Alternative lists

Talk about Epic 40,000 here.
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Alternative lists

Post by job » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 am

So, I'm getting interested in some of the IG lists, primarily the Steel Legion and Siege companies, but the concept I had was a stormtrooper battalion list. I don't know why I like the idea (maybe the models and valkeries), but are there any official lists for stromtroopers?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Alternative lists

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 am

The only "official" lists are Steel Legion and Siege Masters, but fortunately the fan community spends a lot of effort testing variant lists.

For alternative lists, I'd download the file from here: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/ ... hp?id=1469
That's a compilation of all the fan-made and fan-tested lists, ranked by how much testing has gone into them. It has both a Cadian Shock Troop regiment (lots of stormtroopers, mostly on foot) and an Elysian Drop Troop regiment (lots of Valkyries carrying mostly regular IG troops).

I should say: the Tactical Command forums (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/ ... .php?f=109) are where it's at for fan development of Epic - they've basically been continuing the same testing and development process that went into the published Armageddon edition of the game.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 am

Ooh!

Elysians also get these guys, which gives you an excuse to get some of these guys or these guys, and these and their variants make an excellent substitute for the (expensive from GW) Valkyries and Vultures.

No tanks or artillery for the Elysians, alas, but an air cav force is doable for not a lot of cash.
-----

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 am

I love the FW lists I do not thing they are particularly better than anything else out there...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 am

This thread is for Epic, not 40k.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am

So, talking with job today, he mentioned interest in the Shock Troop variant list. Here's a nice-looking list for 2600 points:

Regimental HQ w/ Fire Support and Special Weapons: 550
Kasrkin Company w/ Fire Support and Special Weapons: 450
2 sets of Fortified Positions: 300
Artillery Company: 450
Tank Company: 450
Kasrkin Elites in Valkyries: 400

That's 2 pretty big infantry companies (17 stands each), with respectable long-range shooting from the fire support squads and ridiculous short-range shooting / firefight abilities from the plasma guns in the kasrkin units and the meltaguns in the special weapon units, which get to start the game dug in in fortified positions around 2 of the objectives on your table half. The artillery company is smallish, but still plenty effective (especially if you make them Manticores), likewise for the tanks, and you have stormtroopers in valkyries for quick strikes. Definitely not a pushover force.

Edit to add: Then for 3000 points you can just add air support: a squadron each of Thunderbolts and Marauders will bring you to 3000 even.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 pm

I like the list you wrote up. I think I would field a list along those lines. Maybe I would want to sacrifice the fortresses or fortifications for additional mobile fire support, like Titans or Superheavies ( :D ) , but I think that has the right balance.

The only thing I am confused is how you got the points line for the infantry? I have a list that reads 350 and 250 points respectively for an HQ and Kasrkin Co.

Edit: Oh, wait. I figured it out. The support choices. D'oh!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 pm

There's definitely a few ways you could go with it - it looks like a pretty flexible army. Less armor than the Steel Legion (smaller artillery and tank companies aren't so bad, but no super-heavy companies makes me sad), with harder infantry.

Those fortifications are really tempting, though. 150 points gives you enough bunkers to give 18 stands of infantry Flames-of-War-esque 3+ cover saves - combined with the -1 to hit they'll be very hard to shake. And with razorwire surrounding them they'll be very tricky to assault as well. Remember that since they're all on foot, they Garrison, so you can set up those companies (and their fortifications) anywhere within 15cm of objectives on your half of the table. That makes one objective per fortified company that it's going to be very hard for your opponent to contest.
-----

Return to “Epic 40,000”