Why do you or don't you play 40k?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Why do you or don't you play 40k?

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 am

I'm keen to take a pulse of the 40k game here in Japan.

As for me I play for fun the wacker the game goes the more fun I am having. I love to see a unit of grots charge terminators and win...I love to see my Nobs shoot an a tau unit to death in the shooting phase. But even mor than this I love to see the models painted and looking good. On a board of beautiful terrain.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Why do you or don't you play 40k?

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 am

Why 40k? Er... because I like it, I guess.
I like the fluff and background that make up the 40k universe. It can sometimes be a bit derivative of other settings, it isnt always consistent and at times it can be poorly written, but there is still something about it that I love.
I like the models, be they space marines or eldar, some big gribbly nids or ranks of guardsmen. I enjoy building them and the creativity that the multi-pose models provide. Painting isn't really my thing, but I like to see a nicely painted army on a nicely painted set of terrain.
And I like the game itself. It flows fairly smoothly, and is a fun way to pass the time with friends. Thats not to say the game is perfect, but it is enjoyable. I'm happy to win, lose or draw so long as I have fun playing and my opponent appears to have fun too. I enjoy close games where it comes right down to the wire most of all.
So yeah, I play 40k because I like it. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

pretty much what Prim said, but a much heavier emphasis on the painting side of things.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am

I'm at a crossroads with 40k really.

I love the setting, the stories, the miniatures, seeing a fully painted army on a neat board. However the game itself has lost a lot of its luster. It started with the release of the IG codex. While it is cool with the tanks, a lot of the flavor was lost. This flavor is what I enjoy so much about the guard. Yes in the old dex I lost every game, but boy did I go down fighting, down to the last bullet.

When we were doing the Badab war, the Minotaurs were great, then came Nagoyahammer and trying to force the Minotaurs to be what they weren't so I could field an army. Let's face it, they aren't Wolves and just doing Blood Angels without all the cool options just isn't fun.

Finally, the Grey Knights reminded me so much of 2nd Ed. Codex chaos, but at the same time they aren't, so that dragged me down.

Add in the Flames of War portrays how I feel the guard should really be like (massive diversity and flavor), how Warmachine brings back the fun feelings of 2nd Edition, and that the only army I have besides guard is deamons of chaos and that isn't even 1500 pnts.... well I'm not sure what to do really with 40k anymore. :cry:
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am

@Voss - I have started a new thread over here to try to address some of what you said.

I think part of it may be that Warmachine and FoW are new, whereas you've been playing 40K for a while. Obviously something fresh and different has a certain appeal and there is no harm in taking a break from one game to play something else for a while. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

40k is great. It is a great game to do just for kicks. I think it is maybe the most suited system for team games. Competitively also it is good, but I have issues with how the rules are released by GW (in installments spaced by months with some rules and codexes left to pasture for years, sometimes a decade at a time.).

Currently, Black Powder occupies the place where my 40k army should be, but I think this is fine as GW is rumored to soon release a new wave of CSM. Hopefully that sparks new interest in me to pick a new faction, buy some nice models, paint them and enjoy some games.

Certainly Prim's last point has particular merit in our group as Cutlass, Epic, BP, Warmahordes and other games are all played along side 40k, WHFB and FOW. There are lots of choices and so little time and money. (and space!) :D
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:04 pm

I play 40K because I like the setting and the miniatures. As for the rules, the best that can be said is that they're not so bad as to put me off wanting to use my models. Most of my fellow gamers are still brainwashed into thinking that you need to use company X's rules with company X's miniatures. I'd much rather play 40K using Tomorrow's War or Future War Commander - or Infinity, if I could ever be bothered to work out appropriate stats for everything.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm

I think this it's really true. The rules are there just to give the models more use I guess mixing lore and rules is very hard to get right. It would be nice to have a good set of rules that was balanced over the nine codex armies but I guess that is not really something GW is willing to invest in.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

AndrewGPaul wrote:I play 40K because I like the setting and the miniatures. As for the rules, the best that can be said is that they're not so bad as to put me off wanting to use my models. Most of my fellow gamers are still brainwashed into thinking that you need to use company X's rules with company X's miniatures. I'd much rather play 40K using Tomorrow's War or Future War Commander - or Infinity, if I could ever be bothered to work out appropriate stats for everything.
Yes. Yes indeed.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 am

I don't play it because the setting is pants on head retarded and an army costs like a thousand dollars.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”