NagoyaHammer 2020 - May 9th & 10th

Details of upcoming NagoyaHammer events
Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer 2020 - May 9th & 10th

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:42 am

Roll up, roll up. The greatest two days of gaming in the NagoyaHammer calendar will be taking place at the NTK Hall in Kanayama on May 9th (Sat) and May 10th (Sun) 2020.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of this most noteworthy of events. As is traditional, we will have one full day set aside for Warhammer 40,000 and one day for other games. In addition, there will undoubtedly be a Beer-Hammer on the Saturday evening to allow our champions to celebrate their victories and for the vanquished to dull the pain of defeat.

Nothing has been set in stone yet except for the date of the event, (We were lucky to get these two days to be honest, there were schedule clashes nearly every weekend and it was just the luck of the draw that I got priority during the scheduling process), so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

I have a few rough targets for this event:
For everyone to have fun. (Obviously).
To encourage the creative aspect of our hobby.
To allow new players to come along and participate, particularly from the Japanese gaming community.
To showcase the best parts of our hobby and to play games of the highest quality possible.

To that end, I'm thinking to add a stipulation to the event.
Anything that goes on the table, be it a model, terrain or an objective marker must be fully painted and based. No bare plastic, shiny metal or unpainted mdf. NagoyaHammer is the premier event in our local gaming calendar, so perhaps we should treat it as such? I'm not trying to paint-shame anybody. Your own standard of painting is fine, no matter where you fall on the scale. (I'm clearly not in a position to judge other people's brushwork), but with a 7 month lead time, I think everyone can apply some paint to their minis if need be.

I'm tempted to hold a painting contest again, but with maybe just a couple of categories. Perhaps best Single Mini, best Unit and best Terrain Piece?

I'd like to ask for some volunteers to help out with certain things:
As I don't play 40K and have no idea about the current FAQ's, updates and supplements, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could organize some missions and points levels for the 40K day. We could just use the standard battles from the rulebook, but planned scenarios seem better.
As ever, I (or more accurately my terrain) could use a ride to the venue.
Some 'Ambassadors' to the wider gaming community would help. If you know gamers/groups who don't frequent these boards, please tell them about the event, pass on information and generally encourage people to come along and play. On a similar note, the more bilingual we can make things, the better.
And finally, if people want to offer demo games of something in their collection, be it a GW game like Blood Bowl, Kill Team or Warcry, or something unrelated like Frostgrave, Bolt Action or Malifaux, please let me know and I'll make sure you have space and time to do so. If I can, I will do my best to support you with terrain and minis.

And finally, as this is the 10th anniversary, I'm thinking to organize some prizes and gifts for participants. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

So there you have it folks. NH2020 is booked, please feel free to comment below.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: NagoyaHammer 2020 - May 9th & 10th

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 am

Pencilled in! Thanks as always for organization.

While I'd be provisionally interested in helping organize 40K, if I can only come one day (which is TBH pretty likely) I'd probably prefer to organize WarCry or Underworlds or Kill Team or something on the free-play day.

I can certainly help with outreach, although if I might make a suggestion some kind of NagoyaHammer event "landing page" separate from the forums, with event signup and such, while non-trivial to set up, would probably go a very long way towards making it easier to market the event to people who don't use the forums (and it's pretty easy to do online ticketing and payment too, which - and this is just from my experience running the event for a single year - would have made last year's event about 1000% less stressful for me, heh). I could even look into it if you like.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am

A 'landing page' sounds like a good idea. (No idea about how to set one up though).
I'm not so hot on the idea of online ticketing and payment. Sitting on other people's money for any length of time seems like it opens you up to a few liabilities. E.g. If the event is cancelled, someone asks for a refund, etc. It is slightly more hassle to collect money on the day, but I think it avoids quite a few other issues. Also, no paper trail for the tax-man. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 am

Fair points - and the site that, for example, the Underworlds tourney in Osaka used takes 5% plus 100 yen per ticket sold.

It's called peatix, by the way, and you can set up events pages and even do no-cost-ticket ticketing for no charge (to make people feel they've made a commitment / get a general head count). Might be something to look in to - set up a nice bilingual event page with the schedule and venue and sign-ups, and just spam the link to it here, on Facebook, or wherever else.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:52 am

I'd be happy to help organize the 40k event since I'm pretty up-to-date on the the current updates and state of the game.
Although I would appreciate some advice from you guys since I'm relatively new to all this.
I'd also be happy to work on making the event more bilingual as well as trying to get more people to participate.
An event page would certainly help as it'll give people something to bookmark and share.

A painting contest as well as prizes for maybe the tournament(s) and the painting contest sounds pretty good too.
And even though most of my stuff is grey plastic I completely agree with setting a fully painted limitation on at least the tournament(s).

Also, on a slightly different note, I've been working on making my own miniatures game and if I make enough progress by then I would like to demo it at the event if that's alright. (I'm not making any actual miniatures but mostly using generic miniatures from Japanese brands such as Tamiya and Bandai.)

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:13 am

I also made a test page on Peatix.
Its a private event so it should ask you for a password (test).

https://nh2020test.peatix.com/view

Anyway if having both English and Japanese on the same page is alright it should work, although people need to log in with either Facebook, Twitter, or Google if they don't register on the website itself. I'm not sure if the hassle will put some people off. Although since a lot of Japanese miniature gamers use Twitter hopefully people don't mind too much.
Last edited by Karantu on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm

I’ll be penciling in the 9th. The 10th is basically a no go with my position. I’ll also likely be in Tokyo by this time, but I’ll make a point to attend at least one day.

And hopefully I’ve done some gaming in Tokyo in April. Maybe I can spread word about the event among the Tokyoites.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Way too far ahead for me to know if I can make it, but I'd certainly be interested in helping out/demoing with Kill Team/Warcry/Underworlds on the free play day.

And I guess I'm making a real 40K army after all :shock:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Karantu wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:13 am
I also made a test page on Peatix.
Its a private event so it should ask you for a password (test).

https://nh2020test.peatix.com/view

Anyway if having both english and Japanese on the same page it should work, although people need to log in with either Facebook, Twitter, or Google if they don't register on the website itself. I'm not sure if the hassle will put some people off. Although since a lot of Japanese miniature gamers use Twitter hopefully people don't mind too much.
Thanks! That definitely looks useful. I'll have a play around with it when I have time.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 am

You know I'm in!

A painting contest would be great. Always nice to step back and take a good look at everyone's toys. During the game you are too busy shooting them to say, "Hey. I like the NMM on those Terminators."

I am a big fan of team-play for the 40K tournaments. For purely selfish reasons mostly. My collection is pretty non-competitive and I need reinforcements. And I usually need someone who actually knows the rules to remind me not to skip the shooting phase. That and playing doubles seems to make things more relaxed and friendly. Not that Naghammer is anything but.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “NagoyaHammer Events - 名古屋八ンマーイベント”