NagoyaHammer 2020 Underworlds Tournament

Details of upcoming NagoyaHammer events
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

NagoyaHammer 2020 Underworlds Tournament

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 am

Hi all,

I've lined up prize support and figured out tickets and such, so here's the official announcement that I'll be running an Underworlds tournament on May 10th at NagoyaHammer this year.

I will be asking people to buy tickets on peatix, partly to give a sense of commitment and partly to help me with cash flow in the aforementioned lining up of prize support. The event page is here: https://nagoyahammerunderworlds2020.peatix.com/view and you can get a ticket and pay for it there. I'm afraid I am asking for 500 yen on top of the event fee (for a total of 3000 yen), but again, prize support. Basically the way it works is, you'll buy a ticket from me online and I'll pay Prim in cash for all the attendees on the day. If you're coming both days you can pay Prim for day 1 in cash and I'll pay for you for day 2 from the ticket proceeds.

In bold so there's no confusion: YOU NEED TO BUY A TICKET AT THE LINK ABOVE TO TAKE PART!

Repeating the event intro and rules from the event page:

As part of the annual NagoyaHammer gaming event in Nagoya on May 9th and 10th 2020, we will be running our first Warhammer Underworlds tournament! It will be on the second day, May 10th - we hope to see a lot of people there!

Basic rules:
  • The tournament will be four rounds, with each round a best of three games match as per the Warhammer Underworlds rulebook.
  • Matchups for the first round will be random, after which a Swiss pairing system will be used, ranking by number of wins, then number of losses, then net glory scored.
  • If there are an odd number of participants, the event organizer will play in the tournament, but will not be eligible for any discretionary prizes made available.
What you need to bring:
  • A single warband and legal deck
  • Two double-sided boards
  • A set of dice
  • Tokens and objective counters 1-5
Cost of entry: 3000 yen, to cover the venue fees and prize support. If you also take part in the NagoyaHammer 2020 Warhammer 40,000 participation day on May 9th (see this link for details), it will cost an additional 2000 yen, payable to the event organizer at the door.

Schedule
9:00-10:00am: Doors open, registration and setup
10:00am-11:30pm: Round 1
11:30pm-1:00pm: Lunch
1:00pm-2:30pm: Round 2
2:45pm-4:15pm: Round 3
4:30pm-6:00pm: Round 4
6:00pm-6:30pm: Awards and Prizes, Closing Remarks

Prizes
We will have a 2020 Warhammer Underworlds Organized Play pack with a trophy for the winner and tokens and alternate-art cards for participants. Additional prize support may be available at the discretion of the event organizer.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: NagoyaHammer 2020 Underworlds Tournament

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:00 pm

bought my ticket today :) Also booked my hotel for the saturday night. I swear that shit gets more expensive every year! I should host a bloomin event down here in Tsu so all y'all can spend yer hard earned on train fares, hotels and attendance tickets! It'll be bread and water for me for the next few months, I tellz yers... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Looking forwards to it, though :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:46 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:00 pm
I should host a bloomin event down here in Tsu so all y'all can spend yer hard earned on train fares, hotels and attendance tickets!
Hey, I'd go! :D Thanks for signing up!
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:25 am

Just on the off chance anyone is on the fence, but put off by the "tournament" thing - please don't be! Part of what I love about this game, that I've seen time and time again in a number of different contexts of play, is that a) because it is a tightly-designed game, a lot of the stresses and potential for un-fun experiences that I, at least, associate with the unpleasant side of tournament play don't really have a chance to come through - it's very very hard to abuse the rules - and b) the Swiss matchup system means that after the first game you're basically guaranteed to be playing up against someone more-or-less as good at the game as you are. And I've definitely seen how a new player with an unoptimized deck can hold their own against and even beat an experienced player with a "tuned" deck.

Also, of course, if anyone is interested in Underworlds and wants to try the game out between now and May, just let me know - I'm always ready to set up a demo.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:36 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:25 am
And I've definitely seen how a new player with an unoptimized deck can hold their own against and even beat an experienced player with a "tuned" deck.
I've been on both sides of that equation ^_^

Signed up, I promise to bring the most ruthless deck and the most bumbling, cursed dice I can.

Champi
Rookie

Post by Champi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:12 am

Just got my ticket today, and also logged in in the forum for the first time in... many many years hehe.
The tournament will be a lot of fun, I'm sure. Thanks Dave for organizing!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it - hopefully relative proximity to Tokyo will let us pull a few more people in. That reminds me I need to look into getting a good translation of the peatix page into Japanese...
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 am

A bump for this to remind folks that it's happening. :D