Job hunting. Ear to the ground.

For people living in the Kansai region of Japan
ashmie
Wargod

Job hunting. Ear to the ground.

Post by ashmie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 am

Found a job that I wanted. Thank you to everyone who helped.
Please use this thread for other further job searches.

Cheers.

Ash. ;
Last edited by ashmie on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Job hunting. Ears to the ground.

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am

I've asked around my (very limited) contacts, but so far no joy. Not to worry, though, as "my contacts" ain't so many folks. I'll keep asking, though :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 am

You know about gaijinpot, right?
By the way, are you just looking for work in/near Tsu, or further afield.

P.S, No, not that kind of pot :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Cheers Mike and Dave. Yeah I've been living on the job forums this past week. I've for a few interviews lined up. It's either for more Alt work or Eikaiwa. Trying to work out which are the lesser of the two evils.
There's lots of business jobs further afield. That would mean being the single father in Tokyo routine though. Hmmm.
.......working............
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Spev gave me some wise words a while back, which I shall duly pass on to you. He refers to country rather than city, but the principle applies regardless.

"At the end of the day, a job beats no job, and a bad job in the same country as your wife and kid trumps a good job in another country."

Just my (and his, I guess) two cents - if they don't suit, then by all means ignore em. :)

ps - glad to hear youve got some interviews lined up. I appreciate that eikawa or alt may not be ideal, but you can always continue the job search after you get one of those and try and find something better at a later date, yeah?

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 am

I'll try to inform you of any positions I hear, Ash. I don't hear much, but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for anything that springs up.

I also recommend Gaijin pot.

Hopefully you find something in the Mie-area. Combing the area will surely bring up something. Maybe knocking on the doors of language schools in the area will set you up with someone who needs someone or someone who knows someone who needs someone.

Oh course, spreading out and considering jobs in the Nagoya area would bring you closer to the gaming community (in Aichi). :D Maybe you could even move up to around here.

Best of luck and regards to your family.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 am

ashmie wrote:Cheers Mike and Dave. Yeah I've been living on the job forums this past week. I've for a few interviews lined up. It's either for more Alt work or Eikaiwa. Trying to work out which are the lesser of the two evils.
There's lots of business jobs further afield. That would mean being the single father in Tokyo routine though. Hmmm.
.......working............
No ALT/Eikaiwa gig would pay enough for you to support two households, even if you were living in a cardboard box under a bridge.
Having to move for a job is bad too. Costs at least 50-man to move. If you're company loses the contract the next year, you are back where you started, just poorer.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

No ALT/Eikaiwa gig would pay enough for you to support two households, even if you were living in a cardboard box under a bridge.
Having to move for a job is bad too. Costs at least 50-man to move. If you're company loses the contract the next year, you are back where you started, just poorer.
That is very true. I'm going to have to work locally and take two jobs I reckon. Full time and a bit of part time.
Right, that's my plan until something else occurs. Hard working Daddy here on in.
Once I've got my main job sorted I will start a hobby store online. Not only selling to Japan but worldwide as well. Let me know if you have anything to order and trade. It will probably be all manner of games. Rare RPG supplements, minis etc. There's no money in it really but I'll have a think. Ichiban painting always seems to be busy with his painting service. I'll have a think. I may be calling on some of you to paint commissions if you have time. E bay stores used to be the way to go but they take a cut now. I'll probably start a paypal store of my own. If you have anything you want to sell let me know I'll buy it from you.
Red table painting. lol :
That's my dream job. My other sideline is studying Japanese seriously and getting a car license. That's bound to widen the options. Thanks guys. Much appreciated help all round on here. Let's stick together and help each other. Thanks for being there.

@MiJ. Regarding Mus' advice. Pure gold! There is master Yoda and then there is Mus! Rock n Roll I'm taking that nugget of advice.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 am

@ All: Thanks for all your help with finding work. I've got one more interview tomorrow. I'm trying to decide which job to take. More alt work with a 3 year contract but with insurance/pension. 2 year contract with local international kindergarten all English speaking. Or eikaiwa work in Nagoya. The alt work requires travel the kindergarten is 20 minutes by bike. I want to take your advice and get a masters and car license improve Japanese etc. Which is the lesser of two evils for now? My last alt job caused me a lot of stress with 5 different schools and hard work teachers but the money was good.

Feel free to use this thread to advertise jobs or ask around about jobs seeing as April is coming up. Thanks everyone.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Job hunting. Ear to the ground.

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Tricky question. I'd say to weigh up, in no particular order:

Salary, including benefits like pension, insurance etc.
Holiday time, both in terms of days off and hours worked per day
Likelihood of contract extension
Affinity for the job itself (ie do you think the work would be fun, tolerable, or heinous)

At the mo I reckon the pros and cons break down as:

Kindergarten : pro - it's local. Don't knock a short commute. Con - depends on how you feel about teaching chibis.
Alt work : pros - pension, insurance. You've done it before, so less learning curve. Con - you've done it before.
Eikawa : pro - none, that I can see. Con - it's in nagoya. That's a bitching commute every day, unless the whole family wants to move oop nawth?

Return to “Kansai”