Alternate Cadian lists

Talk about Epic 40,000 here.
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Alternate Cadian lists

Post by job » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 am

Hey guys I was thinking about what kind of imperial list I eanted to build and i think the Cadians are a good starting point being very burly in combat and firefights.

I have to concedingly agree with TOD's experience and wisdom in this game. The list is static in nature and defensive minded so the fortifications suit its style. I think it needs three infantry formations to balance it, but I also think it needs range, the ability to bring extra firepower where needed and something to challenge titans.

Cadian list
Hq company+ support platoon + chimeras
Company+ support platoon+ sniper
Company+ support platoon+ sniper

Tank company
Artillery
Super-heavy (Shadow sword)
Super-heavy (Shadow sword)

Thunderbolts
Fortifications

3000 points

Well what do you think? Any considerations?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Alternate Cadian lists

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 am

Definitely a solid list! If it didn't take you to 3025 points I'd suggest swapping out the snipers for a formation of sentinels, for a fast-moving objective-snatching and mop-up unit, but really that list should be a strong place to start.

Shadowswords also happen to be the only superheavy Forgeworld still stocks - 19GBP (2400 yen currently) for 3 as opposed to 2700 yen for one from GW. Literally cheap at twice the price! The FW Thunderbolts work out to be about the same price per model as the GW ones, but look much better and are significantly larger - they're actually to scale, while the old metal ones, for some reason, are not.

Seriously though, check out alternate manufacturers for tanks - not least because the sets available from GW are in Steel Legion unit sizes and you'll get extras. 6800 yen for 10 Leman Russes from GW, or 7GBP (850 yen currently) for the 7 MBTs you'll need from Brigade. They've also got self-propelled howitzers for basilisks for 1 pound each, and perfectly acceptable APCs for chimeras also for a pound. The infantry company from GW is actually a good buy though - you get exactly as many stands of guardsmen as you need for 3 Kasrkin companies for 3000 yen.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Alternate Cadian lists

Post by job » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am

Yeah the snipers are just filling the last 100 points and adding extra stands to what suspect are the line units. I could also purchase flak units, but that would cost a little extra moula. I'd invite the sentinels if I could be forgiven for going over. :?

I like the suggestions. I'll try to order from Forgeworld. I'm sometimes a stickler for the correct models and I like the webbing and gear in the GW tanks but it is true the price is grotesque.

I'll keep toying with variations until I can order. But I'll probably look to get the IG grunts sooner.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Epic 40,000”