Necromunda 2017

Discuss your games in the Underhive here.
Konrad
Wargod

Necromunda 2017

Post by Konrad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Any of you lot keen to try the new Necro? I know I am.
Some madman going by Aarhun on Reddit transcribed the whole thing into a PDF and posted it here. Apparently translating it from French while he did it. It looks like he added the Scenario rules since I looked last, so you could get playing with just this. I think all that is missing is the Tactics cards and I don't know how important they are.

https://www.reddit.com/r/necromunda/com ... _rules_fr/

It's full of typos, but according to the reviews so is the real deal......... Here is a good review I spotted on 3++.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2017/12/necrom ... -bad-ugly/

I'm sort of waiting until the general community geek hive-mind comes up with some house-rule fixes or GW comes out with a FAQ and Errata before diving right in. That and it's still winter and I'm still in my Frostgrave mood. Come February-March I say we get a Turf-War rolling!

And of course I am already doodling Gorkamorka/Ash-Waste/Necro2017 roolz on the backs of old worksheets between classes..........
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Necromunda 2017

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 am

Some sort of SF skirmish, yeah I'm interested. The new Necromunda specifically, no, not really all that bothered. The minis are nice, but out of scale with everything else and the contents of the box set look uninspiring compared to the cardstock/plastic terrain in the old Necromunda set. The 3++ review of the rules hasn't done much to warm me to them either. So GW won't be getting any of my cash this time.

The previous version was workable, but had some pretty major flaws in terms of missions and so forth. I remember several times I spent longer on setting up the table than I did playing. The mission mentioned in the 3++ review being of particular note (and the last game I played) when Konrad's gang turned up, blew up my water pump with a plasma gun, mowed down my two sentries and legged it. The only dice I rolled were in the post game sequence.

I like the imagery of Necromunda, but one thing I found when playing was that the terrain usually didn't match said imagery and there was rarely a reason to use it. Most games involved walking around at ground level because the gantries were too dangerous if you fell. Plus we'd usually have a table with a couple of buildings and a couple of walkways to nowhere.

My final criticism isn't about Necromunda so much as it is about games of that type. Too often we all plan to play games and never quite get around to doing so. Campaigns fizzle after a single day of gaming. How many times have people played Shadow Wars: Armageddon since last NagoyaHammer when it was the hottest thing around? I know I tend to fall into this trap too.

So for me to get back into Necromunda I'd need to see a few things that the new version seems to lack, to wit:
A tighter set of rules that doesn't try to achieve balance through cripplingly difficult missions.
More/better vertical terrain. (Konrad's home made gantries are a good example)
A reason to use it.
A commitment from a significant portion of our group to play a campaign for a few months without dropping it after one game to play the next flavour of the month.

If we could get some sort of community terrain building program going on, it would be awesome to play on a proper Necromunda table full of walkways, chasms, pipes of sewage and effluent, rickety bridges, improbable architecture and sprawling shanty towns.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 pm

I’m quite intrigued...I missed out on the game first time around (I had gotten out of gaming at the time). I’m keeping an eye on it, and if there were a few adopters I probably would pick up something for it. The box is shiny, and the new models seem to very cleverly put together in terms of options etc. Neither faction is quite up my alley I don’t think, but I’m keen to see Van Saar, Cawdor etc. Then we’ll see.
Mind you, I do have Dredd, which I will keep playing (Mus and I discussed running an Apocalypse War game next year), so whether I need to jump on board another sci fi skirmisher remains to be seen. And it’s not like I get out more than once in a blue moon at present anyway. Shadow War Armageddon is still languishing on the shelf too.
But, yeah. That said, interest still piqued.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 am

I could be interested. I mean, I am interested, but am a bit afraid to commit because Nagoya is kinda far away and if I get the option to game elsewhere it tends to get preferential treatment. Anyway - put me down as a "probably". As long as I can get hold of a rulebook (digital or otherwise), as I dont have any interest in buying a box full of minis I already have (what is in the box, anyway? Terrain? Tiles? Are they necessary or is a tabletop ok? Howsit work, then?) Anyway. That's my current state of thinking.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 am

I got Necromunda: Gang War 2 supplement yesterday. Now I am kinda hype with Hive Prime.
Still three houses are waiting for their turns for full-fledged rules and new models. I think we can start to learn the new rules and try a few campaign games to get used to the sequence, before we start "the official Nagoya Hive War."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am

There is a new FAQ up for Necromunda.
https://necromunda.com/wp-content/uploa ... v1_ENG.pdf
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I could be interested. I mean, I am interested, but am a bit afraid to commit because Nagoya is kinda far away and if I get the option to game elsewhere it tends to get preferential treatment. Anyway - put me down as a "probably". As long as I can get hold of a rulebook (digital or otherwise), as I dont have any interest in buying a box full of minis I already have (what is in the box, anyway? Terrain? Tiles? Are they necessary or is a tabletop ok? Howsit work, then?) Anyway. That's my current state of thinking.
In the box are ten Escher and ten Goliaths, 9 double-sided tiles (which are basically flat versions of Forge World's Zone Mortalis resin tiles. The ones in the box are 11.5" across, so I don't know if they're exactly the same size as the resin ones or not). Zone Mortalis is one way to set up a battlefield; Sector Mechanicus (i.e, walkways, gantries and buildings, like us old grognards are used to) is the other way, and it works fine with both. In fact, the bottom half of the game box itself can also be used as a playing area. You also get a load of doors and barricade pieces , consoles (to operate the doors in some scenarios), loot counters and a tentacle which act as scenery and scenario objectives.

Gameplay is ... not really like old Necromunda. It's alternative activation, and each model gets two actions when it's activated. Similar to Infinity, some actions take a single action and can be done twice (moving, for example), some take a single action and can only be done once (shooting) and some take two actions (charging, or firing an unwieldy weapon). Leaders can activate two additional nearby models, Champions can bring one friend. Shooting is much the same as it was, although now if you fail an ammo roll, you can try to reload in a subsequent action. Close combat is more like 40k - the active model makes all its attacks rather than the old simultaneous method - but if the target survives, they get to attack in return. The gangs are more differentiated now; Escher are M 5", I 3+ (handy for avoiding falling off things) but have a Cl of 7+ or 8+ (tests against mental stats - Ld, Cl, WP, Int - are on 2D6) so they're more likely to Break and fail Bottle tests. A failed Bottle test means each individual model needs to pass a Cl test at the start of their activation, rather than the whole gang running off at once. Goliaths are S ant T 4, and have a good Cl - 5+ usually - but have a lower I. Orlocks are in the middle, but I think their leaders and champions have more Wounds compared to the other two gangs, so they're rather resilient. Weaponry is also different - Goliaths get stub cannons (short-ish range, high Strength) and a selection of modified industrial tools as melee weapons (power hammers and "spud-jackers", and big cleavers), cobat shotguns and stub guns, and a rivet cannon as a heavy weapon (either rapid fire or single-shot that can set the enemy on fire - the persistent running around on fire rules are back :D ). Escher get a lot of lasguns and laspistols, power swords, poisoned blades, choke grenades and a chemical sprayer as a special weapon. Orlocks get autoguns and autopistols (which have rapid fire - even in melee, in the case of the pistol) and a harpoon gun as a heavy weapon.

I played scenarios 1 and 2 from the core game last night. In scenario 1 (gang fight), my Escher got badly beaten up by the Goliaths because I couldn't hit anything, and when I did, I needed 5+ to Wound. In the second game (Ambush), the Escher surrounded the Goliaths, and due to their poor I, half their gangers managed to fall down bottomless pits to their doom.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am

I played a game with Konrad a couple months ago. It was a blast. I played the fanatic fashion (forget their name) as a set of rules for my Chaos cultist gang. Bronze Mylek slashed down three squatlisths (burly squats who act as golaiths) including their head ganger and Gory Garth buried his axe into two unsuspecting victims. A number of the Chaos gang bit the dust, but it was all grist to the mill. Glory be the Chaos Gods! Let the hive burn!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 am

job wrote:I played a game with Konrad a couple months ago. It was a blast. I played the fanatic fashion (forget their name) as a set of rules for my Chaos cultist gang. Bronze Mylek slashed down three squatlisths (burly squats who act as golaiths) including their head ganger and Gory Garth buried his axe into two unsuspecting victims. A number of the Chaos gang bit the dust, but it was all grist to the mill. Glory be the Chaos Gods! Let the hive burn!
Not a banner day for the Squat-liaths..... but hey, we can get things started with a grudge to bear, very true to form.
The discussion on Yaktribe is the FAQs need FAQs......... :roll:
I think we will have to come up with some Hive Nagromunda house-rules if we start an actual Turf War.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 am

Konrad wrote:
I think we will have to come up with some Hive Nagromunda house-rules if we start an actual Turf War.
As for the Six Houses, it's not complicated.

I have checked full rules for three Houses (Goliath, Escher, and Orlocks) and found that items are listed on the same prices across the House weapons and equipment lists.

We already have Legacy Gang Lists with gangs' starting stats (I know it's stop-gap, but good to start with) and weapon profiles in Gang War 2. All we need is to discuss about House weapons and equipment inventories (which look plausible in the light of old models and new fluffs) anddiscounts from Trade Post prices (which is usually 5 C, except 10 C for Escher lasguns.)

Return to “Necromunda”