Mordheim is fun, lets talk about it.

Talk about your games of Mordheim here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Mordheim is fun, lets talk about it.

Post by Primarch » Tue May 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey, seems that everyone is busy fighting over how to fix Necromunda, when it's fantasy cousin is sat quietly in the corner all alone.

I have only played a few games of Mordheim so far and it seems like fun. The rules are straightforward and the gangs are more varied than Necro. The game also seems to have more love from GW as well.

Lets all talk about how awesome Mordheim is!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ennui
Veteran

Re: Mordheim is fun, lets talk about it.

Post by ennui » Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm

I don't know anything about it. What's the difference between Mordheim and Necro? The Skaven look like an interesting group...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue May 25, 2010 2:22 pm

I was actually thinking of posting some thoughts on Mordheim in the Contentious Necromunda Thread, but they're probably more appropriate here, heh.

When I first saw the Mordheim advancement rules, I was dismayed that they were so stripped-down compared to Necromunda, but after playing a bunch of the latter without the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia on I actually think it's a good thing. The problem in Necromunda is that advances interact in such complex and often wonky ways that two random gangers with, say, 5 advances aren't actually particularly likely to be similar in power. The simplified Mordheim system helps a little, I think - plus you don't have to spend quite so long on the between-fights phase.

I had an undead gang way back when. Zombies are just intrinsically cool.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm

I prefer the simplified system of mordheim, tbh. The fact that the majority of your gang are minions, and dont get experience so much makes them so much more expendable. so much less stress when someone dies. I also looooove the fact that you can choose your skill when you roll a new one. All that roll a D6 crap in necro is incredibly frustrating. Bulging Biceps is especially daft. You can cherry pick skills in both Blood Bowl and Mordheim, and neither game suffers for it at all. Why does Necro have to be so darn awkward? So, aye, Id vote mordheim over necromunda any day.

And, if I may be so bold as to talk about the elephant in the room, maybe the way to "fix" Necromunda is to model it after Mordheim?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 pm

ennui wrote:I don't know anything about it. What's the difference between Mordheim and Necro? The Skaven look like an interesting group...
Mordheim is fantasy, Necro is SF. Thats the primary difference.
There are others but the game runs along the same rules as Necro. The gangs work a little differently in that you have Heroes who tend to get good advancements and Henchmen who tend to be a little weaker. That said, henchmen can beat heroes in combat, its just harder to do. As The Other Dave mentioned, the advancement system is more balanced and you can choose your skills rather than rolling. (So your heavy guy doesnt end up having the skill for 2 pistols for example).

Sometime I'll show you the game when I have the time and models to do so. (Actually, I have the models they're just spread throughout the twenty boxes in my room).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue May 25, 2010 10:48 pm

mordheim looks like lots of fun. unfortunatly all I have is non-standard teams such as shadow warriors and lizardmen.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Well, when I think of Necro, I think of huge broken spires and towers and twisted metal beams and whatnot. I don't know anything about Warham Fantasy (except I saw a picture of a mohawked dwarf once) so I'm not sure what the board would look like. Part of the draw for me of Necromunda is the complicated terrain and stuff. Is it the same for Mordheim, too?

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Tue May 25, 2010 11:31 pm

It's set in the ruined city of Mordheim (it got creamed by a comet IIRC). As a result, there is usually quite a bit of terrain around. Think grotty, dingy, late medieval Germany (a.k.a. The Warhammer Empire). I've only played a coupla times but it was quite fun.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 25, 2010 11:44 pm

Colonel Voss wrote:mordheim looks like lots of fun. unfortunatly all I have is non-standard teams such as shadow warriors and lizardmen.
Heck, I use Dwarves which aren't one of the standard gangs. bring those shadow warriors along to a game sometime. I'll fill 'em full of lead!

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 am

Mordheim is a fun game but the rules for armour need to be redone I think.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “Mordheim”