NagoyaHammer 2020 - May 9th - Planning the 40K Day.

Details of upcoming NagoyaHammer events
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: NagoyaHammer 2020 - May 9th - Planning the 40K Day.

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:09 pm

I think the doubles is a great idea for fun and camaraderie, but I think it will be slower than the equivalent points 1v1 (at least based on Kill Team experience, and being slower would be partially the point if we want good banter and chatter :)

40K is also fighting you a bit because the CP is a little feast or famine, AFAIK there's nothing smaller than a Battallion that gives more than 1 CP and those all require you to have three lots of elites or heavy attack or fast attack or whatever so they're fairly skewed in their own right. Since a lot of upgrades seem to cost CP these days rather than points you might be less not able to spam your strategems and more not able to afford them!

(So clearly we should run Kill Team Battle Brothers instead so the games are quicker and the Tyranid players can eat their allies' corpses to heal wounds 😅)

Agree with Karantu that 750 might be the sweet spot. I think a single 1500 list will be significantly more optimised than two 750s, but the latter would have more CP. Two lots of 8cp vs probably 9cp? Even if the 1500 list went double batallion it would be a lot closer to the two 750s as a result, and with only 13cp to their 16.

Might be worth trying out a 1500 vs 2x750 game at a monthly games day (or whatever looks like being the preferred format) and see how it shakes out?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:09 pm

Might be worth trying out a 1500 vs 2x750 game at a monthly games day (or whatever looks like being the preferred format) and see how it shakes out?
good idea, that.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm a big fan of duo games in basically any game ever.
Personally I just think they're more fun, add more dynamics, and give you more people to hang out with.

I'm not super concerned about CP just because I feel like most lists will have very little CP to work with anyways. If everyone is working with the same limited resources it shouldn't be too much of a problem. No one really seems like they're super competitive, trying to maximize the potency of every point in their list. Plus I have to agree with Primarch here in that it makes rolls seem more significant when they can't be re-rolled lightly. And if we have smaller forces we probably won't need to be popping a ton of different stratagems anyways. I hope it can be fair ENOUGH for all factions.

And I'm super game to test a duo 500pt or 750pt game when the time comes. :mrgreen:
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:07 am

I am not up enough on 40K rules right now to have any opinion on how long or how balanced certain points numbers would be.

I would prefer a team game, because it sounds like a good way to hang out and catch up with everyone. Either 2/500 or 2/750 sounds good to me.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am

I seem to remember back in the day of yore, we did a "Bring a 750 and and 1500 pt list" format, when there was a situation that you were the odd man out in the draw, you'd play your 1500 pt list.
We''ve also done it where we picked our partners, built our lists in tandem and in seeeeeecrt, really early and got in a lot of constructive trash talk done before the big game. :mrgreen:
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am

The Underdweller wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:07 am
I am not up enough on 40K rules right now to have any opinion on how long or how balanced certain points numbers would be.

I would prefer a team game, because it sounds like a good way to hang out and catch up with everyone. Either 2/500 or 2/750 sounds good to me.
I am in line with this thinking :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm

I like the idea of buddying up before the games and planning lists together. That made for a very fun experience last time we did it, and also for more balanced games, as armies had less chance of being paired with something that just didnt work for them. And no, randomness does not equal fun...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:55 am

A question for those who probably understand the rules better than I do:

Can I take a single unit of corsair Skyreavers and call it a detachment, and still have my army be battle forged? I mean, if I have 1 Battalion of Ynnari with an HQ (say, Yvraine) to make it Ynnari, then fill up the other necessaries with Eldar/Dark Eldar/ Harleys, and also have 1 Patrol detachment made up of a single unit of Skyreavers, do the Ynnari still get 5CP for the battalion and get their Reclaim The Galaxy rule?

Just wondering.

reference: 40k rulebook, White Dwarf May 2019, IA:Index Xenos, IA:Index Xenos FAQ Sept 2019, Aeldari Codex, Drukhari Codex, Harlequin Codex. And their FAQs, probably, but I kinda gave up at that point... :roll:

ps. this is a typical day in the life of an eldar player. Feel my pain, brethren, feel it :shock:

*edit* After re-reading the Ynnari rules, it seems that it's very, very difficult to have a mixed force. Which seems really counter productive, since the whole point of Ynnari is mixing the eldar? I'd appreciate people's input on this, but as I understand it, if I want a mixed force, I'd basically have to choose an entire detachment of Crafties, a detachment of Dark Eldar, a detachment of Harleys and the aforementioned tiny detachment of Corsairs. And then have each one led by Yvraine, the Visarch, and the Yncarne. Which is quite the tax, and pretty much impossible at any reasonable points value.

So, is that right? Can the Ynnari only exist as a mixed-race faction at really high points values? Or am I misunderstanding?

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm
I like the idea of buddying up before the games and planning lists together. That made for a very fun experience last time we did it, and also for more balanced games, as armies had less chance of being paired with something that just didnt work for them. And no, randomness does not equal fun...
And trash talking the Panzeez before da big show iz alwayz gud fun. :mrgreen:
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Konrad wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 pm
me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm
And trash talking the Panzeez before da big show iz alwayz gud fun. :mrgreen:
and this year I'm even (strongly) considering bringing twinkle pixies! With spangly diamonds and eeeeeverything!

And they'll chop the faces off yer stinkin' orkses, too, all the while leaping merrilly and quipping. Quipping, I say!

Anyway, back to the point in question: Can I do a mixed force or not? My paintbrushes are waiting!

Return to “NagoyaHammer Events - 名古屋八ンマーイベント”