I finally caved; let me know if you're looking for a game

Discuss your games in the Underhive here.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

I finally caved; let me know if you're looking for a game

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:52 am

Necromunda was the one game I was going to resist, but nostalgia for Escher, the current dodgy release schedule for GW stuff in Japan and a desire to try 5 Parsecs From Home saw me take some stock off Ring Tail's hands.

I'm not intending to get deep into campaign play (unless Ash Wastes kicks off the game's popularity locally), but I'd be happy to play it at a post Omicron game day if anyone is so inclined!
Last edited by Jye Nicolson on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: I finally caved; let me know if you're looking for a game

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:29 am

Hmm! This may push me towards getting and painting up some Van Saars, but I probably wouldn't ever get the rulebooks*. And I do have that full set of Necromunda '95 terrain burning a hole in my cupboard.

*Famous last words.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:42 am

Is the game actually playable with any one rulebook? I have 9 painted goliaths (and 10 more on the sprue).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:46 am

It's playable with the rulebook in the Hive War box, which is making its way through the post to me as we speak.

If you want all the good stuff for your gang you need their "House of" book but as I understand it there's enough in the core to run whatever's in the basic boxes for each of the six gangs.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:09 am

Everything I've heard about the game is that every book introduces new rules and rewrites some old ones. So you needed every book to be able to play. Mind you, I haven't paid it much attention recently, so if Hive War is up to date, I may be interested. I've been playing the PC game for a while and it isn't bad. (The AI is incredibly dumb though).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:15 am

I have necromunda in spades! I think I have every gang except redemptionists, but will probably get thme if this takes off. Yeah, I'll play.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:54 pm

Oh no! I want to play too. I have nothing but I can'rt resist the second best GW game ever made. I need to research gangs... what's available... there goes my budget..........

Enforcers or Van Saar or Delaque ....or... Ogryns!!!!!?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:23 pm

Primarch wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:09 am
Everything I've heard about the game is that every book introduces new rules and rewrites some old ones. So you needed every book to be able to play. Mind you, I haven't paid it much attention recently, so if Hive War is up to date, I may be interested. I've been playing the PC game for a while and it isn't bad. (The AI is incredibly dumb though).
Yeah, it's a mess.

Hive War is an up to date version of the rules that gives you a perfectly functioning skirmish game, and basically index versions of the six main gangs. It doesn't have campaign rules, and doesn't have the full skill tables (instead it just has a selection of skills for each gang). This should be fine for one off games but would essentially limit you to the contents of a standard gang box.

The House Of books appear to have almost everything you need for the gang in a self contained way (weapons, hirelings etc have full rules), but don't have the full skill tables either so using just these two things together would just mean you use your Hive War skills except when you can take a skill from your special gang list.

I'm not yet clear on how you get past that, but it's likely the internet could help; Goonhammer has a fanmade campaign system and I suspect there are others, the skill lists are probably around *somewhere*. The latter is probably the main thing - as usual I'd be happy to play in a campaign but it would have to compete with 40k, Malifaux, Kill Team etc etc etc so I'm just assuming some one off games for now.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:44 am

I gave Newcromunda (or the N17 edition I believe it has been referred to by grognards) a go when it first came out. And found it a big snarled up mess just like Jye said. Rushed editing. obviously little play-testing, and just too steep a learning curve for me to get back into it.
But, oh such lovely lovely models.
I've plugged them before and I'll plug them again, the Community Edition Necromunda Rules are a gem. It's the original rules, but edited, balanced and polished up after GW discontinued supporting the game. And are free. https://yaktribe.games/community/vault/ ... ulebook.1/
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:54 am

I've actually always wanted to get into Necromunda since I was a little kid. My brother and I used to use my Guardsmen as stand in gangers since we could never get the actual models. :lol:

I'd be willing to try it. Hard to decide between Orlock or Delaque though.

Return to “Necromunda”