Can we fix this game with a few house rules...

Discuss your games in the Underhive here.
Spevna

Re: Can we fix this game with a few house rules...

Post by Spevna » Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Yep. If it isn't fun and it isn't interesting, Spevna ain't playing.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Tue May 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I'd be up for just taking out all of the unbalanced scenarios altogether, really.

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Back when the outlanders first came out i was the marshal of our little necromunda group. turned out pretty well. when I go back stateside I will have a lot of time on my hands so maybe I can make the scenarios funner or just make up newer ones that are better then. and if you want a marshal to oversee, I could start after I get back.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed May 26, 2010 6:52 am

Thanks to the Admiral for starting this topic. Necromunda is one of my favorite games, broken as it is. I used to play all the time 10-12 years ago and never noticed how screwed up it is until I started playing it again here in Japan. Primarch sums it up nicely.
Primarch wrote:I'm with Spevna on this. I have no problem with losing a game. I wont be happy about it, but I can accept that you win some and you lose some. Having played 1 game of Necro where I didnt actually pick up a dice for the entire game, I can honestly say it put me off the game. The sad part is, the opponent I played was Eric who is a really really nice guy to play against.
The games of Necro I have enjoyed playing have all been balanced scenarios (like the basic mission) against people who didn't make use of the auto-bottle rule just because their sniper took a hit or they wanted some easy xp.
I think the problem areas are the following:
1)Scenarios - Some just screw one player to a ridiculous degree.
2)Skill Charts - Techno vs. Muscle for example
3)Flamers (particularly hand flamers) - No drawbacks, sure they may run out of ammo fast, but 1 shot can bottle a team.
4)The auto-bottle rule - 3 times I have had (different) opponents quit in the opening turns of the game and net 50xp from me, whilst I got 10 xp for winning.

My fixes would be as follows
1) Dont play them, ever.
2) Use the rules Eric found on the net. They seem more balanced.
3) Still thinking
4) No underdog xp if you auto-bottle. Xp is based on gangers present during the game. (I frequently had 4 or 5 gangers in the game, but gave away loads of xp because I had 16 gangers in my gang. I got no benefit from having them, but my opponent got xp for beating them all).
I'd like to add the parry-centric nature of the CC system.
The rules mentioned in 2) and if you Google "Anthony Case Necromunda" you ought to be able to find them. The skills list seems much more balanced. The weapons list much more interesting (and fixes the aforementioned parry-centricism), and the injury chart much clearer to understand.
I like just about everything he came up with. If I were to start a Necro campaign, I'd use like, all of his rules. Translating it all into Japanese for Kondo-san and Stooge would be a bit of work.

To comment on the comments
1) It's just a game, no one can force you to play any given scenario. But yeah, having to get screwed to learn which ones suck, sort of...sucks.
3) The A. Case rules give hand flamers a S3, but they are multi shot just like a regular flamer. I wrote Case himself to double check and he said his group didn't have a problem with it so far.
4) I'd like the no underdog bonus if you voluntarily bottle. Not such a fan of xp based on gangers present, as I hate math. Necro is about a campaign, not micro-managing each fight.

And most importantly, Eric is a nice guy to play against. Everyone love Eric. (repeat after me) He also might have just picked the scenario because he had not played it before, it looked quick to set up, (and, okay, he would not have had to face ALL 16 of those huge Goliaths) and was not expecting the scenario to be THAT easy. oops
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed May 26, 2010 7:05 am

Yeah, that Eric is an awesome guy. He seems to have the worst luck on injury rolls though.

I could be convinced to get back into playing necro again given some changes and a fresh start all round. However for the next few months I'll be busy getting my Malifaux games in.
Steampunk>Cyberpunk
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 am

Konrad !!!! A big WAAARGH to ya man

I am glad you entered our little chat... are there any more rules that or other things that are broken and need work on??

don't be shy... and remember we are trying to fix them as well as make the game more fun and interesting :mrgreen:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 pm

'ello. Ive been lurking and refraining from commenting so far cos y'all seem to be doing a bang up job of working things out without me. I just wanna add that what's been said so far sounds good to me, to wit:

1) chuck the unbalanced scenarios (like ambush n stuff. Rescue also blows goats.) At some point we'll need to sit down and work out exactly which scenarios count as unviable. I also think it wouldnt be beyond us to think up some replacements. These could be similar in theme, or entirely new. The outlanders book (which I have, and you others may have too) has some fun scenarios we could ransack for spare parts. (including rules for such joys as Genestealers and Catachan Face Eaters...) If no-one else wants to do scenarios, Id be willing to take a stab at it.

2) Using the A. Case rules is the way to go, so long as everyone follows point 3, below.

3) we'd all have to start new gangs, as a change of rules at this point will screw everyone up.

finally, like stu i wont be able to play necro for a wee while, as I wanna get in some malifaux and some warmachine. However, both of these are fairly smallish games, and since (as it seems) we're all having a wee rest from 40k, I kinda feel the age of the small game may be upon us. Its all good by me :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Wed May 26, 2010 2:59 pm

1) Once we decide what scenarios to scrap, it'd be cool to come up with some new ones. Some really interesting ones; the halloween zombie one was fun, it'd be cool to have missions with lava or giant robots or like giant zombie robots made of lava or something. I dunno, just off the top of my head. :lol:

2/3) I'd totally be cool with starting over with the new rules. I was never very knowledgable about the old rules! haha I was sort of getting the hang of my gang, but I think I could deal with starting off on the same foot as everyone else.

I'd be ok with starting over. As much as I like my gang, I think it'd be nice to have us all on the same footing for a change.

As for translating into Japanese... I haven't seen the new rules, so I don't know, but how much translating would there have to be? It'd be a shame to lose them due to language.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu May 27, 2010 2:04 pm

the ball is rolling but I love my gang and they are not going to be that different with the new rules... I have only played like 7 games with them... and I did a lot of modeling on them as they got their gear.. I really do not what to change that around... but I will bend to what the whole of the group says... :(
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri May 28, 2010 12:01 am

It sounds like there is some interest in starting a new Necro campaign. I'd be interested in Arbitrating it, but doubt I could get it up and running until September. If I have 5 guys say, "I'm in. Let's rumble!" and 2 say, "I'll help you translate the 3-4 pages of rules." I say let's get started.
Basic outline I would propose
1. Use the Anthony Case Skill list, Weapon list and Injury Chart. (This bit would have to be translated)
2. Use the Anthony Case version of Spyers, Redemptionists, Scavies and Ratskins and Arbites (less important to be translated)
3. Other experimental/homebrew gangs are cool, pending Arbitrator approval.
4. No underdog bonus if you voluntarily bottle out. Only real men get the glory.
5. I will look at the basic scenarios and tweak a few. Don't expect them to be "balanced". Necromunda is a crazy, random, goofy game. Somedays you are up, some days you are down. I'd be impartial, but can't promise to be fair. The Underhive is a harsh mistress.
Other "I found this on the net" experimental stuff is between you and your opponent. I would be crazy to try and micro-manage everything, and furthermore fun is usually a spontaneous event.
6. I'll run a special multi-gang game once every couple months.
If you want in, chime in and make your suggestions/requests at that time. I don't manage commitees very well and would hate to see the momentum get killed by trying to run this by one.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Necromunda”