Autumn Mordheim Campaign

Talk about your games of Mordheim here.
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Autumn Mordheim Campaign

Post by job » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 am

Konrad wrote:
job wrote:Hey, with the new Mondo bookstore available, I was wondering if people would be interested in setting up a Mordheim night at the store? Maybe starting next year?
I'll be bringing my warband next Sunday to Joshin if anyone wants to play. Halloween candy for all participants! Hopefully I'll get a little more terrain done before then.
I'll have to check out Mondo. From the other thread, it sounds like it might work out to be a nice venue for a game night.
Sorry, man, not this month. I'm not going because I sold Joshin day for Orktoberfest with my wife. On the other hand, I'd be up for playing some Mordheim the following month, or at Kuwana (Nov. 13th) if you are going there.

@MiJ, why not a Mie group that could be a parallel division/league to Nagoya the way American and Japanese baseball leagues are organized. Of course there would be plenty of interleague play. The title would be nothing more then to have some loose sense of organization and for maybe amending rules like above. Just at idea.

@Badruck, I wouldn't be so negative about things. I think Warhammer is just a very complicated game that is played fairly competitively in our group. As more games are played it seems there are fewer and fewer issues.

Anyway, Mordheim seems much easier to grapple: 1) it is a small skirmish game that can take as little as 30minutes to throw down and play. I've played 3 games in a row before within a 3 hour space. 2) All the rules are universally available and are fairly basic. 3) Games are never balanced. Somebody always is more experienced; the terrain varies; the lists were never designed for balance (dwarves, vampires, beastmen and lizardmen have always been something of the strong suit). So I think people can take it fairly casually without too much invested into this venture (other then creating and painting cool minis and also writing great names for them. :D )
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 am

Ahhh Mordheim.

I built a whole board. It was awesome. Many people came to play, we had about 6 or 8 warbands playing simultaneously. It went on forever. In the end we got bored, packed it away and played 40k. :D
I was going to set a Mordheim board up this Sunday but I probably wont bother if you guys are running something. That reminds me Eric I still have one of your Halloween scenic pieces.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:35 pm

[quote="ashmie"]Ahhh Mordheim.

I built a whole board. It was awesome. Many people came to play, we had about 6 or 8 warbands playing simultaneously. It went on forever. In the end we got bored, packed it away and played 40k. :D
I was going to set a Mordheim board up this Sunday but I probably wont bother if you guys are running something. That reminds me Eric I still have one of your Halloween scenic pieces.[/quot

I remember that game. I don't think my warband lasted until the boring end. The undead horror of VonPryor proved to be immune to arrows and trounced on me and Jus.
This "campaign" is going to be pretty informal. If you want in, make a new warband, use the house rules from the begining of the post, set up that table and go.
Happy Halloween! Which bit is it? I'll pick it up one of these days.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:23 am

@ Konrad

I just PMed you a Mordheim list. If you have any time today, I'd love your thoughts.

Cheers :D

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks again to Konrad for showing Underdweller and I the ropes of Mordheim :D We certianly enjoyed the excitement of the terrain and the treasure hunt.

My 1st impression was slightly negative, due to the fact that we lost horribly! Almost all dead :lol: But in hidsight our rolling was awful and Konrad had Lady Luck's favour.

Still, I found that my race, though i can only go on my observation of the wood elves, did not have anything that made them stand out as being elves. In particular, the war dancers had no advantage in combat vs other enemy henchmen who had spears, and thus subsequently died at the end of said spears' pointy ends after charging. I found that to be rather odd. The 6+ ward save didn't really justify the cost for me of having a war dancer who can't err...dance very well at all. At least give them 2 attacks or something, don't you think?

I know that the whole idea is to train your guys up, but they have to survive the battle to do that.

Hmm...Maybe Underdweller and I just had a bad run of luck which clouded our judgments. Am I talking sense or nonsense here?

On a side note, much of the game Cutlass seems similar to Mordheim, but I enjoyed the combat of Cutlass more than Mordheim, because there seems to be more at play during combat than just a single dice roll, which is important in a skirmish game I think, where you only have a few models. Attacking from the side and back to get an advantage is one example.

Could this be applied to Mordheim I wonder?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:59 pm

I have exactly the same problem with Mordheim. My minotaur, a horrible fearsome beast who costs 200gc to buy, (this takes about 6 or 7 games to save up) is useless. Put him up against a couple of newb humans with spears and they will take him apart. The game combat mechanic just doesnt work. The scariest thing in the game is a human with a spear. Theyll hit you first, and kill you. The fact that you have 3 attacks and a double handed weapon doesnt matter. The only way to avoid this is to be a Kroxigor in heavy armour and carry a shield.

Not that happy with Mordheim, game mechanics-wise, which is a shame, as the setting and concept are great.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:22 pm

kojibear wrote:On a side note, much of the game Cutlass seems similar to Mordheim, but I enjoyed the combat of Cutlass more than Mordheim, because there seems to be more at play during combat than just a single dice roll, which is important in a skirmish game I think, where you only have a few models. Attacking from the side and back to get an advantage is one example.
You have to bear in mind that the guy who wrote Cutlass, Gav Thorpe, was involved in the writing for Mordheim (the background and fluff) and you can bet that he played the game quite a lot along with the rest of the design studio. So it kinda follows that he would address some points of the original that could have been fleshed out more.

To be honest, I never felt that the WFB rules really fit with a skirmish game that well, just as I felt that applying 40k rules to necromunda wasnt great. The Lord of the Rings game rules work well for skirmish level games (until you add the fellowship and then things get silly!) rather than larger battles. Legends of the Old West and Legends of the High Seas used the LotR rules to good effect to make a cowboy game and a pirate game, its just a shame that Warhammer Historical was a lost cause as far as GW was concerned.

Mordheim does have it's good points though. It has a large fan base who have put out a lot of extra material, the background is far more fleshed out than Cutlass (the background of Cutlass is "You're playing with pirates!") and if you are familiar with WFB, it is easy to pick up.

But yeah, humans with spears kick butt.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:23 am

Again, thanks to Kojib and the Underdweller for giving the game a go. I love Mordhiem for the reasons Prim listed. It has just that rich, dark, mad, medieval atmosphere. And for my small ,small brain, it's enough like Necromunda and 40K and the early versions of FB that I am familiar with, that I can keep track of the rules (mostly).

On spears
Elves, or anthing with high IN and spears are a good combination. The spear gives you "first strike", the same as a charging opponent gets. So since both of you "first strike" you compare IN to see who goes first. If the charger has a higher IN, it will go first anyways. Since elves are IN 5, they are awfully handy with them. Goblins would be useless with them.
And I have had a lot of good luck with them.

On minoutaurs and big nasties
I do lean towards MIJ's opinion that the big nasties are not worth the cost you pay. MIJ has not had a lot of luck with his minoutaur. On the other hand, Dungeonlord played an undead warband with an Ogre bodyguard for his Vampire, and was spreading a lot of pain with that combo. The one time I fought MIJ minoutaur, I did take it out, with a slew of arrows, the infamous spear-chicks and a couple of saber-tooth tigers, and a critical hit. To give the big guy some credit, it took a fair amount of work.

On the wood elf list and wardancers
The weakness of the list Kojibear made, IMO, was the Elf Bows. They are real expensive, costing 20gc more than a long bow for an extra 6" of range and a -1 save mod. If you had just gotten Long bows, or even normal bows for that matter, you could have given everyone but the wardancers a missle weapon.
Jumping up on that ledge and letting me have it up close should have worked better, that was bad luck. For up close, a cheap bow works as good as an Elf Bow. If you make a new Warband, I'd drop the Elf Bows and just get long bows for your Pathfinders. Or if you go with Elf Bow, never, ever, ever get close to the bad guys. Use them as dedicated snipers.
I'm not a big fan of the Wardancers either. I think for starting out, regular Warriors are a better deal. If you could ever manage to get a Wardancer to level up to Hero status, it would be a whole bunch of swirly, stabby fun though.

On "elfyness"
I think if you fight some other warbands, and if we played on a table with more levels, you'll see that elven speed and initive coming into play. The special wargear you can buy later is good and fluffy and feels "elfy".

Thanks for giving it a try. Again, the list is according to the writer in "medium" development. It is far and away a better list than the double cheese with extra cheese on top cheese sandwich that is the Shadow Warriors.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Mordheim”