Epicstravaganza: Getting Real

Talk about Epic 40,000 here.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Epicstravaganza: Getting Real

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 am

The event: Epicstavaganza I
The time: Saturday, December 3rd, 10:00am ~ 6:00pm
The place: Meihoku Community Center (map: http://g.co/maps/6nxkx ), about 3 minutes from the Heian-dori subway station on the Meijo line, or 12 minutes from Ozone station on the JR Chubu line. There's plenty of coin parking nearby if you plan to come by car.
The cost: 500 yen (or plastic Trolls if you're Badruck)

Schedule:
10:00 - Doors open, unlimber armies, waiting-for-people-to-find-the-venue time (I'll PM everybody my cell number sometime before the event)
10:30 - First game (random match-ups)
1:30ish - Finish first game, break for lunch
2:30 - Second game (winner vs. winner, loser vs. loser)
5:30ish - Finish second game, wrap up & cleanup

Armies:
At the moment, our participants and their armies are:
Primarch - Marines (his own models)
job - Guard (mostly? my models)
Badruck - Orks (my models)
Me - Tyranids (my models)
(This means I have as many as 4 more armies to use - Marines, Eldar, Titan Legions and Gargant Bigmob - if anybody else is interested in coming!)

What to bring:
-A centimeter-marked tape measure
-A small GW template (and a big one in if you happened to make up an army list that includes orbital bombardment)
-An army list, if you're not borrowing an army from me. I really recommend going to the trouble of making something like this, with all the unit and weapon stats in one place. It takes a few minutes, but will save you a lot of time and hassle flipping through books during play.
-A copy of my little rules cheat-sheet here.
-And obvious stuff like dice and your army, if you're using your own.

For people who are on the fence about coming, last-minute decisions to take part are A-OK - but please give me a couple days' advanced notice. I'll need to bring along any extra armies, and if we have more than 2 games going on simultaneously I'll have to coordinate with Primarch about more mats and terrain - I have just enough on my own for 2 tables.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Epicstravaganza: Getting Real

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 am

A couple more files:

I've worked out army lists for the folks (Badruck and job at the moment) who are borrowing armies. Here are links - if you can, please print out your list and bring it, along with the rules cheat sheet linked in the previous post. It couldn't hurt, too, to look the list over and make sure you understand whatever special rules are applicable to your army and units!

Orks

Cadians
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:52 am

I've heard from all the participants via PM, but all the same it feels right to give this thread a bump. :D

We're on for tomorrow - see you all in the morning! Anyone else who's interested, feel free to drop by and chat and take a look. It should be fun!

(knock on wood, heh)

Hopefully I'll remember to take plenty of pictures.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Awesome event TOD! Great place (convenient, warm and clean with good food nearby). Your collection is awesome and thanks for the games.

I think epic is a great system after playing again. I really like the system of back and forth with the suppression/break system.

But I think I will have to fiddle with the Cadian list to get the feel I want. I still feel the list could use some more down range fire with more ability to concentrate fire. On the other hand the list is incredible in an assault. It our times it beat tyrannies and space marines in scrapes!

Good game to prim and TOD. I look forward to hearing if the Cadians made through their second battle.

I should apologize a bit for griping one too many times. I felt weird without coffee this morning. But I do feel my luck was on the poor side today. Anyway I'll hold my tongue a bit more next time. Also I think with a few more games I could really get the flow and help speed up the game.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks to ToD for organizing the event. Epic Armageddon is the second greatest 6mm game I have ever played. :lol: :lol: :lol:
job wrote:Good game to prim and TOD. I look forward to hearing if the Cadians made through their second battle.
The game ended with objectives drawn on both sides so it went to victory points. Sadly the plucky Cadians had lost too many men from their big expensive units and so the Marines snatched a victory, but I really had to turn up the heat on turn 4 because ToD nearly had me at the end of turn 3.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:48 pm

job wrote:Good game to prim and TOD. I look forward to hearing if the Cadians made through their second battle.
It was close! Came down to victory points at the end of turn 4, and some rallies on the Astral Claws side and failed rallies on the Cadian side cemented that.

I think the Cadian list, like a lot of variant lists, is pretty focused on one particular playstyle - in this case, a mostly static defense with limited (but quality) support. It actually suffers a bit from being a sort of a hybrid. Neither as focused on defense as, say, Siege Masters, nor anywhere near as mobile as the Steel Legion. I think they'd take a bit of thinking and practice to really come into their own, but I can see a strong list in there - as you say, they're wicked good in an assault, nearly as good as marines but with much larger formations.

You may want to look into Marines or Chaos, if only because they're super easy to come by, if you don't mind using regular marine models for Chaos marines - and I wouldn't. The Black Legion (pdf here) has the same 1+ activation as regular marines, misses out on the hard-to-suppress thing (but has larger and cheaper formations to compensate) and has plenty of flexibility in terms of support. No whirlwinds, alas, but you do get to make up for it with other chaos goodies.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Huh. I thought I made a post with pictures - must have forgotten to hit "post" in the shuffle. Anyway, here are some:

Looks like I didn't manage any pictures of Prim and Badruck's game - perhaps because it ended so quickly! ;)
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Looks like a fun time was had by all. I woulda liked to be involved, but alas, was working today. Next time, perhaps...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:14 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
It was close! Came down to victory points at the end of turn 4, and some rallies on the Astral Claws side and failed rallies on the Cadian side cemented that.

I think the Cadian list, like a lot of variant lists, is pretty focused on one particular playstyle - in this case, a mostly static defense with limited (but quality) support. It actually suffers a bit from being a sort of a hybrid. Neither as focused on defense as, say, Siege Masters, nor anywhere near as mobile as the Steel Legion. I think they'd take a bit of thinking and practice to really come into their own, but I can see a strong list in there - as you say, they're wicked good in an assault, nearly as good as marines but with much larger formations.

You may want to look into Marines or Chaos, if only because they're super easy to come by, if you don't mind using regular marine models for Chaos marines - and I wouldn't. The Black Legion (pdf here) has the same 1+ activation as regular marines, misses out on the hard-to-suppress thing (but has larger and cheaper formations to compensate) and has plenty of flexibility in terms of support. No whirlwinds, alas, but you do get to make up for it with other chaos goodies.
Good to hear the game was close. Did you guys play another?

As for collecting chaos, I looked at the list and chaos models. I m okay with the idea but actually I'm not to thrilled with the idea because of their style. I do like the IG lists but I would just want more range or maneuverability then today's list. And that's not to complain or disc your list, but I would need a little more ability to mass firepower like the way your Steel Legion list did.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:19 am

me_in_japan wrote:Looks like a fun time was had by all. I woulda liked to be involved, but alas, was working today. Next time, perhaps...
I'm thinking of running this twice a year - maybe I'll alternate between Saturdays and Sundays, so all interested parties have a chance to come.
-----

Return to “Epic 40,000”