How many people are still playing Mordheim?

Talk about your games of Mordheim here.
Balloonacorn
Veteran

How many people are still playing Mordheim?

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm

My interest is piqued. Two people were preparing to play Mordheim when I visited gameday! I did a little research and found that several versions of the living rulebook, including an expansion by Wyrd Wars http://www.wyrdwars.com. They have added 14 expansion warbands. I salivate at the modelling opportunities. Has anyone tried these rules? Anyone interested in trying this?

How many people currently have warbands?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Konrad
Wargod

Re: How many people are still playing Mordheim?

Post by Konrad » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:51 am

That game you saw with me and Primarch, was the first Mordheim game we've had in years and years. We did have a regular campaign going, the odd half dozen warbands and fairly regular (for us) games. Mordheim is a pretty old ruleset and I think recently these Warcry/Underworlds games are filling the Mordheim niche with those sexy new GW kits.

The "Living Rulebook" is the original rules with only a couple of errata updates. It's nothing like the epic labor of love re-write the Necromunda LIving Rulebook is. The game does need a few tweaks to make it work and there are lots of fixes. I'll have to dig up the "House Rules of the Damned" we were using. I personally love the game, along with all old GW skirmish games. I'd always be up for a game should anyone want to try it out.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:40 am

While I clearly have minis for a Mordheim warband, as Konrad says, we hadn't played in a long time. The only reason we played last month was because I mentioned that I had been playing the Mordheim PC game and Konrad suggested dusting the original off and playing a game.

Nostalgia value aside, I can't see myself getting back into it. It's ok, but it doesn't quite fit my rather picky* tastes as far as rules go.

In terms of what is played locally, alternatives to Mordheim are:
Warhammer Underworlds
Warhammer Warcry

and the more model agnostic:
Frostgrave
Rangers of Shadow Deep

and on the same skirmishy level:
Malifaux

That isn't to say that people won't play if given the chance to do so, just that people haven't been playing so far. There is always a certain element of give and take between which systems get played, so if you are willing to try someone else's favourite game, they may be willing to try yours.

* Some would say overly critical. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am

I was about to say we should probably have a "play everyone's favourite skirmish game" round robin!

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:34 pm

If a low model count defines a skirmish game, does that make Adeptus Titanicus and Battletech skirmish games?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Karantu wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:34 pm
If a low model count defines a skirmish game, does that make Adeptus Titanicus and Battletech skirmish games?
Low model count - Check
In depth/granular rules - Check
Represent small forces meeting during a larger conflict - Check

Yep, I'd say that they are both Skirmish games. :D

(I mean, technically/pedantically, every game we play is pretty much a skirmish. Real battles are usually fought between armed forces numbering in the thousands and up).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Titanicus is certainly a skirmish game - the designers are on record as seeing it as such. I'd say it's my favorite too, but mostly because Underworlds (my favorite miniatures game), despite its low model count, is a lot more a boardgame than a skirmish game in the sense we usually mean it as wargamers.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:36 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am
I was about to say we should probably have a "play everyone's favourite skirmish game" round robin!
That's not a bad idea.

Return to “Mordheim”