills, I really appreciate the current education standards. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Re: English education in Japan lets discuss.

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am

I gave up looking for validation years ago. I do a good job because that's who I am, but if I needed to get something out of my job, I'd be in the wrong line of work. Some people love being an English teacher. Good for them. But this wasn't my chosen profession and thus it's just a pay check to me. Thus I look for passion and rewards elsewhere; hobbies and the like. I'm stuck here for the next nine years and I might as well cash in while my jail allows me the opportunity. Sooner or later the system might catch on and I'm a street walker.

And about the asian students in canada; I agree. I ran my own school in Canada for three years. the students that came for private classes were not getting taught well. I hate to say it but the system is still all about money. Milk the cash cow. Unless a student takes it upon himself or herself to buckle down and study, their English level will be barely improved by the time they return to their homelands.

Or ashmie, make a go of it on your own. Or branch out into a different line of work for a breather. While the options are limited, there are some still there.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 pm

As a man that has learned 5 languages I tell you that if the learner is dedicated to learning the language there is nothing that can stop them but if the don't want or need the language there is nothing you can do to help them.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:As a man that has learned 5 languages I tell you that if the learner is dedicated to learning the language there is nothing that can stop them but if the don't want or need the language there is nothing you can do to help them.
Yep. One eikaiwa lesson a week isn't enough. But add to that lots of extra study done in their free time and anything is possible. There really isn't any necessity here when it comes to learning how to converse in English.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:As a man that has learned 5 languages I tell you that if the learner is dedicated to learning the language there is nothing that can stop them but if the don't want or need the language there is nothing you can do to help them.
Y'know admiral, you're a chap who upon occasion unleashes a pearl of wisdom from thy keyboard, and that, sir, is a particularly shiny one. I'd put it in my sig if it would fit. Well said! :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I spent a couple of hours at work sorting out reports for the office. One thing that I did notice was that the standard of English Teachers in Japan isn't all that good either. I found 8 spelling errors in 1 A4 report alone today. One would think that if you were submitting typed reports then you would take the time to at least click the Spell Check option and proof read it before you sent it. :?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:49 pm

With many individuals the perceived need is not realised until the implications of not being able to communicate with speakers of another language affects them directly. This is not surprising, naturally, but it is a situation that IF Japan believes is holding back the development of their economy and culture, could be handled more effectively by the policy makers, the media, parents, and the education system. Most of my customers are those who thought it would be possible to enter the global market with an unawareness of the challenges involved, most notably the language issues. The bubble has burst and the truth is that there are a lot more players out there now who are selling the same goods, with the same or better quality, at cheaper prices. If a company is not willing to take equal responsibility for effective communication then it is going to have major difficulties and conflict in the long run.

Some of the big players in Japan are making small steps, such as increasing the TOEIC score required for freshman staff. Arguably not the right step, but a step nonetheless. I would argue, however, that a much more effective solution is to begin to change the stigma currently associated with English and foster a new, more sincere, more honest and more unified outlook.

You may be interested to know that due to major communication and culture problems with Boeing, the three big Japanese companies involved in the 787 project, KHI, MHI and FHI, along with Boeing, set up a completely new company in Seattle with the sole purpose of fixing the tensions that had arisen.

Just my ten cents (NZ no longer has 2 or 5 cent coins ;) )

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 am

Great outlook and discussion guys. We should run this as a google hangout live sometime. I've been hosting those recently. We had one on sci-fi the other day. Robots, androids and cyborgs debate.
http://youtu.be/0yf2Ax7kprE
Just because I'm working from a set syllabus or cramming students full of answers for a test doesn't mean I can't find a way as an individual to make that even a tiny bit interesting for them. As Admiral says it's up to the learner also. I won't give up on teaching just yet.

My new outlook is this: I do the work I NEED to to do in order to help me do the work I WANT to do do. :)
Thanks again for your support on this folks. ;)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 am

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I am not sure that this is actually true in practice. Everyone's brain is wired differently and some things which are easy for one person are incredibly difficult for another. For some students languages are very tough to learn, no matter how much they may want to.

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 am

ashmie wrote: My new outlook is this: I do the work I NEED to to do in order to help me do the work I WANT to do do. :)
Thanks again for your support on this folks. ;)
If I put in my five cents (Canada just ditched the penny two weeks ago), it would be that you will always have students that don't want to learn X or don't need to learn X. That even goes for college and most adults in eikaiwa classes who naively hope that paying the lesson fee and showing up once a week will serve to substitute for hard work and self-motivation. But a good teacher will be there for the rare child who is truly motivated to learn and just needs guidance and encouragement from a master.

On the other matter, don't let the bad weeks make you forget that you've been a real pillar in the Mie gaming and RPG-ing community. Being able to get out of town for a day now and then and do geeky stuff has been good for my own sanity. :D

Return to “Kansai”