Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Chapter House ruling

Post by Primarch » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 am

Spevna wrote:A rose by any other name....
And because the Simpsons has an appropriate comment for every situation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64gaPGBqhHg
:D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:32 am

Exactly. :D

Considering the derisive use of "Space elves" by marine players, it's going to be hard on Eldar enthusists. :D But I might have to order something from CH out of congratulations on sticking it to GW.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:56 am

As much as I dislike GW (and it should be fairly clear from past posts how I feel about em), I dislike chapter house even more. Jut cos GW are asshats about pricing policy and wallet gouging doesn't make it ok to freeride on their creative ideas and use their iconography and specific names-of-species. I don't mean this from a legal standpoint, just from a moral one. It just...feels dishonest and sneaky, to my mind. Perhaps a better word is "parasitic".
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:00 am

me_in_japan wrote:. It just...feels dishonest and sneaky, to my mind.

As sneaky and dishonest as making your own moulds from GW stuff and casting up multiple copies? ;)
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 am

Self-recasting is done (generally) to save money or to reproduce models which are no longer available. What chapterhouse are doing is purely for profit. They're also trying to claim the moral high ground, and are taking the stance that they are somehow helping the gaming public. Their models are of a much lower sculpting standard that GW (whether you like em or not isn't the question - viewed from an objective technical perspective they are inferior) and their items are often passed off on eBay as GW models, thereby damaging GWs reputation and generally lowering the aesthetic standards of the hobby (which it does have. It's more important to some than others, but that's a personal opinion thing.)

I don't think recasting for personal use and setting up a business to sell inferior rip-offs to people is the same thing at all. It's the difference between copying your mate's CD for yourself at home, and forming a band, calling yourselves The Beatles and recording a CD of poorly played Beatles songs. Then selling it to people. Technically both are illegal, but one is far worse than the other.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 am

I have to say chapter house is a poor second to most GW stuff so why does anyone including GW care. :mrgreen: I do not see anyone getting after krumlek for there ork knock offs
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:02 am

me_in_japan wrote:Self-recasting is done (generally) to save money or to reproduce models which are no longer available. What chapterhouse are doing is purely for profit. They're also trying to claim the moral high ground, and are taking the stance that they are somehow helping the gaming public. Their models are of a much lower sculpting standard that GW (whether you like em or not isn't the question - viewed from an objective technical perspective they are inferior) and their items are often passed off on eBay as GW models, thereby damaging GWs reputation and generally lowering the aesthetic standards of the hobby (which it does have. It's more important to some than others, but that's a personal opinion thing.)

I don't think recasting for personal use and setting up a business to sell inferior rip-offs to people is the same thing at all. It's the difference between copying your mate's CD for yourself at home, and forming a band, calling yourselves The Beatles and recording a CD of poorly played Beatles songs. Then selling it to people. Technically both are illegal, but one is far worse than the other.

I would agree with you in regards to recasting, definitely. Personal use vs profit is a no brainer. But for the majority of what CH has made, I don't really see a problem. You need a GW kit to use most of what they make..
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 am

Spevna wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:Self-recasting is done (generally) to save money or to reproduce models which are no longer available. What chapterhouse are doing is purely for profit. They're also trying to claim the moral high ground, and are taking the stance that they are somehow helping the gaming public. Their models are of a much lower sculpting standard that GW (whether you like em or not isn't the question - viewed from an objective technical perspective they are inferior) and their items are often passed off on eBay as GW models, thereby damaging GWs reputation and generally lowering the aesthetic standards of the hobby (which it does have. It's more important to some than others, but that's a personal opinion thing.)

I would agree with you in regards to recasting, definitely. Personal use vs profit is a no brainer. But for the majority of what CH has made, I don't really see a problem. You need a GW kit to use most of what they make..
I never get Chapterhouse. They seemed to make inferior copies of GW stuff at pretty much GW prices. And then they acted like, "Yeah, yeah, we are fighting the man!"
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 am

What is with the CH hate? They are just a 3rd party supplier and most of the stuff is not made by GW, and the prices are definitly not the same as GW.

Kromlech is Polish, so GW C&D's are landed on Deaf ears.
If GW sold bits again and weren't so expensive, there would be less 3rd party suppliers.

Return to “Kansai”